Russell SPORT Seat Review

Bike
2012 ST1300
I took delivery of my seat last week, have put about 400 miles on it so far. Note ? this is a review of the Russell SPORT seat, not their Day-Long seat. Description of the sport seat can be found at:
http://day-long.com/gallery/sport-seats/

For reference, I am 5?8?, 190 lb., 31.5? inseam. I was riding a Spencerized OEM seat (lowered, long distance option). It was a definite improvement over the stock seat, but I wanted a better seat. The stock seat (Spencerized or not) is basically a slab, with no defined seat pocket. The Russell has a nicely defined ?seat pocket? that is very comfortable.

My first impressions:
1. The seat is level ? in the lowest (front and back) position, no more fighting the ?forward slide?
2. The seat is very comfortable, the enlarged seating area supports more area of my butt, resulting in less pressure on any one point
3. I?ve only ridden on the seat for 1 hour max at a time, and it felt like I could definitely go for hours more without discomfort
4. Cosmetics ? the Sport seat is smaller than the day-long, and in my opinion looks great
5. I can still flat foot my bike, but only by sliding up on the seat (past the wings) when stopping. At first it felt awkward, but after a few hundred miles this becomes ?automatic? and not bothersome
6. Cornering, twisties, handling, etc. ? no different than the stock seat. But I do not attempt ?knee dragging? cornering

Conclusion ? I should have bought this seat 65,0000 miles ago!

Attachments

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I have a Day Long, and I love the seat, but it is about 2 inches higher than the Corbin that was on it when I bought it. That has made windshield options difficult. I would buy one to use on short rides, but I'm afraid it won't be any shorter than the one I have, or at least not enough shorter to make a difference.

OP
OP
gkc501
Bike
2012 ST1300
I have a Day Long, and I love the seat, but it is about 2 inches higher than the Corbin that was on it when I bought it. That has made windshield options difficult. I would buy one to use on short rides, but I'm afraid it won't be any shorter than the one I have, or at least not enough shorter to make a difference.
The Sport seat is pretty close to stock height. Not nearly as tall as the day-long

Bike
1991 ST1100
I took delivery of my seat last week, have put about 400 miles on it so far. Note ? this is a review of the Russell SPORT seat, not their Day-Long seat. Description of the sport seat can be found at:
http://day-long.com/gallery/sport-seats/

For reference, I am 5?8?, 190 lb., 31.5? inseam. I was riding a Spencerized OEM seat (lowered, long distance option). It was a definite improvement over the stock seat, but I wanted a better seat. The stock seat (Spencerized or not) is basically a slab, with no defined seat pocket. The Russell has a nicely defined ?seat pocket? that is very comfortable.

My first impressions:
1. The seat is level ? in the lowest (front and back) position, no more fighting the ?forward slide?
2. The seat is very comfortable, the enlarged seating area supports more area of my butt, resulting in less pressure on any one point
3. I?ve only ridden on the seat for 1 hour max at a time, and it felt like I could definitely go for hours more without discomfort
4. Cosmetics ? the Sport seat is smaller than the day-long, and in my opinion looks great
5. I can still flat foot my bike, but only by sliding up on the seat (past the wings) when stopping. At first it felt awkward, but after a few hundred miles this becomes ?automatic? and not bothersome
6. Cornering, twisties, handling, etc. ? no different than the stock seat. But I do not attempt ?knee dragging? cornering

Conclusion ? I should have bought this seat 65,0000 miles ago!

Im interested in buying a Russell. If you dont mind me asking, How much did you pay for the Sport. Any idea the cost difference between the sport and daylong? Did you go to Russell for fitting?

OP
OP
gkc501
Bike
2012 ST1300
Im interested in buying a Russell. If you dont mind me asking, How much did you pay for the Sport. Any idea the cost difference between the sport and daylong? Did you go to Russell for fitting?
I paid $432 + $65 shipping, total $497
Cost of the sport seat is 10% less than the day-long
Note - my seat is a "solo" covered in vinyl. Solo means they remade the driver seat, but just recovered the passenger seat (to match the drivers)
I did not go to Russell for fitting (I live in Florida, a bit of a ride). I did send them detailed pics and gave them my dimensions, and specified exactly what I wanted (no forward slope, keep stock seat height, ...)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think that's what they tried to give me, when I ordered a new one back in April. I had to send it back in because it was too narrow for me, I felt I was sitting on top of it, instead of in it.

When my brother and I did our 4,800 miles of riding, I'm glad I had it Adjusted. We did some really long days and even though my :butt1: was tired, it wasn't ever sore! :D

Last edited:
Bike
1991 ST1100
I paid $432 + $65 shipping, total $497
Cost of the sport seat is 10% less than the day-long
Note - my seat is a "solo" covered in vinyl. Solo means they remade the driver seat, but just recovered the passenger seat (to match the drivers)
I did not go to Russell for fitting (I live in Florida, a bit of a ride). I did send them detailed pics and gave them my dimensions, and specified exactly what I wanted (no forward slope, keep stock seat height, ...)
Hey thank you for the information. Any reason you went with the sport over the day long?

OP
OP
gkc501
Bike
2012 ST1300
Hey thank you for the information. Any reason you went with the sport over the day long?
As I understand (from searching this forum, and from Russell site) - the sport seat is close to stock height, and the day-long is considerably (2"?) taller. Given my inseam, I could not handle the day-long comfortably.

Last edited:

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
The Sport seat is pretty close to stock height. Not nearly as tall as the day-long
Do you feel it may be lower because it is narrower than a DL. I have a DL that I would have fun narrowing .

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
While being narrower doesn't necessarily affect seat height it can definitely affect your ability to touch the ground for more than the edge of your boots.

A wider seat will splay your legs outwards and if you don't have enough ballast to mush the edges down then stability is affected. Scooching up to the narrower front portion from the 'wing chair' bit would work for me.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Thank you ST Gui, I thought that was my question, but it was lost in translation I guess.

Top Bottom