Wheel bearing sound?

Bike
St1300
Hi everyone just recently got a new tire in the ST13 I put a Dunlop Road smart on it got it balanced and put it on to the manual but i diddent tourque it to spec i just tightend the front axel bolt until i felt snug nothing crazy. So I get out riding (about 300 miles or so) and cant help but hear a loud and I dont really know how to explain it but its like a soft hooooooooooot and comes more when leaning and seems even more leaning to the right..... so i figure maybe i have the axle bolt too tight so i loosen it but it doesent seem to help.:confused: Any chance i burned up my front bearings today on a hard acceleration i swear i heard a squeal come from up there cant feel much of a drag but how could you with all the torque :D:biker: But honestly guys did i screw up not torquing to spec?

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
Hi everyone just recently got a new tire in the ST13 I put a Dunlop Road smart on it got it balanced and put it on to the manual but i diddent tourque it to spec i just tightend the front axel bolt until i felt snug nothing crazy. So I get out riding (about 300 miles or so) and cant help but hear a loud and I dont really know how to explain it but its like a soft hooooooooooot and comes more when leaning and seems even more leaning to the right..... so i figure maybe i have the axle bolt too tight so i loosen it but it doesent seem to help.:confused: Any chance i burned up my front bearings today on a hard acceleration i swear i heard a squeal come from up there cant feel much of a drag but how could you with all the torque :D:biker: But honestly guys did i screw up not torquing to spec?
Tire treds will howl when leaning over. Especially an aggressive tread.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You tightened tyd axle and it's bolt to firm, but whag about the axle pinch bolts?

Or it could just be tire noise and the road? ? Same tire as before?

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
My last michelins had a similar issue, around a specific speeds. Drove me nuts. Don;t worry about the bearings, it is most likely the tyre,,

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
...l but i diddent tourque it to spec i just tightend the front axel bolt until i felt snug nothing crazy.
If there's one group of them on the entire bike that's most critical to your safety, the ones that hold the front axle in place are probably it. Fasteners have a torque spec for a reason; get out there and install yours properly. Make sure it's done according to the procedure in the book or you'll have other problems. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

I'd be hard-pressed to believe the bearings could be damaged by mis-torquing the fasteners, but the only way to know for sure is to remove the wheel and check them.

--Mark

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you checked the bearings while the wheel was off, it's doubtful that they suddenly gave up the ghost. By check them, I mean stick your finger in the axle hole and turn the inner race. They should feel smooth with a little bit of drag from the grease in the bearing. No gritty feel, no overt looseness. If you did not check them, then they might have been bad, but bearings usually develop a pit or roughness at one point on the race and then they will clik or vibrate.

I agree, do the procedure right - tighten, bounce the bike, tighten. This (and brake calipers) are not the areas to play fast and loose unless you are an expert mechanic. Didn't someone here recently have a brake caliper bolt fall out? Scary given the possible consequences.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
It's not the wheel bearing. I had a set of front bearings go bad (1/4" of slop at the tread) and never heard a thing. You're much more likely to feel a bad bearing than hear it.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
First thing I would do is remove the wheel and check both calipers, spring clips, needle bearings in the smc pivot point, and to make sure you didn't put the wheel spacers back on incorrectly, inside out, or backwards.
After you put the wheel on, did you pump up the breaks to re-seat the pads? The pads may be binding on the pins etc.
Start over, do everything by the Service Manual, and double check everything three times!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I'd go as far to say that you are risking your life foolishly by not using a torque wrench on critical components like this. Do it right or don't work on the bike yourself.

OP
OP
Bike
St1300
If there's one group of them on the entire bike that's most critical to your safety, the ones that hold the front axle in place are probably it. Fasteners have a torque spec for a reason; get out there and install yours properly. Make sure it's done according to the procedure in the book or you'll have other problems. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

I'd be hard-pressed to believe the bearings could be damaged by mis-torquing the fasteners, but the only way to know for sure is to remove the wheel and check them.

--Mark
Your absolutely right and I knew I was going to get preached at. Im 23 this is a habit ive been trying to shake for a while now. Before when I would torque things I just diddent feel like it was tight enough and I always triple check things. I hear everybody I know y'all a lot of wisdom I guess I need to be going by the book!

I did check the bearing before I put the tire back on and they were smooth I have yet to take it back off and check them. Im eventually going to upload a video riding it so every one can hear it. I believe it is an roadsmart. running 38 lbs in it.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I did check the bearing before I put the tire back on and they were smooth I have yet to take it back off and check them. Im eventually going to upload a video riding it so every one can hear it. I believe it is an roadsmart. running 38 lbs in it.
Just prop up the front end of the bike and grab the front of the wheel with one hand and one of the handlebar grips with the other, now try to move them in opposite directions while observing the axle area closely for any movement. If you don't see or feel any movement there, your bearings are probably fine.

Oh, and while you're at it invest in a torque wrench, loosen everything up and they re-torque not only to the correct tightness but in the correct order.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Your about 4 psi low on the front tire. Fill it up to 42 as the manual recommends and see if your noise goes away.
Your low pressure may be causing the tire to squirm and make noise, as well as very slow and sluggish steering!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Igofar is correct regarding tire pressure, but you would never notice the difference between 38 and 42psi just riding the bike. Torque everything to spec in the proper sequence by the book, then ride it again.

Top Bottom