Ride like they want to kill you. . . .

Bike
2010 ST1300
Because they would if they could. I was north bound on I5 headed to work when a north bound cage changed lanes in front of a black ford ranger and then stomped on the brakes. The ford swerved into my lane which required evasive swerving and braking. A second faster speed wise and I may not have been able to post. The driver of the ford did catch up and wipe his brow and wave an apology.

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Ugh... unfortunately the best rider can't prevent the stupid actions of others! Glad you got out of the situation safely!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
One advantage in Lane Splitting is that if they don't get you in the few seconds you go past them, they missed their chance!

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Wow Colin!!! Glad you're here to write about it. Big city riding!
Glad I'm out of that environment.

When do you get to bless TX with your two wheels??:06biker:

ToddC

Bike
2010 ST1300
This was open road. Idiot changed into a lane with a semi ahead and ranger behind.
Sorry to say, that might be me some day. Many years ago, I learned to steer my way out of problems as I braked - stomping the brake and skidding kills your ability to steer and usually will not prevent a crash. I'd rather go off the road onto a shoulder or cut in front of someone than rear end that idiot. Would I take out a biker? Of course not, but there are times when I can easily see myself cutting him off with not a big margin of safety - esp if he is not paying attention. Great reason NOT to ride in someone's blind spot, or alongside that car/truck/whatever. Either drop back or pass them.

Bike
2006 ST1300 A
+1 I always ride pretending the cagers are out to kill me. Keeps me alert and anticipating all the stupid things they might do. Kinda like a video game except for real.

Fast Ed

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Great reason NOT to ride in someone's blind spot, or alongside that car/truck/whatever. Either drop back or pass them.
A big +1. I try real hard to stay out of blind spots, although not always possible in heavy traffic.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
I hadn't even moved into his blind spot when this happened. Thankfully I had been mentally processing what to do when this happens.

Bike
ST1300 2012
Yup ... They are! Since my crash last December I have been even more "alert" when I see a car pulling up to an intersection ahead of me .... And sure enough, last night a woman pulled up, stopped, looked right at me and pulled out .... a quick tape of the brakes and we missed, but there went another pair of shorts!

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Yup ... They are! Since my crash last December I have been even more "alert" when I see a car pulling up to an intersection ahead of me .... And sure enough, last night a woman pulled up, stopped, looked right at me and pulled out .... a quick tape of the brakes and we missed, but there went another pair of shorts!
Had this happen back in the 1970's. I was at the end of a looooooooooong line of vehicles. Guess who the woman pulled out in front of? Last vehicle in the line, of course...me. She jumped cleanly across my lane, panicked and stopped. I managed to stop, feet on the pegs still, just four inches from the middle of her driver's side door. When the suspension unloaded, the bike cranked backward so fast that it remained upright. Once the rear springs pushed the mass forward again, I released the brakes and caved in her door something fierce.
She was po'd to the max, 'You did that on purpose, didn't you?'
'And so did you. Would you like to stick around and explain it to the nice policeman?' (or some dialogue along those lines) So, off she went in a hurry.
The lip of the front fender was my only damage. I straightened it out with the handle end of a screwdriver back home in the garage.
This was the third of four times someone intentionally tried to joust with me while on a bike....two women, two men. Last incident was in the late 1970's. Nothing since has been really all that close.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Glad it all turned out okay.
I've had to similar situations.
When teaching I always tell students to ride like they are invisible.
Be safe my friend.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Glad you survived.
Wednesday night I had a situation in the other direction. I was in the cage on the interstate. Just passed another car that was slowing to exit. As he moved to the exit lane I checked the right side mirror saw nothing, signaled and started over. Glanced in the mirror again for a final check as I started moving right to catch a glimpse of a sport bike suddenly heading into the same space at a high rate of speed. I swerved left just in time for him to miss me. Three squids weaving in and out of traffic at twice the speed of traffic. The near life ending incident didn't slow them down one bit.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Glad you survived.
Wednesday night I had a situation in the other direction. I was in the cage on the interstate. Just passed another car that was slowing to exit. As he moved to the exit lane I checked the right side mirror saw nothing, signaled and started over. Glanced in the mirror again for a final check as I started moving right to catch a glimpse of a sport bike suddenly heading into the same space at a high rate of speed. I swerved left just in time for him to miss me. Three squids weaving in and out of traffic at twice the speed of traffic. The near life ending incident didn't slow them down one bit.
I have seen two of these type in bags over the years. First guy was covered over by TWO tarps, he came apart neatly at the waist after rear ending a car which was doing the speed limit. The other had just passed me on the freeway at a high rate of speed. Failed to negotiate a right turn and struck the guard rail. Mostly they just lose a lot of skin or parts of one appendage or another.

Top Bottom