Looking for some background info.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
After convincing the Wife to let me get another bike I found these two on the internet and would like to know more about the history of these two particular bikes. If any one knows anything please share.

The red one is a 1997 model in the Kansas City, Missouri area and the blue one is a 2001 model in the Houston area.

Thank you!

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Well the blue one has been re-painted. Honda never offered the 1100 in blue for the US market. Dunno if that means it was wrecked or not.

-Jeff

OP
OP
nlopitziii
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I hope it hasn't been wercked, it sure looks good in that blue. Definitely would be the only one like it on a ST group ride!

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
Red for sure. I'd be very suspicious of a ST that has been repainted. There is a very good reason that you don't see them repainted. It's a pain. I can't imagine why someone would paint one unless it was in a serious accident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
You'd have to really inspect the Blue one... no decals so the paint job might have been done after an accident.

OP
OP
nlopitziii
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Ok so the blue one is out. It looks really cool.but it is just too risky. Thank you to everybody for pointing that out. :)

The red one however, the HMW decal on the saddle bag, I know they were being sold on the forum a while hack. Also the tail bright reflective stickers, I have the same exact set on my bike. There was a member selling them as a side job/hobby and the unique thing was the long side strip. Seeing that makes me think the former owner of the red one was/is a ST-Owners member.

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Being the devil's advocate for the blue bike - it's a different color and I would think if someone was strictly painting it to cover up damage it they'd choose the same color. An in-person inspection would tell you a lot about the condition of the plastics. Plastics can be replaced, there's nothing to say the red one is all original either! Caveat emptor. Bring a flashlight, some tools ask to remove panels and INSPECT each bike.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I would care less about the colors, even if the blue bike has been repainted. How many miles on each bike ?? And what is the overall condition of each one in ?? Take the oil cap off and look into the motor of each. Same with the gas cap & tank and radiator cap & cooling system, if you can get the owners to remove some plastic.

What shape are the brake rotors in ?? Rotate the rear wheel with the trans in neutral; does it seem smooth ? When in gear, is there any slop in the drive line ? Any side to side slop in the rear wheel or swingarm ? Does the front wheel turn smoothly when off the ground ?? Etc. , etc.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
Being the devil's advocate for the blue bike - it's a different color and I would think if someone was strictly painting it to cover up damage it they'd choose the same color. An in-person inspection would tell you a lot about the condition of the plastics. Plastics can be replaced, there's nothing to say the red one is all original either! Caveat emptor. Bring a flashlight, some tools ask to remove panels and INSPECT each bike.
I have to disagree about choosing the same color for repairs. First off, the original paint is almost impossible or at least extremely difficult to match. And the paint is ridiculously expensive. You can pick up slightly damaged parts on eBay pretty cheap. Trying to get matching color, undamaged parts is another story. And factory replacement parts are expensive. I've ordered plenty of parts from Service Honda. The price for a few major pieces of Tupperware would more than pay for a new paint job. Then you have to ask yourself, "what is the quality of the paint job?" The factory paint on ST's imo is awesome. Take decent care of it and it will literally look like new 20 years later. It's sounds like the Blue one is out of the picture anyway. With all this said, the ST takes well to repairs. I just wouldn't go out of my way looking for trouble. Especially when you have options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
As with any 'modern' vehicle with its little electronic brains spread all over.........check whatever wiring you can access for cracked insulation, discoloration and green or white fuzz just inside connectors. The battery area, under the left side cover can be most telling of its electrical condition. I think this would be a reasonable request...removal of the seat, left bag and the side cover shouldn't take five minutes. Feel the wires at the handlebars for pliability.

While you're under there, look for evidence of battery acid spills. Is there evidence that the bike has been cleaned, or is there 20 years of road crud on the 'dim' areas.

These items, along with the mechanical things already pointed out should give you a feeling for your future with the bike.

Parts and good advice are readily available. Aside from plastic removal taking more time than most repairs, the 1100 is easy to work on. You really get to know the machine during repairs.

OP
OP
nlopitziii
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
@ Nicholas - What's wrong with your classic 1991 ST1100?!

John
Nothing major really, just after 10+ years on the same bike I am starting to crave something different and not black. I really want to move up to a GL1800 but that is just not in the current budget. Truth be told other than the Goldwing 1800 or CTX1300 the ST1100 is really the only other bike I am interested in. I have kicked around the thought if an older ST1300 but was never a true fan of the looks of em.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I had the same "itch" about a year ago. In my case my wife had broken her leg and my 1100 was getting a little rough around the edges. It was due for it's third carburetor rebuilt due to neglect. Grand kids put an end to our riding for a couple years. My route was VFR800, DR200,Drz400 then back home to the ST1300. Everyone of the Non-ST bikes were awesome. But I didn't fall in love with any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I would care less about the colors, even if the blue bike has been repainted. How many miles on each bike ?? And what is the overall condition of each one in ?? Take the oil cap off and look into the motor of each. Same with the gas cap & tank and radiator cap & cooling system, if you can get the owners to remove some plastic.

What shape are the brake rotors in ?? Rotate the rear wheel with the trans in neutral; does it seem smooth ? When in gear, is there any slop in the drive line ? Any side to side slop in the rear wheel or swingarm ? Does the front wheel turn smoothly when off the ground ?? Etc. , etc.
What Jim sez.

BTW, I had 91 SSMST repainted nearly that same blue purely for cosmetic reasons. It was an expensive mistake but there was no need except cosmetics.

As we all know, the 1100 is nearly indestructible under the plastic. Aside from the rare cracked block, not much else would be a show stopper for me. If either is ABS, it would be the one.

Keep us poSTed.

Top Bottom