Need more info about the problem with my rear wheel

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Yesterday I replaced my rear tire and when I was picking up the bike, the guy wrote "hazard" note on my recipe.

20160918_093945.jpg

He was closing the shop, so he quickly explained what's going on (but because my limited English I would hurt myself trying to repeat it :D )
So, anybody had similar issue? What money we're talking about here? How much work?
I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Without seeing a pic of those splines, it is impossible to say how badly worn they may be. It sounds bad from his report though. At the very least, you need to replace the cush rubbers and their aluminum inserts. There could also be damage to the wheel hub itself, but again, no pictures makes it hard to help.

Cush rubbers and inserts are not hard to replace and parts alone might be around $75.00. Easy to look up the part costs on the rear wheel fiche from an online supplier, like Partzilla.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Are you able to remove the wheel yourself, so as to take pictures of the splines? Also wondering if the tech put some Moly lube in there too?

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Are you able to remove the wheel yourself, so as to take pictures of the splines? Also wondering if the tech put some Moly lube in there too?
I was in kinda rush so rode the bike to the service. I'm not sure about the Moly but the service is well recommended by many bikers - I believe he did good job. And, when I asked him how much it would cost me to fi it he said he's not doing these things and that I have to ind somebody else or do it by myself. So, on hand I trust him because money/business wasn't involved :)

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Afan - How far are you from John O? He could give you an honest opinion of the 'state of things' if you could pull the rear wheel. Sounds like the inserts and the rubbers just need replacing.
We're kinda close. He helped me A LOT this spring at Tech Event at Steve and Mary-Ann, working on my bike. He did great job, not just working on my bike than teaching (and having patience) me. :)
Yes, I plan to contact him today if he's able to help me (again).

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Sounds like a shop that won't work on older bikes because of all the other problems a tech can find on them during a job, leading to higher repair costs and unhappy customers.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hi Afan,
Seems pretty clear that your final splines are badly worn. Pull the rear wheel, clean the splines and post up pictures, please. Warning, this could be expensive to replace.
John [who lives 3 hours away, currently grounded... 3rd back injection tomorrow]

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Why play a guessing game? It could be well over $1,000! Just post some pics so we have something to go on. Best advice at this point is don't ride it until we have a look.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Why play a guessing game? It could be well over $1,000!
To know am I going to say to wife it's 2x or 3x more than it is! :D

Just post some pics so we have something to go on.
I couldn't do it today, but I'm gonna do it as soon as possible.

Best advice at this point is don't ride it until we have a look.
I don't want to be a cager! :banghead: :( :censored :noway :cry:

Bike
2010 ST1300
I don't want to be a cager! :banghead: :( :censored :noway :cry:
Might be a good idea to stay off the bike if more damage will result in higher repair costs.

Now, I know very very little about '98 1100's, but I looked at a parts fiche on the discount honda parts website. If your bike is like my 1300, then the male spline attaches to the rear wheel and can be had for around $159. The female spline is part of the driven gear in the final drive. This will set you back about $300. Plus shipping. Even in Iowa. So figure $1,500 should do it (that's 3 times the cost). Now, a iddy bitty warning here - you might need the pinion gear, shims, and bearings and the mechanic might even be talking about different parts. But this should help you sleep tonight.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
If Afan needs to replace the splines, he may get a deal on good used splines off Ebay. In fact, I may have a good used set off a GL1500 that might fit.

EDIT : I just checked; Yup, the ST1100 and GL1500 have the same part number for the drive plate splines and I have one in very good condition - special deal just for Afan. Only $60 including shipping. $75 for everyone else.

But the big question is the condition of the splines on the final drive............

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the guy wrote "hazard" note on my recipe.
Potentially a recipe for disaster.

But the big question is the condition of the splines on the final drive............
Yes that should be assessed ASAP before Afan gets stranded or worse. At best it wouldn't be worth the agitation to be temporarily standard.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
So, here are the pictures. It was dark outside so I had to use flashlight so they are not 100% clear but I think they are enough clear to show how BAD it looks like :(
If there is any doubt I can repeat the images tomorrow on the daily light but I think it's not necessary.
For full size images go to http://afan.net/ST1100/RearWheel/

DSCN3609.jpg

DSCN3610.jpg

DSCN3611.jpg

DSCN3613.jpg

DSCN3614.jpg

DSCN3615.jpg

DSCN3616.jpg

DSCN3617.jpg

DSCN3618.jpg

So, I think it kinda looks worse then I thought...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So, I think it kinda looks worse then I thought...
Great pics unfortunately. Maybe when it's all cleaned up and the repairs thoroughly completed some pics will help me unsee all that! That mechanic's notation did you a great service.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Great pics unfortunately. Maybe when it's all cleaned up and the repairs thoroughly completed some pics will help me unsee all that! That mechanic's notation did you a great service.
Yup...

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I hope I don't need to disassemble the final driven gear further down - I can find more &^%$#$&%
:(

Top Bottom