2007 ST1300

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Does the ST1300 use the same model brake pads on both front and rear ?

I'm thinking about EBC HH Sintered Pads Model FA261HH. Does anyone
have any feedback on these pads.

JimC

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The factory pads carry different part numbers front vs. rear. I think the rear pads are slightly thicker and have a harder compound than the fronts.

-Jeff

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Use oem pads unless you want to spend a lot of time working on your brake system.

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Use oem pads unless you want to spend a lot of time working on your brake system.
+1 !!
Ebc on my 2003 make the front wheel not spin freely, and at the rear it squeeks like Janis Joplin. OEM no problems at all.
Stu

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
I've used the same on my 07 since the first brake pad change. No problems at all.
You may want to do a little research on your EBC pads. You say your using the same part number on both front and rear?
The fitment for our ST1300 uses thinner pads on the front wheel, and thicker pads on the rear wheel. By using the thicker one up front, your pistons may not have enough room to retract away from the rotor, causing the rear brakes to drag, causing a dangerous situation.
EBC has come out with different part numbers for the front and rear applications due to several problems and complaints.
I have a shoebox full of almost new EBC pads that owners requested be removed after having brake dragging issues.
.o2 YMMV

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You may want to do a little research on your EBC pads. You say your using the same part number on both front and rear?
Yep, EBC uses the same on both ends. Appropriate EBC catalog attached.

Using EBC on mine, same pad front/rear.
I did make one mod and slip in the insulating spacer on the rear after they wore down some (first tire check) after replacing.

I frequently tow the trailer on thousand mile days so I wanted all the grab I could get when I squeeze the handle. EBC's are working great. I have about 50k miles on 'em and still looking good as I just checked them before the haul to Door County with the trailer again. Rotors are plenty healthy too.

EBC_catalog.gif

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
I use EBC FA261HH on font and back of my '07
same...front/rear on my '07.... and NO issues. Opinion here ( from experience)...Stick with EBC . I used a different " off brand" one time and found the savings were not savings...especially when it came to cleaning the break dust off the calipers during the next pad change.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
++1. I have used OEM and EBC, OEM specific to front and rear applications are the way to go. Clean your pistons before pushing them back in, lube your pins with brake grease while you have the calipers off.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Stopping distance is dictated by the traction of the tires, mostly the front, and does not depend on the pads installed (unless they are incapable of locking a wheel). I can activate the front and or the rear ABS on command using the OEM pads. You can't use any more stopping power than that.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Let me offer some closure to the EBC brake pad issues...
Since OEM uses Two different thicknesses on their fitment, we'll say slim up from, and fat on the rear, why would you think one size would fit both?
I had that same question and contacted EBC to discuss it with them. Seems they do know about the fitment issues (search forum) however, since these bikes are now made in limited numbers (ST1300P)
their fix was to tool up for only ONE size pad, and they chose the larger rear pad for all three calipers.
They did produce another front pad for the later year 09's and beyond due to the longer cast caliper housing instead of the older two piece design.
They did not follow the OEM style, and left the heat guard off the rear set, and were unaware of the SMC issues and LBS issues these bikes have, or they just don't care.
They are not going to re-tool up for pads on a bike that is no longer produced.
While a couple of you indicated that you've had no problems using them on your bike, I have seen more brake pad, and fitment issues with these bikes, and those pads, that most Honda mechanics will probably ever see :rofl1:
No disrespect intended, but I have had several members tell me how great their brakes were, and how everything was in good working order, until the system was gone through completely and were shown how much better they could be with the correct OEM pads.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I can activate the front and or the rear ABS on command using the OEM pads. You can't use any more stopping power than that.
Drum brakes can lock up a wheel too.

Not about lock-up but modulation potential, lacking of fade and being able to feel.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
With all my cars, bikes, etc. I will stay with OEM brakes unless there is just some resolvable problem with them, even if they cost a little bit more. My experience has been there are often more issues with aftermarket parts and I've no mind to put up with them as long as the OEMs are performing without issue. Now if the OEM bits are unreasonably more expensive, I might then be tempted to explore alternatives but with respect to brake pads, my dealer has the Honda parts for less than the EBCs and I've had issues with Ferrodo in the past.

Top Bottom