Battery question

Bike
ST1300 Pan European
Hello all,

I have a new battery.

This week I have tried to diagnose my fuel gauge problem (3 to 1 bar issue - now solved). I have switch on and off the ignition several times (may be 10) without turning on the engine and now I have not enough power to turn the engine on.
Is that normal ? With my former 1000CBF I don't remember I had such and issue.

Thomas

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yes, it doesn't take much to wind down the battery.. did you figure out the fuel gauge issue?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Is that normal ?
Sadly yes. I was playing with some LED marker lights and doing the same thing - On/Off/On/Off. And the ignition was On only long enough to see if the lights were lit. The next morning all lights looked great but click... click... The battery is undersized for that bike. I think the ST1100 had a higher capacity battery. Even my old GL1000's battery was pretty stout. Some members have shoe-horned in higher capacity batteries but it takes some doing.

OP
OP
thomas63
Bike
ST1300 Pan European
@Mellow: Yes, it is now fixed. I have replaced the jauge with a new one.

Thanks ST Gui, I will now pay attention to that undersized battery weakness. I wanted to be sure that this issue is known.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
@Mellow: Yes, it is now fixed. I have replaced the jauge with a new one.

Thanks ST Gui, I will now pay attention to that undersized battery weakness. I wanted to be sure that this issue is known.
If you ride your ST often, go with a quality lithium battery and lithium specific tender. Be aware that they are more sensitive to parasitic drain than lead acid types.

If it sits for periods, go with a good AGM with a tender.

Lots of good info in the battery section.

Top Bottom