Frame Near Legs Too Hot to Touch

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hey guys, I recently bought my first ever st13 and took it on a European tour. WOW my feet and lower legs were on fire, the heat was sooo uncomfortable, I even cut two holes in my expensive boots hoping to get air in to cool my feet but i would have to turn my feet at 90degrees and heels on the tips of the pegs to get a little satisfaction.
i am now going to drill holes in the inner cowls and hope that works, I really like the bike but the heat on the feet is starting to put me off....
Good luck with the heat.....I haven't found a good heat reduction fix yet.... New air filter, diesel oil, sync done, antifreeze replacement etc...

My best solution to date... trick is to control and have a direct stream of cool (not engine heat) air.... This solution keeps my tank cool and in fact I can feel my pant legs (in front of my shins) flap in the air stream as it flows down my legs onto my boots.... End game, cool crotch, legs and feet....
Nut_Cooler_IMG_4087.jpg

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
My best solution to date... trick is to control and have a direct stream of cool (not engine heat) air.... This solution keeps my tank cool and in fact I can feel my pant legs (in front of my shins) flap in the air stream as it flows down my legs onto my boots.... End game, cool crotch, legs and feet....
Nut_Cooler_IMG_4087.jpg
Cool thinking! Not the prettiest, but sure seems functional. Now, if Honda engineers had paid attention to the cacophony of complaints about the 1300 heat problem, they could have redesigned the fairing to incorporate such air chutes into the design a little less obtrusively.

Bike
2006 ST1300
TBS sync and baker wings fixed mine. My #3 cylinder was running way lean and was causing the pipe behind my leg to get really hot. I bought a carb-tune and did it myself.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
TBS sync and baker wings fixed mine. My #3 cylinder was running way lean and was causing the pipe behind my leg to get really hot. I bought a carb-tune and did it myself.
Are Baker Wings still available because the sync , oil and antifreeze didn't help me.......

My cylinders were all very close also......

Bike
2006 ST1300
Are Baker Wings still available because the sync , oil and antifreeze didn't help me.......

My cylinders were all very close also......
Yes they are still available but I'm not sure which model I ended up using. Here is what they look like on a dirty bike in a messy garage. The great thing is you can heat and cool with them. For summer riding it shoots fresh air right on my feet. For cold weather riding you can fold them in and it pulls heat from the engine and shoots it on your legs.
20180711_130612.jpg

20180711_130559.jpg

We have a winner! :1st::wave1::amflag:
I also agree with with igofar's wisdom on windscreens. I have a summer windscreen and a cold / rainy weather windscreen. And...I LOVE airflow! I want loads of air flowing over me when I'm riding. The reason I ride is to feel the wind on my face any yes sometimes bugs in my teeth. I have no expectation of having a perfectly still bubble of air at 70ph. I also usually wear that ego crushing armored onesie called a Roadcrafter so I need airflow to survive the heat regardless of what bike I'm on. My summer windscreen is the stocker cut down 3 inches with a laminar lip. The laminar lip gives me nice clean airflow all the way down to the windscreens it's lowest position. Unless It's cold or rainy, I'm riding with the windscreen nearly down all the way. My cold / rainy weather windscreen is some huge aftermarket monstrosity that makes me feel like I have a sail and and I'm on the seven seas. If I wanted perfectly still air I'd buy a bike that let's me wear a little leather vest and have leather tassels on the ends of my handlebars. Here is the summer windscreen.

20180711_130804.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2008 Goldwing GL1800
To OP, there is a little triangle openning in the frame around your ankle area, these triangle opennings are for adjusting your rear brake light and something else. On the pre-2008 ST1300, there is a movable rubber flap to cover this triangle openning. If this flap is not in place, you will feel heat at your leg and angle. Check it first, sometimes the solution can be simple.
Kenny

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
You man hay? LOL
Yeah 90*F+ stop and go for me feels like the boys are in the over on 425.....brutal. I used to think my air cooled harley got hot...but DAAAANNGGG this is crazy. Anything under 70*F I feel no heat from the bike.
Come up to Vinny's place in October and I'll show you how to fix that issue on a really hot running donor bike.
Igofar

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Man I very much might have to take you up on that. LOL I am actually heading up to Dahlonega Saturday to look at another property. What is the date on that? I want to add it to my calendar just so I dont forget.
Vinny has it posted under West meets East (Mini) Tech Event...

Top Bottom