Turn Signal Problem

2006 ST1300. Turn signal cancel suddenly stopped working. Both turn signals work fine, just won't cancel. Can just the turn signal switch be replaced or does it require the entire assembly? . Just filled tank and was on way to ride. Bummed. Thanks for feedback

Contact cleaner is the first fix.

My ST1100 turn signals were totally inoperative when I got the bike a few weeks ago. Bought a can of contact cleaner at NAPA (CRC brand if I remember) for about $8. Putting a rag underneath the switch I sprayed into it thru the slot for the button while moving the button back and forth. After about 3 repeat attempts (testing in between) they started working, one bulb at a time. The cancel function was the last bit to return. I finished up with a shot of Tri-flo lubricant sprayed thru the same slot. They have worked flawlessly since.

I used the same contact cleaner to clean my sticky locks, followed by a liberal dose of dry spray lubricant (Teflon). (Helped, but the final fix was a proper key made by a real locksmith.) That contact cleaner is really good for cleaning up lots of internally sticky parts.

STOC #
Contact cleaner is the first fix.

... That contact cleaner is really good for cleaning up lots of internally sticky parts.
On my list of cans to add to the shelf! Thanx.

[Edit: Whoa... just got back from Ace Hardware... $8.99 a can... ugh.]

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The switches in the ST1300 switch pods aren't difficult to take apart for cleaning and relubing. No little balls or springs fly across the room. Cleaning and lubing all moving parts ensure the switches last a long long time. Just spraying into the switch opening doesn't necessarily get the done well or replace the electrical grease washed out by the contact cleaner.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Although a spritz of contact cleaner will likely solve the immediate problem (not being able to cancel the signal), the inside of the switch mechanism does need to be lubricated after it is cleaned, because there are quite a few mechanical bits in there.

It's not difficult to take the left handlebar switch assembly apart for a thorough cleaning and lubrication. Just take a lot of photos as you disassemble it, because the process for re-assembling it is not intuitive, and the various wires and clips within the assembly need to be put back in exactly the same positions that you found them in.

After taking the turn signal switch apart and cleaning it, I used dielectric grease to lubricate the moving parts of the switch assembly. It now operates much more easily (in other words, with much less effort required) than it did before.

Michael

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Although a spritz of contact cleaner will likely solve the immediate problem (not being able to cancel the signal), the inside of the switch mechanism does need to be lubricated after it is cleaned, because there are quite a few mechanical bits in there.

Some of the contact cleaners will attack different plastics. My thoughts are to use one of the cleaners or WD40 to flush the switch in question. If it starts working, you know the problem. Take it apart and clean and lub. it.

OP
OP
Thanks to everyone for the help. Ran to NAPA and picked up some contact cleaner and grease. 20 minutes later had good as new switch. Back on the road and enjoying the great weather. Hope everyone has a super safe Labor Day!!

Top Bottom