Do you carry your Autocom and radio to your bike each time and hook it up?

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm interested in hearing about it if you do. Mine is under the seat, but there isn't room under the seat of my wife's KZ750 with no additional storage yet. It would make sense to have all of the components stowed in a nice little case, then make a couple connections to the bike. We recently road tested some out of date TK-3131 radios for our first bike to bike communication. It had very good reception for the distance we ride apart so the short antennas probably won't even have to be exposed to keep the radio out of the weather as well.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm liking that idea. We have put it in a book bag but she has to strap it to the back seat once it's in the bag. I'm thinking of a container, or bag, we can attatch to the backrest I just made, then a quick disconnect once we get to our destination.
I will of course include pictures when it all works out.
It will have to be in it's own container, she would like removable soft panniers, so the wires would likely get tangled up in something.

Last edited:

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
My Autocom has finally bit the dust so I will probably be going to the Sena since I can't find anymore Autocom cables. I keep mine under the seat but I don't use a 2 way with mine.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Mine is under the seat, but there isn't room under the seat of my wife's KZ750 with no additional storage yet.
Seems da wiffer will need to hustle with an electric tank-bag then...

On my ST's the Autocom sits in the tail-cone (underneath/behind seat, together with the bike-alarm and car stereo), the Kenwood radio stowed + wired (battery eliminating adaptor) in the front storage compartment (antenna socket modded to a BNC-connector... I've seen >3 mile range on areas with visual connection ;-) )

Bike
2006 ST1300A
You can see what I did for installing/removing multiple e-farkles among the photos at the following link. Three Ram ball mounts (2 locking), one +/- connection and a plug-in coax cable & I'm ready to ride.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2554

I bought an Autocom and all the accessories to replace the AM/FM radio in my "removable dashboard," but never got around to rigging it up. Bought a Midland CB to add, too, and it's also collecting dust.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for sharing. We did recently travel with a tank bag and it worked nicely. I made an attachment for the push to talk and to power her autocom that are quick disconnects. Now it's just time to get more used to using it.

Top Bottom