Avon grips - anyone use these ones?

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
A lot of us have BMW 1100 grips. I love them. They are inexpensive and well proven .
BMW part numbers left #32721458395, right 32721458396

Attachments

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
My preferred grips in order of preference. No glue needed. Aquanet hairspray

BMW grips $13.89 ea L/R - #32721458395/6
Progrips #714 $9.26 pr 714-dual-sport-grips
Oury Road Grips $12.30 pr

Regarding those Avon grips, which I've never heard of, what's the deal with the plastic stuff on the end?

Bike
2010 ST1300

Regarding those Avon grips, which I've never heard of, what's the deal with the plastic stuff on the end?
The description says it comes with interchangeable throttle cams. So what you see in the pic must be one of the profiles that they provide.... There is of course, no guarantee that said cams will work on your bike.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I am curious about those BMW ones as folks seem to like 'em - where did you find them at that price?

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
The description says it comes with interchangeable throttle cams. So what you see in the pic must be one of the profiles that they provide.... There is of course, no guarantee that said cams will work on your bike.
I contacted the seller and he sent me the link to the .pdf for installation instructions. http://avongrips.com/shop/superbike_installation.pdf I was hoping for more than one cam that would work on the ST but it turns out the different cams (2) are for different motorcycle makes.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I contacted the seller and he sent me the link to the .pdf for installation instructions. http://avongrips.com/shop/superbike_installation.pdf I was hoping for more than one cam that would work on the ST but it turns out the different cams (2) are for different motorcycle makes.
Whenever I search for something for my 1300 I marvel that there are any aftermarket items for these bikes at all. After all, how many ST1100 and 1300's were ever made? Someone here posted the numbers (Was it you, Birfil?) and I was surprised that there must be fewer than 20K (a guess, I really don't remember). With cars, you don't expect aftermarket accessories until they crank out a few hundred thousand. Maybe us bikers buy more toys than us car owners. Sorry to hijack this thread.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have Grab-On Grip Covers on the BMW grips. Very comfortable. I've never like factory Honda grips and have tried many different kinds.

I can't put the Grab-On Grips on the ST as the metal cover on the ends prevents the bar-end weights from being attached. They've been my grips of choice for years. But the BMW grips feel very good and have a slight palm swell that I really like. With the G-O covers they have the diameter that helps my hands (some arthritis and trigger finger).

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here's where I got mine the last time -

http://www.flandersco.com/action.lasso?-search&-database=_Flan_Levers.fp5&-layout=Accessories&-Format=AccessoryResultsP.html&-Error=AccessoryError.html&-Operator=Contains&Catagory=Accy8 Grips

The only issue is you have to cut the ends out to put on the bar weights. You just sharpen the edge of an iron pipe about the size of the handlebars (3/4" will work) with a grinder, stick the sharpened end in the grip, place the closed end of the grip on a flat metal surface and give the other end of the pipe a whack. Makes a nice circular hole! ;-)

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Here's where I got mine the last time -

http://www.flandersco.com/action.lasso?-search&-database=_Flan_Levers.fp5&-layout=Accessories&-Format=AccessoryResultsP.html&-Error=AccessoryError.html&-Operator=Contains&Catagory=Accy8 Grips

The only issue is you have to cut the ends out to put on the bar weights. You just sharpen the edge of an iron pipe about the size of the handlebars (3/4" will work) with a grinder, stick the sharpened end in the grip, place the closed end of the grip on a flat metal surface and give the other end of the pipe a whack. Makes a nice circular hole! ;-)
Thanks, but either I can't figure out how to use their website or they don't carry them anymore

Top Bottom