My bad accident!

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Sunday morning about 0730 I come over a slight rise as a highway patrolman pulls out 5 feet in front of me... I didn't have enough time to swerve or brake, only enough time to swear and think " this is really going to hurt " I hit him at 55mph right at his driver side tire, flew over his hood and landed about 10 feet past the cruiser! He has dash cam of this but I have yet to see it! Apparently I was taken by ambulance to a local hospital then care flight took me to a big hospital 2hrs away.
After I hit the ground the next thing I remember was the care flight as I was unconscious for awhile. I then spent 2 days in the hospital waiting on a surgeon for my right arm that now has 3 fractures, my surgeon canceled last minute today and I'm scheduled for surgery with him on Thursday. The delay is concerning and I will be calling other doctors tomorrow to find someone I trust and can trust and will create for me quickly (or at least when they say they will). Also concerned that I was prescribed A LOT of oxycodone, this medication scares me because of all the news surrounding it!
I haven't seen the bike yet but the tower and officer think it's toast! Sever friends have suggested I get a lawyer but currently I plan to see what they offer financially before I lawyer up...
Currently typing with my left hand as the right is trashed pretty bad...
ATGATT! Probably the only reason I survived!

I hope to be back to work in a week but have no idea how realistic that is yet!

Your suggestions dealing with this situation are very welcome and appreciated

OUCH!

Last edited:
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Yes, you need a lawyer... just because it is the police or sheriff dept, doesn't mean they will own up to a mistake.... Patrolman could say they had lights and siren... bike failed to yield. I'm sure there are ways to determine those circumstances.... but to get the most effective action from any defendant party, you should get a GOOD lawyer.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Glad you are able to post about it! And sorry the accident happened! Heal well, and pray the docs do a good job on your arm!:)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Jethro-

First off, I am glad to hear it is "only" a broken arm. ATGATT is no coincidence.

I'm neither doctor nor lawyer, and don't play either on TV so my opinion is just that. Do what the medics recommend- they're trained professionals and have a LOT more experience in that arena than me. Now, for my unsolicited opinions, unconstrained by actual knowledge...

Apart from the fact that mine was entirely my fault while yours was evidently not, our accidents are quite similar. Whereas you broke an arm, mine did the left patella (turned it into a jigsaw puzzle) and right tibia (clean break just above the ankle). Expect that the ache will set in tomorrow maybe, once the shock has well and truly worn off.

Your surgeon is not free until THURSDAY??? For cryin' out loud that is too long- I don't care HOW important his golf match is with The Judge. Get someone who can see you TONIGHT, or tomorrow. Broken bones start to knit pretty fast and the longer they go in the wrong positions the harder it is to set matters straight, as it were.

Don't treat the oxycodone like M&Ms but when the pain gets bad enough don't be afraid to do something about it. In my day it was Tylenol #3 (30 mg codeine in every tablet); I have no idea how the two compare.

I too was unconscious for a period of time- I have no idea how long- but regained consciousness before I was transported from the scene. Does not *seem* to have done any long-term harm but how do you measure what is against what might have been?

Back to work in a week seems ambitious to me, but medicine has advanced in the 36 years since I wrecked my Dad's bike. Maybe it's realistic now?

Best of luck to you- hope the cops do right by you and do not try to stiff you.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Wow! Glad you are able to post! Can't offer much of any suggestions, but hopefully you will heal quickly and fully.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Glad your able to tell us about it.
Hope you get a surgeon asap. As for the oxy....right now don't chase the pain. Keep medicated for now, the doctors will ween you off the drugs. But, you might be taking them for some time so, as long as you don't take five every two hours, you'll be OK. They will reduce the meds soon.
That's all I have, next.............

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Really sorry to hear this! Glad your able to post and your attitude seems great! That'll help a lot!
Keep us posted and glad it wasn't worse!

Troy

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
From my experience.
Don't worry about nothing until your all healed up.. sounds like you won't be working anytime soon! You will see why once they start fixing your arm.
Next- Medical and service bills will pile up beyond belief and costs. Unless your really rich, you won't afford the ridiculous costs. especially that air lift!
You will find out that the hospitals will at first bill your primary medical insurance which they will ultimatily refuse to pay. Then you will need to lawyer up. you do need to call your cycle insurance asap.
The cops are working for the state.. they will offer nothing. At this time you are dealing with the state and its employees. You are way down on the list! They will wait to hear from your lawyer.. gauranteed!

Other than that.. Glad your alive man!

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sorry you find yourself in this position. You need to get a lawyer as soon as you can. I am sure they will deny any fault and more than likely blame you. I had to take the City I work for to court as they would not pay me for work that was authorized by the City, as someone there said it was a conflict of interest for me to do work for the City even though they had me do work in the past and paid me.

I hope you get your surgery done soon and correctly. Good luck with this mess.

Bike
2009 ST 1300
Glad to hear you're doing reasonably well. As far as the medical staff you need to trust them but you need to be your own advocate. Lawyer lawyer lawyer they work for you please find a good one. Good luck!

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Jethro.....dude! Glad you are still here to post!!! Def on the lawyer!!! Get one now and be ready when you need them. All municipal districts have limited budgets. They may offer a settlement but it will not cover your future loss. Don't rape them but cover your costs.

ToddC

Bike
1998 ST1100
O-man, that sucks. Glad you are still breathing!
Watch yourself with the pain killers, it seems half the people that use them get addicted. For me, they just make it so I can't poop...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Dang, Jethro! Glad you survived. Whew!

Jeeeze, don't worry about addiction at this point. Take what kills the damn pain. If the Vicodin doesn't work, tell'm and hope the Percocet works better. BTDT just recently again (back). Take as directed, of course. I always wondered where the freek'n "drug high" was. Never happened. I was glad I could just get some blessed sleep. 24/7, unrelenting, debilitating pain is a *****!!.

It took Fentanyl in May, the first time in ER, morphine the second. I was ready to knock myself out with a hammer otherwise. Pain drugs are a blessing, don't suffer. Ever had a kidney stone attack? Wounded in combat? BTDT too. Don't suffer needlessly. MNSHO

John

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow like others said, Get well soon and keep chasing the doctors. Not sure why all the delays. See if you can get a statement from the officer admitting it is his fault. Also hoping he will pay you a visit at the hospital as he cut out in front of you and put you in there.

Top Bottom