Yikes! My First Tip Over (embarassing story)

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Heading home on a perfect late summer evening, there is a nasty 240 degree from flat-to-uphill right turn that ascends a pretty steep (albeit fun and twisty 1/2 mile wooded) roadway into our neighborhood. Just took it yesterday with the wife aboard, no problems. Today, though, I slowed a bit too much: just as I was readying to roll on the throttle I stalled it right in the apex and down she went and off I rolled. I bounced up, glad to have my armored jacket and full-face helmet on so A) I was protected and B) nobody could positively identify me. The real problem was getting back on....the bike lay facing uphill but on an angle that sloped towards the apex. I was able to get her up on two tires with a lot of effort, but I couldn't brace it enough to swing a leg over and after about 45 seconds of this I was getting tired. Realizing my only hope would be to back it down the curve, the bike righted itself! Two guys came up from behind my field of vision....they had figured out I wasn't going anywhere and traffic was starting to back-up. The sensation of wrestling the beast with all my might and having it's weight magically disappear was absolutely surreal. I looked back, and one guy said "take your time, we've got it" so I took a moment to picture the look of disbelief that must have been on my face, then swung a leg over, fessed my embarrassment, fired it up and thanked them profusely. Slightly over-revving I thanked them again then scurried up the hill.
Thank you Good Samaritans!!

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Welcome to the club... most of us have been there! kind of restores your faith in humanity... Yes most folks are good folks and eager to help when one truly needs it. OR they just needed to get you going so they could get on with their journey!! All is well that ends well. Hope the bike is fine, your ego will heal... eventually.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well now your bike may like that position and want to try that more often!! Be careful out there.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bummer! Sorry you couldn't keep it up! :eek::

A couple of weeks ago I was riding up Pike's Peak with a few from the forum. As I was approaching the curves (10 mph, but with inexperienced riders in front of me), I had that same fear! I just knew I was going to come around the curve and find one of the riders down. That didn't happen, thank goodness, but after getting to WeSTOC a week later, we found that the rider that was directly in front of me going up Pike's Peak, had later miss-calculated a curve and drop his ST1100 on their way to WeSTOC.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
These are interesting stories. I would suspect most are surprised about how much damage is NOT done with a tip over.

Top Bottom