Anybody have any experience with the Sena S3-b bluetooth setup...?

STOC #
Looking for some pretty basic bluetooth speakers to play music from my smart phone. Answering a telephone is an option I will seldom do and my gps is paper and ink in my map pocket. On an occasion when the better half rides along an intercom would be nice... so want something pretty basic without adding anything to the outside of my helmet if possible. looking at the Sena S3-B...anybody tried them? Or is there a better option...? Thanks Randy

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I run an old wired Autocom system that has bluetooth to my phone but it's on it's last leg. I'll probably be going to the Sena S20 soon. If you are going to spend $100 on the S3, I say bite the bullet and pony on up to the S20. Buy once cry once. I don't make calls on my phone but it is nice to be able to answer without stopping when my wife wonders where I am. Plus you will get all the other features of AM/FM radio, bike to bike, intercom, music, and phone.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I recommend the Sena SMH10. It's a proven model, it will do exactly what you're asking about and it's not too expensive. It will be on the outside of your helmet, although it can be removed very quickly and easily.. I've been using one for 3 years and that has never been a problem.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I recommend the Sena SMH10. It's a proven model, it will do exactly what you're asking about and it's not too expensive. It will be on the outside of your helmet, although it can be removed very quickly and easily.. I've been using one for 3 years and that has never been a problem.
Exactly what I use and works great. Not all that expensive. I bought a used one for pennies on the dollar of a new one. Been working ever since. JHMO.

STOC #
Running three Sena 10R's here. Like the SMH10, but next generation.
Slimmer (see pics), larger speakers, Bluetooth 4.1, better battery life, etc...
I really like them. I actually answered my first phone call the other day (I had a pool table for sale on Craigslist, and I knew the buyer was calling), he coudn't even tell I was on my bike.
Intercom functions well between the three of us (Me, Son, Daughter).
Range is acceptable... not the 1/2 mile or more that it claims, but the range is much further than I would ever get away from my daughter anyway (she's a newbie).
Installation in my Nolan N104 EVO was simple, and the external battery fit in the existing pocket within the back of the helmet.
With the battery being external to the controller, it has very long life, and if it ever begins to not accept charging, you can replace it without buying a new device.
I made one small slit on the neck-roll trim for the cable to pass inside the helmet (see pics), and stuck it on the outside over the hole that Nolan provided for their proprietary communicator.
Looks like a factory install in my opinion. Couldn't have asked for an easier fit.
My Son's helmet was not as accommodating, so his battery went on the outside back, and my Daughter took the time to cut a notch behind her neck-roll and hid hers like mine.
I used the goose-neck boom microphone (it includes both types) and I just tuck it up out of the way when not using it (see pics).

It is truly the most comfortable and functional helmet I have ever owned. Adding the Sena 10R just made it better.

Just my $.02.
Jim

Sena 10R Headset 2.jpgNolan N104 Tech.jpg Mount.jpg Cut Slit.jpg Mic in use.jpg Mic not in use.jpg Slim.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
+1 on the Sena SMH10. We have two units that we share across three helmets (wife and daughter share). Several firmware updates over the years, each one adding features and/or improving performance. The phone button activates Siri on an iPhone, allowing voice activation of almost any feature...music, phone, read/send texts, music, helmet to helmet coms, etc, etc... Definitly recommend them.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the photos of the 10R. I have the older SMH10 (I think that's the abbreviation) and part hangs down below the bottom of the helmet. Not much of an issue when riding the ST but when riding dual sport/dirt, I wear a Leatt neck protector and the older Sena caught on the Leatt when turning my head. I like that the 10R gets rid of the clearance issue.

STOC #
Thanks for the photos of the 10R. I have the older SMH10 (I think that's the abbreviation) and part hangs down below the bottom of the helmet. Not much of an issue when riding the ST but when riding dual sport/dirt, I wear a Leatt neck protector and the older Sena caught on the Leatt when turning my head. I like that the 10R gets rid of the clearance issue.
The 10R just sticks to the side of the helmet. No bracket or hanger, so the only thing you might have to contend with is the flat cable.
I ran mine through the plastic trim above the bottom of the helmet, so there was nothing at the neckline at all.
I also chose to just use the double sided tape and not the Velcro, since I knew I would never be removing it from that helmet.
Kept things as slim and aerodynamic as possible. I've never noticed so much as a whistle, let alone any wind drag on the side of the helmet.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
You might want to give Richard Battle a call. His company, RKA, has been handling motorcycle communications gear for quite some time, and he's probably as knowledgeable as anyone you'll find. (I've heard him speak at MSTA and WeSTOC rallies.) Tell him what you want to do, and he'll point you in the right direction (even if it's a less expensive unit.)

Top Bottom