Need more info about the problem with my rear wheel

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If I found that much damage while working on someone's bike I would not put it back together and offer to call a tow or trailer to safely get that person home.
I would not be able to live with myself allowing someone to operate a damaged bike like that.
I am surprised the shop was not concerned about liability....

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I knew what you meant... without the note, he wouldn't have posted, and thus wouldn't have taken it apart, and so on.
Well, there you go. Wouldn't it have been nice to have Mr. Gul explain his thought more precisely than to come back with a snarky comment? We aren't all mind readers here.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Well, there you go. Wouldn't it have been nice to have Mr. Gul explain his thought more precisely than to come back with a snarky comment? We aren't all mind readers here.
Again.....play nice boys :rofl1:

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Just to let you know that I'm still thinking about my next move, am I going to fix it or this is a "sign" for a new bike?!? :)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Just to let you know that I'm still thinking about my next move, am I going to fix it or this is a "sign" for a new bike?!? :)
How does the wheel hub look Afan? That might help you decide, if it is toast as well.

OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
The guy who's selling 2000 final drive (to me it looks ok, but I emailed him to send me close up pic so I can see splines better) is selling other part I need too. Looks good to me. Maybe I can get better price if I buy both parts :)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Yes, thanks Afan. Your wheel is in pretty rough shape from the looks of the central hub area. The spider has been wearing into several areas there due to the excessive slop caused by the well worn damper rubbers and aluminum inserts and, the hub itself, where the red wheel bearing is, is severely worn. I'm not sure if that wheel is serviceable in that condition and, unfortunately, it cannot be repaired. Others will offer opinions on your wheel, I hope.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The wheel is toast as is. I suspect that the thrust washer is missing and has been for some time. When you removed
The wheel was there a big flat washer between the bearing and the underside of the driven flange?

I know of only one repair of a wheel damaged like that (Carroll Walker), but it took some big, serious machinery and tools to do it.

John

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I always wonder which causes what there; worn splines damaging the hub, or vice versa...
Seems to me it would be the dampers and inserts becoming excessively worn, as we see in Afan's pics, allowing the spider to twist and rub against the hub and all the other parts (screw heads) in there. That would lead to the splines on the spider twisting against the splines in the final drive and, exacerbated by the lack of proper lube, the splines wear down. I'd bet if Afan took the dampers out of that wheel, he will find the end of the spider's legs have worn into the wheel as well, although that damage does not in itself make the wheel unserviceable.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I'd say that wheel is done as well... :(
I always wonder which causes what there; worn splines damaging the hub, or vice versa...
Martin, I wonder if in a least a few of the cases, the correct wheel reinstallation steps weren't followed. I know from some other discussions on the forums that some folks don't understand that all the distance collars and bearings inner races have to be locked together between the inner face of the final drive just under the axle nut AND the inner shoulder of the other end of the axle. Only then is the pinch bolt on the swingarm clamping the shouldered portion of the axle tightened.

Some folks mistakenly thought that they needed to close any gap between the right inner edge of the left swingarm and the left edge of the brake caliper bracket; IOW, some of the shouldered portion of the axle was exposed. This is normal of course as the pinch bolt simply keeps that end of the axle (and whole wheel/final drive assembly) from moving fore and aft, and up and down; and this slight gap varies from ST1100 to ST1100.

Tightening the axle pinch bolt out of sequence could allow damaging play in the final drive/driven flange/wheel interfaces.

JAT

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Afan

Afan

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
When you say the wheel is done, toast, you mean the whole thing, rim etc. or just the dumper holder, dumper wheel, etc.? I'm bit confused. :(

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
When you say the wheel is done, toast, you mean the whole thing, rim etc. or just the dumper holder, dumper wheel, etc.? I'm bit confused. :(
The "dampers" are not the main problem with the wheel now, although they probably helped in the destruction that we now see. Focus on that circular hub around the wheel bearing, It has been damaged beyond repair. The whole wheel is therefore garbage.

Your new tire is still good though, if that is some small consolation.

EDIT: Seriously, I'd be marching the wheel back to that dealer (tech) that installed that tire, and demand all the money for the tire and labour that I'd paid, since the tech should have known that the bike was unrideable in the condition that he saw when he pulled that wheel off!

Last edited:
Top Bottom