Clutch lever adjustment

Bike
ST-1300
STOC #
Hey guys, need some help. Have not have a chance to ride this summer due to a crazy work schedule. Started the bike up today and the clutch has no resistance at all. I don't have enough technical knowledge to know where to start. Took the clutch lever off and made sure that everything looked like I think it is supposed to. Any suggestions on adjusting so the clutch will disengage?

Steve

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Sounds like you need to bleed air out of the hydraulic system. If you've not done it before, here's how I do it:

Buy some DOT4 fluid, and get some clear tubing that will fit snugly over the bleed nipple on the clutch slave cylinder.

Protect the bodywork with an old towel, and remove the master cylinder reservoir cover (metal cover, plastic insert, rubber diaphragm). Try not to drip brake fluid on any painted parts, wash off with water if you do.

Ideally, suck out old clutch fluid from the reservoir with a disposable syringe and mop out any crud, but don't touch the brake lever until you refill the reservoir with clean fluid.

Put a suitable sized ring spanner over the slave bleed nipple then the plastic hose, and direct that into a waste container. Crack the nipple slightly loose, then hold the clutch lever in, and open the nipple to allow fluid to be released. Close the nipple gently, then release the lever. Repeat the process of lever in, open and close the nipple to let off pressure, release the lever. This will pump fresh fluid down the clutch line from the reservoir and push out any air that is in the line.

You may need to keep bleeding the clutch repeatedly (be patient!), hopefully you will see air bubbles expelled at some point, and the fluid colour will change to fresh lager beer colour. You should also notice the clutch feel coming back to normal spring resistance.

Keep an eye on the reservoir and don't allow it to drop low enough to suck in air, top it up as needed. When nothing but clear, clean fluid is being expelled you are finished bleeding, so carefully remove the tubing, nip up the bleed nipple and fit the dustcap, and refill the reservoir to the upper line, wipe the mating surface clean and refit the reservoir cap.

Dispose of the waste brake fluid thoughtfully, and cap your newly-purchased brake fluid for next time.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
If you cannot find a big syringe - go to the supermarket abd buy a turkey baster - sort of a plastic tube with a narrow mouth on one end and a big rubber squeeze bulb on the other end. Use it to suck the old fluid out of the master cylinder. Fully concur on TerryS words on not spilling fluid on a intend parts. Even a drop is likely to permanently mess up the paint so be sure to cover up!.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If you want a better tool that won't drip, go the RX store and purchase a child's asporater. They are white and about a buck.
They look like an ear bulb, only stronger.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Crack the nipple slightly loose, then hold the clutch lever in, and open the nipple to allow fluid to be released. Close the nipple gently, then release the lever. Repeat the process of lever in, open and close the nipple to let off pressure, release the lever. This will pump fresh fluid down the clutch line from the reservoir and push out any air that is in the line.

You may need to keep bleeding the clutch repeatedly (be patient!)

You might find the job a little easier with a one-way valve that eliminates having to crack and close the bleed nipple repeatedly: something like the Motion-Pro bleeder. Not mandatory but very helpful. It works when bleeding brakes too.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Hopefully your slave cylinder is not shot and you can just flush and bleed the system. I use this tool to make life easier when bleeding.

OP
OP
sglgoose
Bike
ST-1300
STOC #
Thank you guys, back up and going. Is it reasonable for the fluid levels to be low over a certain amount of time, or should I assume a leak?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Is it reasonable for the fluid levels to be low over a certain amount of time, or should I assume a leak?
Assume a leak.

Brake fluid will go slowlydown in the reservoir, but that is just from the pistons slowly getting pushed further and further out.

If you are losing fluid in either case, time for tupperware removal and inspection. Plus.. you do know that clutch/brake fluid is heck on paint. Not bad for the skin, but will loosen and remove the paint.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thank you guys, back up and going. Is it reasonable for the fluid levels to be low over a certain amount of time, or should I assume a leak?
How worn are your pads, if they are completely worn, your reservoir will be low. Just watch out as if you fill it with worn out pads and then when you change them and push your pistons in, the reservoir may spill over from being over full.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Al, I assume you meant to refer to the friction disks, not pads, and I guess the piston you refer to would be in the slave cylinder? In any event, since the bike is 13 years old, if it has a lot of miles on it and the clutch has had considerable use, there is not necessarily a leak, the drop in fluid level may be from clutch wear.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Was wondering what you guys were talking about. :)

Having the clutch line go all squishy after the bike's sat awhile is a common problem. Nobody's sure of the cause. The slave cylinder has been known to fail on older bikes, but the usual symptom of that is fluid leaking out the drain at the bottom of the housing.

My bike sits for long periods because I no longer have a much time to ride, and I've had the same problem a couple of times. The best way to prevent it seems to be regular use, so I make it a point to give the lever a couple of squeezes every so often as I walk by it in the garage.

--Mark

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The best way to prevent it seems to be regular use, so I make it a point to give the lever a couple of squeezes every so often as I walk by it in the garage.

--Mark
I guess that would be a little like a love pat - at least your ST knows you haven't forgotten her ,,,

Top Bottom