LED Headlights and non-LED Modulator Update

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
As many of you know I have been testing(experimenting) with using LED Headlights with a SDC Modulator.

I have two sets on two bikes. My commuter bike, the Headlight/Modulator are still working just fine.

But, on my 2012, it's a different story. I just got back from a 4,800 mile ride on the 2012. Everything seemed to go well for the first day. On the second day I started noticing my headlights were going off/on on me, no pattern. I made it up to Idaho Falls where I removed the modulator completely. At that point I had both headlights still working.

When riding up Pike's Peak, the left headlight went out completely, no high beam, no low beam.

After doing some testing, I removed the LEDs completely and replaced them with some H4s I bought at a local auto store. No more issues.

I'm "guessing" that the problem was from continuous voltage thru the modulator to the LEDs and some how it caused the modulator to fail, and then one of the controllers from the left LED failed. Too much heat or something? I don't know.

The LED/Modulator on my 2010 is still working just fine, but it is only used in short spurts (1.5 hours at a time). maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know.

So, now I have one LED headlight and a modulator out of commission.

I think I'll look around to see what is out there for LED Headlight modulators. I've been told of a couple so far, but if you did what I did, be mindful if you are riding any distance with this combination.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am interested to hear your findings,, Bob. Will your SDC modulator still work while driving an H4 ?? Cat'
I haven't tested it yet, so I'm not sure. But the problem I saw with the SDC, is that the headlights seem weak when modulating because all the power for both headlights was routed through the left headlight circuit. If you try routing it through the rightside headlight circuit, it's even worse (really weak), powerwise!

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I ran into a similar situation....the LED's didn't work at all....I tested with the H-4's that I had removed and it works like a champion! (I'm selling it on the forum)....
I understand that the Kisan people make units specifically for flashing LED's....
Have fun!

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Put a meter on the output of the modulator and see if it pulsing the voltage or limiting the voltage. Compare to your other unit.
There you go, getting technical on me! ;)

I doubt if I can do anything with it for a week or two, since I'm not about to tear any of my bikes apart to test it right now...;)

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I emailed SDC and they said they are working on a version of their modulator for LED headlights. they are not sure when it will be available, but they put me on a list of those interested when it is available.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay, a little more on this. I said the 2010 was still working fine. One thing that I forgot about was that I did a 1,200+ mile ride with the 2010 back in May. I didn't have any issues with the long ride up and back. And to this day (knock on wood) the 2010 modulator/LED Headlights combination are still working just fine.

So it makes me wonder why the 2012's modulator/LED Headlight failed on the second day of riding.(???)

I still have another SDC modulator (from when I de-FARKLEd the 2004#2) and the LED Headlights have a year warranty, I just might try them again....

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Am I correct to assume the LED headlights and modulators are the same brands all the way around respectively?

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Full disclosure: I am no fan of modulated motorcycle headlights. Consider what it would be like if every vehicle on the road was modulating their headlights.

That said, modulation was designed for incandescent headlight bulbs, with their intrinsic ramp-up, ramp-down intensity as the voltage is increased and decreased. LEDs tend to be off or on, no partial intensity.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I have always used SDC modulators,,, and of the 3 (one on each bike) that I own,, one unit did give up very shortly after installation. SDC, and Motorcycle Superstore replaced it promptly. I am glad that SDC is working on something that can work with LED's. I am still using H4's,,, which came with the bike,, and I believe are SilverStars. They are by far the best bike headlights I have driven with so far. But I am always open to improvements,, and will eventually go to a modulated LED setup,, once all the bugs are worked out. Here is a link to the Kisan product,,, for interest sake,,, Cat'

https://kisantech.com/mag/pfin/p115w-d.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Full disclosure: I am no fan of modulated motorcycle headlights. Consider what it would be like if every vehicle on the road was modulating their headlights.

That said, modulation was designed for incandescent headlight bulbs, with their intrinsic ramp-up, ramp-down intensity as the voltage is increased and decreased. LEDs tend to be off or on, no partial intensity.
Well, let me tell you, when I'm lane splitting (We can do that in California), those headlight modulators are fantastic! Although it seems to really get the cage's attention, the highbeams are needed.

