OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
The "dampers" are not the main problem with the wheel now, although they probably helped in the destruction that we now see. Focus on that circular hub around the wheel bearing, It has been damaged beyond repair. The whole wheel is therefore garbage.
So, if I got it correctly, these "holes" (marked red) are actually holes in the wheel (rim) itself? Hm... Didn't know that...
:(

DSCN3619-b.jpg

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
So, if I got it correctly, these "holes" (marked red) are actually holes in the wheel (rim) itself? Hm... Didn't know that...

DSCN3619-b.jpg
No, no no, Afan. Take that thing apart - five socket head screws come out, then turn the brass coloured plate (indicated by arrows on it). In there are the rubber dampers and their aluminum inserts, which are badly worn. Those all have to be bought as well, if you are pricing it out.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
A new wheel is $636.00 at Partzilla. Add up all the parts needed and see if you love the bike enough to go for it.
Yes, I saw that. But I just fund one for $250 on eBay - is it's good?
Although, adding the wheel to the other expenses, it's gonna be really close to $1,000, if not over $1K...

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Yes, I saw that. But I just fund one for $250 on eBay - is it's good?
Although, adding the wheel to the other expenses, it's gonna be really close to $1,000, if not over $1K...
Now that could be your best find yet. You could probably get the entire final drive and rear wheel assembly from that one bike and likely get a better price!

Good price on that wheel, I'd say.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
HA HA HA HA HA...
THE GOOGLE POWER! Just a few seconds after I looked at eBay for the rear rim - I got an offer on Facebook!

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 7.56.07 PM.jpg

It is funny, but it's scary too!

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
HA HA HA HA HA...
THE GOOGLE POWER! Just a few seconds after I looked at eBay for the rear rim - I got an offer on Facebook!

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 7.56.07 PM.jpg

It is funny, but it's scary too!
It looks much better than the one I found but I can see also Photoshop all over the image! :D

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
The large wheel bearing in the center should be flush with the aluminum wheel hub it is pressed into. Has the bearing backed out or is the face of the wheel worn down?

Ashley

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The wheel hub has worn from the twisting of the spider. It appears the bearing was starting to wear as well.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Afan, Larry made the point earlier that it is possible that other major components of the bike need attention, and this has been more or less ignored. How long have you owned the bike? Who has maintained it? Did you see service records before you bought it? Have you followed the Service Manual's recommendations for routine maintenance (like change coolant, brake, clutch fluids every two years, etc.)? If you don't do the work yourself (something I suspect) who has done it? This mechanic we are all panning (sorry for the pun).

Surely this rear wheel made some noise or other indication (vibration) before this that something was wearing. Might you be ignoring other signs that the bike is crying for help?

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Afan, Larry made the point earlier that it is possible that other major components of the bike need attention, and this has been more or less ignored. How long have you owned the bike? Who has maintained it? Did you see service records before you bought it? Have you followed the Service Manual's recommendations for routine maintenance (like change coolant, brake, clutch fluids every two years, etc.)? If you don't do the work yourself (something I suspect) who has done it? This mechanic we are all panning (sorry for the pun).

Surely this rear wheel made some noise or other indication (vibration) before this that something was wearing. Might you be ignoring other signs that the bike is crying for help?
I bought the bike a bit over 2 years ago, with 49K miles on it. Now it has almost 30K more. Maintenance I did by myself. Shortly after I bought it I changed break fluid and coolant. Recently clutch fluid (and coolant again :) ) Oil I do by myself every approximately 5K miles. Had issue with gas and coolant leaks - both fixed.

And, regarding the rear tire problem - I didn't hear anything because I ride most of the time with earplugs and helmet. And there WAS NO ANY VIBRATIONS or something that would give me any sign. Made several multiple days trips this year and never felt anything that would tell me about problem with my rear wheel. Had some wobbling problems but it was caused by my front tire, cupping. And, to be honest, when the guy who changed my tire told me about how bad my rear wheel is and I MUST NOT ride my bike - I didn't believe him. Even on my way home I tried to pay my attention to the rear wheel - and nothing.

Although, just came to my mind, the guy who put my new tire, he warned me about the bad shape of the spline. But the Honda service where I changed my tire in November, they never said a word about it. And I REALLY DON'T BELIEVE I destroyed the rear wheel since November?!?

Although, I'm pretty sure I learned a lesson for future ;-)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
FYI, I have seen a rear end destroyed in as little as 500 miles! 6 months is more than enough time to destroy the rear wheel/hub/splines etc. if you didn't have moly paste on the splines, and follow the proper service directions.
Its also quite common for the owner to not be aware of the bike getting worse over a period of time. I have opened up rear wheels for members that swore up and down that they bike is perfect, to find an empty cage where their flange bearings once were, wheel bearings grinding like a coffee grinder. I guess some folks just get used to it.
Other folks, like me, OCD King, can tell just rolling my bike backwards if the tire pressure is a few pounds low, or the brakes have air in the system, etc.
Wish you lived closer to me, I would inspect your bike from axle to axle and show you what was damaged/worn/or needed service repair....but then again, from the damage we've already seen in the pictures, I am not so sure you would want me to do that....I am sorry you are having these issues with your bike, but at least you made it home safe, and were not involved in an accident or such.
Due to the year of the bike, and the issues that you've already found, I am afraid that you would be throwing good money after bad if you tried to restore it to serviceable condition.
YMMV.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Martin, I wonder if in a least a few of the cases, the correct wheel reinstallation steps weren't followed.
I'm with you there John, but methinks its "all together"... lack of lubrication/wrong grease, damaged O-rings not replaced, pressure wash and worn hub-dampers...
Once the dampers wore out, rotation angle of the splines toward the wheel increases, likely beyond a threshold the Moly paste can cope with, friction heat accelerates the process... suddenly steel rubbing on bare aluminum... and once the "bearing boss" wears down, guidance/alignment for the spline assy IS lost, it starts to tumble, speeding up the destruction...
That wheel center, the hub, or bearing boss is the thing aligning the splines, nothing else keeps it parallel with the wheel...

I'd search eBay and local breakers for a rear wheel in decent shape...
The bike is not a write-off, but fixing the mess, after been ignored for too long, will leave a dent in the valet...

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Although, just came to my mind, the guy who put my new tire, he warned me about the bad shape of the spline. But the Honda service where I changed my tire in November, they never said a word about it. And I REALLY DON'T BELIEVE I destroyed the rear wheel since November?!?

Although, I'm pretty sure I learned a lesson for future ;-)
:plus1:

On the "up-side" , there are plenty of good used parts on Ebay at a decent price. If you can do the work yourself, it's a small cost compared to depreciation on a newer bike. And an old ST1100 is almost as good as many much newer bikes.

No kidding, I test rode a K1600GTL a few years ago, and my old ST1100 is just as smooth riding on the slab with my RaceTech front suspension and Progressive Suspension rear shock/spring.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I'm still here. And thinking. Still not ready for "final answer", still thinking between fixing bike and buying new bike. Mostly financial reason. Still doing "research".

I found these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-Honda-ST1100-ST-1100-Pan-European-rear-back-wheel-rim-/311647747246?vxp=mtr&hash=item488fa73cae
http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-Honda-ST1100-ST-1100-Pan-European-rear-back-drive-hub-flange-gear-/311646965655?vxp=mtr&hash=item488f9b4f97
http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-Honda-ST1100-ST-1100-Pan-European-final-drive-gear-hub-differential-/401146084003?vxp=mtr&hash=item5d662b7aa3
Would they fit to 1998 ST1100? I'm assuming yes, but last time I assumed it brought me to this situation :D

Top Bottom