motorcycle dolly

Anyone using a dolly for storing/moving bike around the garage?
Seems to be mixed online reviews regardless of whether they are the Harbor Freight version or the higher priced spreads.

Dave

lti_57

Above the center of the Earth
Bike
95 ST 1100
I dont think there is anything wrong with a harbor freight dolly, It will last you years I am sure.
I like the fact that when the ST is on the center stand and bags off, It's a pretty narrow profile.
If you really like the idea of a dolly I would not hesitate to buy one from harbor freight.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Bike
2010 ST1300
I had one of the Park-n-Move dollies for a while, it was given to me. I used it about a year before selling it. Just too much hassle to get the ST up on it, and back off it when time to ride.. I suppose if my garage was more crowded, I'd have kept it. It worked ok once the bike was up on it. Here is what it looked like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Dolly-Park-N-Move-Park-n-Move-Center-Stand-With-360-Degree-Casters-/311564262260

It did not take up a lot of space either.
That link is NOT the original. I saw these (the robust one, not this one on ebay) at the BMW MOA National Rally in Hamburg, NY. The casters are wider and really heavy duty. The thing rolls easily, and cost $200 at the booth with free shipping. I decided not to buy one because it makes getting the bike up on the center stand more difficult. The guy suggested rolling the bike onto a board the same height as the platform (another bit of fussing around). And getting it down, could be a bit exciting. Now, my objections are for someone who is 5'7" - not you tall guys. Just be aware, if your garage floor is not steel trowel finished, or if there are any small bits of gravel or dirt, the casters will come to a sudden stop. This dolly works great on a smooth, clean concrete floor.

I put tape on my garage floor, roll the bike in backing up over the tape, stop when the kickstand is above the taped 'pocket' and lift the bike onto the center stand or leave it on the side stand. All the jockeying I need. Works like a charm. Of course, if I miss the tape markings, there is jockeying back and forth.

Bike
92 ST1100
When I bought my bike the PO had a DIY dolly he used in his garage + a mini dolly for the side stand. Pretty slick and simple to build. Been planning on copying his idea.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I had one of the Park-n-Move dollies for a while, it was given to me. I used it about a year before selling it. Just too much hassle to get the ST up on it, and back off it when time to ride.. I suppose if my garage was more crowded, I'd have kept it. It worked ok once the bike was up on it. Here is what it looked like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Dolly-Park-N-Move-Park-n-Move-Center-Stand-With-360-Degree-Casters-/311564262260

It did not take up a lot of space either.
Only good up to 500 pounds. ST is 631 pounds

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
If you are interested in this then go to Legalspeeding.com
Their's is rated to 1100 pounds and has a lifetime warranty. Good people.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I have a Harbour Freight one. I'm generally satisfied with it - it sure would be nice if the wheels were a little bigger, and swiveled a little easier, but that's my only complaint. My garage floor is a little rough - perhaps the wheels would not be an issue if I had a smoother floor in my garage.

But, having said that, I would buy it again if I had to get another one.

Michael

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
These guys were at the BMW MOA National rally. Great, quality product. They also sell chocks for your garage floor and trailers. Good people great product. And, while it is not expensive for what it is, it is a lot of money to park your bike.
I have two condor chocks. They will hold bike up no stand. The dolly is a great piece of Kit. Some UK lingo there...if you have a smooth concrete floor they will slide. Some roughness they won't. Dolly is also very well made. I went to the manufacturer great people.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
All of these devices have two things in common which rule them out for me:

They don't themselves lock down making them a bit of an adventure for me to use.

Getting them off the dolly is even more fun. I'm neither skilled enough or tall enough to try the dolly ride to use the one Mellow ref'ed. Even walking it would require me spending 6mo at Gold's.

My buddy has one for his 'Wing and I believe it was a give from a guy who now has an actual hydraulic bike lift in his garage. I don't think the dolly has ever been used in the two years my buddy has had it. A great idea in theory. In practice it's not for everybody.

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Not sure what you mean by lock down the HF one does have a sort of ramp that when deployed raises the wheels off the floor so you can walk/ride the bike on.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SteveST1300 said:
that when deployed raises the wheels off the floor so you can walk/ride the bike on.
Good to know. Thanks. That's what I was talking about.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I decided to pic one of at lunch today from Harbor Freight... it's actually made quite well. I was able to gently ride the Super Tenre onto it bare-footed - okay, not smart, but I did do it - and it went well. My garage floor is fairly smooth and it moves around nicely.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That HF dolly is a pretty good piece of kit. It has a spot for the side stand. This was something I didn't understand thinking you had to ride it on then get off to put it on the center stand. Awwkwaard! This looks like easier option than putting the bike on a little center stand only dolly.

A quick YT vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgyQkJF8dXg

[-]Anybody put an ST on the center stand on one of these?[/-]
Ok it looks too narrow for center stand use.

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I too have the Harbor Freight Dolly. A yearly application of lubricate to the wheels and swivels and it works great. I did find that adding small washers between the casters and side stand plate actually helped with mobility of the dolly. I've been using mine for 5 years now during winter storage.

Top Bottom