Drink Holder...

STOC #
Ok, I have to share this with you...

I have a spun stainless steel drink holder on my desk that I have been using for years. It does a great job of keeping my many cans of Diet Mountain Dew cold as I drink them throughout the day.
I was thinking how nice it would be to have this available to me on my PC800 while I ride... after all, that's one of the reasons I bought a modular helmet... so I could take a swig without having to remove it. :)

So I get this great idea that I would order a couple new drink holders, and put those large magnets on the bottom... you know... the Harbor Freight kind.
Then I could just slap it down on the gas tank and not have to deal with some wobbly-dangley-hangy-offy kind of thing growing out of some knob on my handlebars (something I wanted to avoid from the get-go).
So I get the drink holders, I attach the magnet on the bottom with some silicone glue, and ta-da. Genius.

Then I take it over to the bike and find out... the tank (actually the "Shelter" as it's called) is... wait for it... PLASTIC.
Duh... never even thought to check... every bike I ever owned had a steel fuel tank.

Not to be dismayed, I simply removed the Shelter and put the other magnet underneath with some additional silicone glue. There was plenty of room between the underside of the shelter and the top of the air breather box.
Now, I have this invisible "sweet-spot" that causes the can holder to hang on like mad.

Lastly, just to save the paint, I put some black felt under the bottom of the magnet, and a 6x6 piece of clear 3M plastic on the tank over the magnetic sweet-spot.

It works great, and sometimes freaks people out because I can ride along, at speed, with a drink delicately balanced on my "tank".

Jim

Mag Mount Holder.jpg

I'm planning to do this to my recently acquired ST1100P next.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Could be a good idea. I use a 70 oz CamelBak bladder for water and a 1L CamelBak bottle for Gatorade. They get tucked into my tank bag.

But for really short trips, that 12oz can might work. ;)

But seriously, a big high five for creativity. My ST came too me second-hand. The previous owner did custom fabricate a hoder for bottle /coffee cups. First thing I removed... after my can of V8 froze solid on the commute to work.

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
... But for really short trips, that 12oz can might work. ;) ...
Don't forget, my PC800 has a built in trunk that doubles as a cooler... fill with soda's, top with ice... pull the drain plug when done... Coleman's got nothin' on me. :)

vp4635517_9_large.jpg

Of course it's kind of hard to grab another can without stopping and getting off the bike.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I did a similar thing to the ST1100 I own.... did not want a tank bag with straps, so I purchased a magnetic tank bag and epoxied some mating magnets on the underside of the shelter to secure the tank bag. Works great!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
JMartin said:
It works great, and sometimes freaks people out because I can ride along, at speed, with a drink delicately balanced on my "tank".
:rofl1: That's something I'd consider for the 1300 if doable. I'm getting a couple of those cooler regardless. Those are nice.

T_C said:
...after my can of V8 froze solid on the commute to work.
Ok that right there tells me (fair weather rider) that your commute is either too long / the weather too cold or BOTH. You'd think the sodium content would prevent freezing!

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
:rofl1: That's something I'd consider for the 1300 if doable. I'm getting a couple of those cooler regardless. Those are nice.
They do work well. Double walled insulated spun stainless steel.
I also made one out of a foam-lined type holder, but it doesn't hold the can tightly and when it rattles around drinks sometimes splash out of the top.
Might be better for hot drinks, but I'm not a coffee man, and can't remember the last time I saw any in cans.

Foam Lined Junk.jpg

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You'd think the sodium content would prevent freezing!
Yeah..actually I was mistaken.. guess brain freeze. The V8 does get really cold but I don;t pop the top till I am at the office. What froze was some apple cider I had in an insulated coffee type mug.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
What froze was some apple cider I had in an insulated coffee type mug.
LOL! That does very little to make me any less of a fair weather rider. A drink any drink freezing in an insulated cup on a ride to work tells me I should be home with the covers pulled over my head! :rofl1:

peterz

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
They do work well. Double walled insulated spun aluminum.
I also made one out of a foam-lined type holder, but it doesn't hold the can tightly and when it rattles around drinks sometimes splash out of the top.
Might be better for hot drinks, but I'm not a coffee man, and can't remember the last time I saw any in cans.

Foam Lined Junk.jpg
Did you make the holder or was it purchased and what brand does it happen to be? Thanks

OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Last edited:
OP
OP
JMartin
STOC #
Had the "shelter" off the ST1100P today, so I flipped it over, scuffed a round spot of foam rubber off the underside with a wire wheel and glued on another opposing magnet.
Easy-peasy. Now I have two plastic tanked bikes that have the magic sweet-spot.

Top Bottom