Harley Rider now looking at a ST1300!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Begging to disagree slightly on that. The ST1100 set the standard from 1990 to 2002 and in a number of respects is still superior to the 1300.
Well, Bush, at least you didn't disagree with me about the color (lol).

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I have a 05 with 57000 miles that I. Would like to sell.
Please send a IM for information and pictures

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Begging to disagree slightly on that. The ST1100 set the standard from 1990 to 2002 and in a number of respects is still superior to the 1300.
yeah---carbs have always been superior to fuel injection BWAAAAAHHHH!!!:burnout

Bike
2009 Wee Strom
Hi

Get one!

With a couple changes (notably a different saddle) the ST is an all day, many days in a row platform for many people..

The seat has three positions: too high, higher than that, and nosebleed. :)

Seriously, I have about a 31" inseam and a Sargent seat; in the middle position I cannot quite flat foot it but I don't have a mania about that. On the lowest setting I can get both feet flat.
I have owned and traded in in my 7 short years of riding (in order), a Suzuki C50T, Honda 919, Yamaha FJR (gen I), Victory Vision, Suzuki V-strom, Honda CBR 250, and now have owned an ST1300 for the past two years. Also have test ridden a gold wing multiple times, but never owned it.

Of those, for long distance riding, the two sport tourers and the Vision were the best. Longest I've done on my bike with the stock seat was 600ish miles and I needed a few breaks (not many). I now own a russell seat and haven't done 600 miles since, but 400 mile days are just fine with normal stops for food or sight seeing every 3 hours or so.

All things considered, if I had my way and my wife would let me financially, I'd own a gold wing.

Of the ones that I've ridden, no offense to anyone on this forum, but I'd buy an FJR before I bought an ST1300 (provided I could afford either). That bike was EASY to ride and I felt MUCH more confident on it with it's center of gravity and super smooth engine. But I got rid of my FJR (I was stupid as it was paid off), but love the sport touring platform. I bought this ST1300 as at the time it was between that and an FJR, but this bike had an extended warranty so I was covered for an extra 5 years for about $1000 less than the FJR. The problem is (and I'm sure you'll find this too), is that the FJR is more marketable, and so prices for it tend to be a little higher. The ST1300 is a fantastic bike. I just preferred the egos and power plant of the FJR.

The ST1300 FEELS like the heaviest bike I've ever ridden. It's center of gravity feels much higher than the victory vision I owned or gold wings I've ridden, despite the actual weights. But as you'll read on this forum and anywhere, you get it moving even 3-5 MPH, and it works like any other motorcycle. I'm just not QUITE comfortable yet leaning deeply into turns with a higher center of gravity and being up higher on the bike. I carved MUCH more confidently in the gold wing and victory vision as opposed to the ST1300 (and to a lesser extent the FJR) just based on seat height and weight distribution. It's not the bike, it's me.

All that being said, it's still a great bike. I commute often, and recently have spoken with my wife of going back to a one-car household as I just prefer it and am fine riding it in any weather.

The seat is 31" give or take .5". That's about the inseam of a lot of riders. An ST may be taller and had a higher center of gravity than you're used to. However it seems with technique and decent quads some shorter riders have been very happy with it.
In regards to the seat height, I'm 5'4" with a 30" inseam. When I first got on an FJR in 2012, I was FREAKED OUT that it was so high. After time, I adjusted. The ST1300 is the second tallest bike I've ever tried to ride (you ever try to ride a BMW GS1200 with a 30" inseam? I did! I feared every stop sign!). Throw on the Russell seat and the fact that I keep it in the middle position because it seems to make the angle of the Russell seat better for me, and I've gotten familiar with the standard "tricks" to compensate.

When you hit the brakes and start slowing down, allow yourself to slide forward towards the front of the seat. It's narrower there and therefore will splay your legs less, and you'll be able to touch the ground easier. As you get REALLY slow and are within a few feet of stopping, slide your left butt cheek slightly off the center to the left (pretend you're about to counterweight the bike), stick down (not out, stick DOWN) that left leg, and as you finally stop, push forward EVER so slightly with the left hand on the handlebars. The front tire will turn a LITTLE to the right, forcing the bike to lean to the left, and then you'll have a VERY solid tripod of one leg and the two tires. Works every time, and instead of tip-toeing both feet (which feels very unstable), I flatfoot the left leg and feel rock solid at stops.

And the last advice if you make the switch from Harley to ST1300, be very carefully which direction on a hill you park. With my short legs, I have virtually ZERO leverage to back the bike out of any parking space. So I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS park facing uphill. Sometimes that means pulling into a parking space, somethings allowing the hill to "back me in" a parking space. But ALWAYS park so that you can use the engine's power to propel you up a hill. I made that mistake once. Only once. And I paid for it, having to ask others for help to push my bike backwards up out of a parking space all sheepishly, while simultaneously worrying about whether the bike would fall as I push from the front and also try to steer it.

For $3k, I'd buy that bike if it was maintained well, throw an extra $2k into custom seats, new and comfortable gear, and possibly a top box, and then go ride the hell out of the thing.

Alexi

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Your Wing comments are of interest to me. I have a short inseam, but I've lowered my ST (with a RDL) to compensate. I would really like a Wing with an airbag, but the physical size of the Wing is intimidating. I would like to test ride one to see if I can handle it.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Is the '04 you're looking at an ABS model (pulser rings on the wheels)? I'd pay slightly more for ABS. Or if it has nice farkles, like a Honda Top Box (grey market import).

