Need more info about the problem with my rear wheel

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
OUCH!!!

Teardown of the final drive is required, or look for a good used one. The Honda shop manual details the work on tearing into it, but special tools and precise measurements are required, so it is a daunting task that most shops may not want to touch.

$278.00 for the final gear set from Partzilla and IF you could still get one, a new complete final drive unit would be $1,875.00. Now listed as obsolete, but the individual parts are available.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Afan, before you buy anything from a parts supplier, PM me first.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The final drive splines are toast. They have not been properly maintained and now there's a price to be paid. Sorry.

Do not ride the bike, those splines will soon fail completely. Look for a salvage final drive. Get the matching/mated driven flange that went with it if at all possible. Ask for high res pictures of the splines before buying.

Bummer!

John

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Good advice provided....
Don't worry about being stuck in a CAGE, I would be more worried about seeing the inside of an AMBULANCE if you tried riding that bike!!!!
I can't help but wonder, if the driveshaft is that bad, what do the wheel bearings, steering head bearings, and other critical stuff look like?
My advice would be DON'T ride that bike for any reason.
I suspect the cost of repairs, will outweigh the value of the bike if it is done correctly.
Sorry.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
There is a final drive available on Ebay for $180 with shipping. Better grab it, Afan.

So much for the " If it ain't broke, don't fix it " crowd.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Can't use the GL1500 final drive directly as the cases are different but the internal parts are the same. Those parts are easy and cheap to source at any shop which does trike conversions. Don't know anyone who's done such a rebuild.

agree about E-Baying used parts, maybe even a complete rear wheel. I've done it. I have a full set of rubber/aluminum inserts and maybe a set of rear wheel bearings, available for cost of shipping. Let me know. Can't get to the garage just now to check the bearings but pretty sure they are there.

If Afan needs to replace the splines, he may get a deal on good used splines off Ebay. In fact, I may have a good used set off a GL1500 that might fit.

EDIT : I just checked; Yup, the ST1100 and GL1500 have the same part number for the drive plate splines and I have one in very good condition - special deal just for Afan. Only $60 including shipping. $75 for everyone else.

But the big question is the condition of the splines on the final drive............
There is a final drive available on Ebay for $180 with shipping. Better grab it, Afan.

So much for the " If it ain't broke, don't fix it " crowd.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I can't help but wonder, if the driveshaft is that bad, what do the wheel bearings, steering head bearings, and other critical stuff look like?
VERY GOOD POINT! :(

Somebody wants to buy a bike? :D

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Can't use the GL1500 final drive directly as the cases are different but the internal parts are the same. Those parts are easy and cheap to source at any shop which does trike conversions. Don't know anyone who's done such a rebuild.

agree about E-Baying used parts, maybe even a complete rear wheel. I've done it. I have a full set of rubber/aluminum inserts and maybe a set of rear wheel bearings, available for cost of shipping. Let me know. Can't get to the garage just now to check the bearings but pretty sure they are there.
I never said a GL1500 rear drive would fit / work. Only the drive flange is the same. The final drive on Ebay is for a ST1100.

Hope this clears up your confusion.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Originally Posted by Igofar View Post
VERY GOOD POINT!
Somebody wants to buy a bike? :D
To assume the other items are in bad shape because the oring on the final drive that holds the grease on the splines failed is not really valid at all. Orings fail (especially if they aren't regularly replaced) and these splines can die in under 5,000 miles.

Keep the bike, find another used rear end and ride it!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Sooooo.... To be sure I'm on the same page as you guys, I have to buy:

1) No. 8 (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1998/ST1100+A/ST1100+REAR+WHEEL/parts.html)
2) No. 1 (http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1998/ST1100+A/ST1100+FINAL+DRIVEN+GEAR/parts.html) - since it's kinda complicated to disassemble, replace parts and assemble again, it's better (and cheaper :) ) option to buy used on eBay?

Anything else?
Yep, those are the main parts, but you would also need new bearings and seals where required and then find someone willing to dismantle and rebuild the pumpkin. Wondering if John O. would ever consider doing this? We also have not seen what the hub of the wheel (where the spider fits over) looks like, but with the state of the gears, I could assume that the wheel itself may need replacing also. Post a pic of that wheel hub.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
That mechanic's notation did you a great service.
Looking back upon this, I'd say it was very poor service. Now that we all know the extent of the damage, it would have been a better and kinder service from the tech if he had refused to install the new tire on the wheel when such damage, and an unsafe condition, presented itself to him when he took the wheel off. Afan wouldn't be out the price of the tire, a tire which may have to come off and go on a new(er) wheel anyway. It would appear the tech was only interested in that tire sale/installation job, regardless of what unsafe condition he was seeing.

He should have cleaned those parts up, had Afan come in for a look at them and then offered his evaluation of the situation. Instead, he chose to leave the splines in the grungy mess he found them, apparently not bothering to use any Moly or new grease of any kind (although, it would have been of little use by this point), slapping a new tire on a bike that he knew was a "hazard" and then giving Afan the bum's rush out the door at closing time with a note saying his bike was unsafe, but taking his money for the new tire anyway.

NOT a recommendation for that tech's work ethic.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The notation still did a great service even though the mechanic didn't.
I can't see any way that note justifies a great service rating when the tech sent a (possibly) deadly machine out the door for a customer to hop on and ride off with. I'd be livid if I discovered his lack of concern over something so serious.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I can't see any way that note justifies a great service rating...
Of course you can't. I'm talking one thing and you're intent on making it something else. You want to disagree with something I'm not saying. Knock yourself out. I'm not playing.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Of course you can't. I'm talking one thing and you're intent on making it something else. You want to disagree with something I'm not saying. Knock yourself out. I'm not playing.
I knew what you meant... without the note, he wouldn't have posted, and thus wouldn't have taken it apart, and so on.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Play nice boys

Top Bottom