Can you identify what this wire is

Bike
ST1300 2004
Hello, on my ST1300 I found this cable hanging over the front fender. It appears to lead into the right side of the upper fairing.

Can you tell me what it is? Is it a sensor? Where should it be attached, and how?

In the photo I have pulled it up near the ignition switch to keep it from just swinging around over the front wheel. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
+1 on air temperature sensor.

It's held to the inner part of the right front cowl (in the space between the inner and outer cowls) with a small self-tapping screw of the type used for plastic or sheet metal- the kind with a fairly coarse thread and a tapered point. IIRC, the head is a #1 cross point with an integrated "washer" or flange.

SCREW, TAPPING (4X10)

Part Number: 93903-24280
Price: $0.78

AirTempSensor.jpg

The bright spot for you is that reinstallation does NOT require you to go through the full tupperware removal and reinstallation process. Let's see now:

* 2 push rivets at the top, on the inside of the right side cowl (inboard of the right side hot pocket). Use your stubby cross point screw driver to push the button into the body of the fasteners so you can pull them out.

* 4 push rivets of a different style (I think Honda actually calls them "clips") down the front of the inner cowl. Pull the heads (a flat-blade screwdriver or needle nose pliers help with the grip here) and the clips will follow after you hear the "click"

* 1 machine screw right at the top front of the inner cowling panel

You may also need to pull the four clips at the bottom front of the lower / middle cowlings and then the two screws and two clips that hold the triangular engine guard in place, so that you can pull said guard to get at that inner cowling piece.

Once all that is done, screw the sensor back into place (there's an opening in the cowling for the sensor itself to stick through) then reinstall the inner cowling, engine guard, and all clips.

Sounds like a lot of work but it is really only a few minutes- maybe fifteen total even if you get into a wrestling match trying to get the upper edge of the cowl properly aligned with and seated against the mounting / connecting spot next to the hot pocket.

OP
OP
jtkarma
Bike
ST1300 2004
My apologies for not replying sooner, I had some issues at work.

You guys are awesome, and you guys are correct about that sensor. But, as with most things from a used motorcycle, there was a plot twist.

The sensor was hanging down because the zip tie that was holding it in place fell off. How do I know? I found a small cut zip tie on the ground where I park my motorcycle at work. I'm the only one to use that space, so that had to be from my bike.

Now, I know the next thing you must think is oh, the screw was missing, the previous owner used a zip tie to hold it there. I took the plastic plate off, and the screw is in fact there that holds that sensor.

My best guess is that he had put the plastic plate back, forgot to put the sensor in and just zip tied it.

Thanks for the info and help you guys!

Top Bottom