Pan Weave: You really won't encounter this if you ride at normal highway speeds. It's sometimes encountered up around 120 MPH, depending on load, tires, air pressure, suspension settings, topbox, etc (i.e. lots of theories, but no proof). I observed it (on a closed course!) when the bike was newer, but haven't noticed it in years now. Not an issue, unless you force the bike to go where it doesn't want to go.

Most ST1300's have aftermarket saddles. There's a reason - most riders find that the STock seat sucks! Extra points if it's already equipped, even if it isn't custom to your butt!

FJR vs. ST1300: The FJR riders I've talked to like the bike, but the build quality (fit and strength of plastic bits, etc) doesn't compare to Honda. FJR has nice extra farkles, like speed control, ES electronic suspension, etc. There were two riders on 2016 FJR1300ES's at WeSTOC that were having nuisance "check engine" light issues on the trip.

2004 is the only year for Coronado Blue, and is thus slightly rare compared to other colors. So if that's your fancy...

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
The Harley and the ST are 2 different planets in the same universe. They don't have hardly anything in common. That's not a bad thing. My Drz400 was awesome but there isn't enough wind protection at highway speeds. I loved my VFR800. It's biggest downfall was storage but it was the most exciting motorcycle I have every owned. But in the end I returned to a ST. It is the motorcycle that "fits" my body and riding style. I've got short stumpy legs and a long upper body. The perfect combination for the ST Rider. I'm 50+ now and appreciate a comfortable ride on a long trip or any trip for that matter!

The Harley has it's own merits. The low seat height is the biggest advantage. And with that a low center of gravity. The upright riding position on most cruisers makes my back hurt. It seems like every bump goes right up my spine. Harley has nice big cruisers that can eat up asphalt as well as any manufacturer. I'll never be a biker but I'll always be a rider as long as my body allows.

Oh, and by the way, buy the ST. It's a great deal. For $3000 it's cheap therapy that actually works!

I know most folks won't like me saying this, but if I think the ST's greatest attribute for me is that it's BORING. I like to ride. I'm not a tinkerer. I like a bike that takes me along for a ride. I like to get somewhere and say, "we are here already?" I like to not have to worry about the next gas stop. I like the comfort of knowing my ride is about as dependable as a hammer! I like the feeling of flying and the ST going through sweepers without any effort. It's almost as if you become part of the ST. And then you both become part of the road. I don't get that feeling on any other motorcycle.

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
Tiffany these bikes are VERY HEAVY and maintenance is VERY expensive . I also had a pro. mechanic mess my brakes up.
The bike cruises very nice but if the maintenence wasnt kept up old brake fluid can cause ALOT of damage .
Make sure you ride one for at least a day before you buy one its way different than a Harley. GOOD LUCK

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
They are heavy motorcycles. But no more so than any other touring bike. Heck an Electra Glide is right at 900 lbs! And I hate to be argumentative. Maintenance is not that expensive. I change the oil a few times a year and change the brake fluid and the oil in the "pumpkin" once a year. Oil and brake fluid is pretty cheap. There just isn't much maintenance to do on the ST's. I think you would have to go out of your way to mess things up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
maintenance is VERY expensive
Only if you aren't doing it yourself, but that could be said about pretty much any motorcycle.

I also had a pro. mechanic mess my brakes up.
And stories like that are not that uncommon to hear of, if you have to take your bike to someone else for simple maintenance jobs. Change all fluids at regular intervals (brake fluid, two years) and your problems will be few and far between.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I agree completely. Mechanics look at it from the perspective of just another motorcycle. I guarantee they treat their own bikes with a little more care! Don't get me wrong. There are some good shops out there. I'm lucky to have one locally that does good work at a reasonable price. When you do the work you know exactly what has been done.

Bike
07 ST1300
I just had to replace my clutch slave cylinder,clutch master cylinder,and new clutch hose because the brake fluid went bad and ate the rubber leaked into the motor and ruined the clutch. The fluid was replaced two years ago. This was not the bikes fault but i could have have totally rebuilt three Harleys with the time i have invested. I still prefer my ST over my Super Tenere but the ST1300 is the heaviest sport tourer on the planet and its gotta be 200 pounds hevier than her current ride.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
lonney said:
but the ST1300 is the heaviest sport tourer on the planet
Probably double digits heavier than an FJR but about ballpark of a Connie. I don't know anything about BMWs.

lonney said:
and its gotta be 200 pounds hevier than her current ride.
I kinda doubt that too. Maybe the OP will pop back in with some details on the Dyna.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I had someone tell my wife once that a motorcycle is only heavy if you plan on carrying it. I've had smaller bikes that were right at 500 lbs lighter (think dr200). Not a pleasure to ride at 55 mph. From my riding experience weight seems to correlate to stability at higher cruise speeds. I can't think of a full-on touring motorcycle that isn't heavy. The ST's is pretty much in the sweet spot with the emphasis put on comfort.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Having owned and ridden many big Harleys and Hondas all over the country I will say they all handle different. The Harley DynaGlide and Honda ST1300 are about the same in weight. The Dyna handles better at lower speeds as the ST1300 handles better at faster speeds ( I have never had a problem with slow speed on the Honda)
The Honda F6B Goldwing weighs @ 120 lbs more than both mentioned bikes yet handles like a dream at lower and highway speed. I have no doubt that the ST1300 is FAR superior to anything Harley produces. Ride what makes you happy---we all have our own taste in riding likes and dislikes.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I moved from a Harley FAt Bob to an ST, and then another ST, and then another ST. You need to change the seat and the windshield and add highway pegs and bar risers. Then you ride a 1000 mile day and join the Iron Butt Association.

I'd describe the Fat Bob as an emotional experience whereas the ST is the thinking man's bike. Great wind management, great ergos, and reliable as a brick. Gas tires and oil.

Top Bottom