Now that said, yes, you are correct, the LED and non-LED Modulators were not made for each other and there is more of a flash effect, but it is so fast, 99% of the people that see me wouldn't have a clue of the difference. The other 1% are busy giving me a thumbs up as I go by them because they see me coming, when I'm way back.

As for when to use the modulators, you have to learn when it is a good time to use them and when not to. On two lane roads, in normal street traffic, Lane Splitting (High beam) or in heavy freeway traffic are great times to use it, when traffic is moving and it is pretty much scattered, is not. So no, I don't use it 100% of the time. But when I do use it, people see me and that is what they are for!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
TomStickler said:
Consider what it would be like if every vehicle on the road was modulating their headlights.
Fortunately we don't have to consider what isn't. I think somebody took that into consideration when the law was passed allowing modulators for motorcycles and not every vehicle on the road.

The idea is to separate motorcycles from every other vehicle on the road and they do much to nullify the 'I didn't see it' defense.

Headlight modulation legislation was designed for motorcycles which as it happened were using incandescent bulbs at the time. With the advent of factory LED lights there will no doubt be more LED modulators unless DOT says otherwise. Options are good.

Bike
2010 ST1300
So it makes me wonder why the 2012's modulator/LED Headlight failed on the second day of riding.(???)
Every electrician has horror stories of pairing dimmers (yes, even approved and 'tested' dimmer/lamp combinations) and LED's. I'm not suggesting that there are any parallels between dimmers and modulators, but LED technology is still evolving, and there are sample to sample variations that might cause one to die quickly and another to last. I have a friend who has found non CFL (i.e. the 'approved' Lutron dimmers for LEDS) dimmers work better with a lot of LED's than the factory suggested dimmers.

Incandescent lamps are still rated based on the average life of many bulbs, and even though we know about notching and tungsten vaporizing off the filament, nobody can predict how long a given lamp will last (ignoring statistical analysis for the moment).

All this is to say, I think others are on the right track suggesting you measure voltage to determine what died first and pursue why it died. The when answer might come later.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think I know why the modulator/LED headlight quit working. NOt sure of the cause, but when I use the cop switch on the right control, going from position 0 to 1/2/3, the fuse is blowing! I think this caused the rightside LED headlight to short out or something. As long as I turn the headlights off (switch) move the switch to position 1 or 2, then turn the headlights back on, it seems to work just fine.

I'll be replacing the H4s I bought in Colorado last Summer with a set of the LEDs I recently bought!

Now, to see the difference in modulation/brightness of the LEDs VS 55/60 H4s:

55/60 H4s VS LEDs - Modulating

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Okay,,, I could be all wrong here,, but just going from the video visual, my impression is that the LED's are flashing (on/off),,, while the H4's are modulating (pulsing between 18%-100%). The led colour is whiter for sure,, and they are significantly brighter. I am waiting for SD to come out with their LED module before investing in the new LED lamps. One change I made last year was that, to comply with the Ontario Traffic Act, I ensure my beams are lowered when encountering traffic at all times of the day and night. This requirement applies to all vehicles, (modulating or not) and is becoming more of an issue as all manner of beams become brighter. Good luck with the lamp-life,,, Cat'

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay,,, I could be all wrong here,, but just going from the video visual, my impression is that the LED's are flashing (on/off),,, while the H4's are modulating (pulsing between 18%-100%). The led colour is whiter for sure,, and they are significantly brighter. I am waiting for SD to come out with their LED module before investing in the new LED lamps. One change I made last year was that, to comply with the Ontario Traffic Act, I ensure my beams are lowered when encountering traffic at all times of the day and night. This requirement applies to all vehicles, (modulating or not) and is becoming more of an issue as all manner of beams become brighter. Good luck with the lamp-life,,, Cat'
No, you are not wrong! You can't use LEDs on a non-LED modulator! That said, we don't have any highbeam/lowbeam restrictions like that when Lane Splitting here (many riders have their High beams on even at night when Lane Splitting) and as I've said before, most people aren't paying attention to the fact that they are more flashing than modulating, they are just moving over so I can clear them better! :D

I'll be happy too when SDC makes their LED modulator.

Top Bottom