A front flat and friendly help

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I had a shop install a new front tire which is something I never do.
So a few days later riding in Kansas I do a high-speed run followed by a thunderstorm complete with heavy rain then hail. The bike felt like I was in a boat so I started slowing down then the bars went crazy. I managed to ride it out upright to a stop.
I posted for assistance. Response came from 200 miles away. Apperently the reused 90? valve stem may have been weakened at the shop, and I just did some high-speed running. The centrifical force bent the stem out of line and opened up a crack in the rubber base. Fortunately it didn't really start to let go until I was doing about 60.
I propped the stem up with a lot of gorilla tape. It held. For 25 minutes no pressure loss was apparent. So I rode at incrementally higher speed checking the pressure. I settled at 60mph. ultimately getting to John's house in Golden CO.

Thank You John in Golden.

It was a pleasure to meet you and it was a pleasure working with you during the professional level pitstop saving me at least a day of downtime.
I'll learn how to post pics when I get back. I am on day 6 of a two week ride.
Rode Colorado 141 today. Amazing

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Way to go John! Hope the rest of the ride is trouble free for you.

John STeele
Peace and All Good

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
John is good people.. glad to see it worked out. 141 is truly a great road. Have a safe rest of your trip.

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Glad to hear the flat didn't cause more trouble than it did and that you made a new friend that helped you get it repaired! The RAN list is an awesome idea, when I found it on the site I was extremely impressed! Evidence that there are still good people out there and most of them ride a ST!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you were able to get your problem solved and on the road again!

Yes CO 141 is a great road, I rode it just a couple of weeks ago with me brother and two years ago with my sons! :D

We have something special here, that's for sure! Willing folks to help you out when in need!

Back in 2013, my bother (on his bike) was following a couple of my sons and I (in my son's truck) out to Travis AFB when he hit a false ceiling screw and it did a number on his rear tire. But Khris came to the rescue with a spare tire and even mounted it for Dave! He also helped out because Dave's Rear Drive Flange bears were also shot, and Khris had an extra set handy!

Saved our trip to Oregon! Oregon 2013

Yep! This forum is GREAT! :D

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
+2 on the type/brand of stem. Was it all rubber? Was it a metal 90? metal stem on a typical rubber stem? Was it an O-ring or rubber base on a solid metal stem?

Glad you could ride it out unscathed and good on ya John!

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
It was good to meet you Frank, and glad to help you on your way!

CO 141 ... yeah, fantastic! Did you get Loveland and Independence passes too?

OP
OP
sirbike

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Yeah, Khris responded too. Really appreciate that.
I did ride over Loveland and Independence passes. Just in time.
Rode the bicentennial highway.
On my way a couple hundred miles northbound out of LasVegas, I checked the weather, backtracked some and rode through Zion NP today.
The valve stem was a steel L shape With an all rubber base. The was some leverage there at speed. It came with the bike.
John had a stem of the type that I have bought. A low profile 90degree aluminum bolt in stem.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Anybody else get that message?

The GoldWings have an L-shaped metal valve stem there there's a keeper on the rim that restricts the movement of the stem.

I'm guessing the new aluminum stem is the same as the one sold by a vendor here on the forum?

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I had a similar experience with rubber based metal 90* stems on my 1100 while out in Wyoming about seven years ago. Just the wrong type of stems for a high speed machine. The front stem failed at the base, just like yours. The next day, the rear tire started losing air, then the wheel swallowed the stem. Was an aggravating two days!
Glad you were able to get help and sort it out.
Way to be, John!

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
I'm guessing the new aluminum stem is the same as the one sold by a vendor here on the forum?

Yes, we installed an aluminum 90* valve stem (which I bought from SlowBoyRacing; link).
iP6 4468a Frank sirbike after new valve stem install 2016-09-18.jpg

Here's Frank, getting ready to head back out after the valve stem install...
iP6 4469a Frank sirbike after new valve stem install 2016-09-18.jpg

Last edited:

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, Khris responded too. Really appreciate that.
I did ride over Loveland and Independence passes. Just in time.
Rode the bicentennial highway.
On my way a couple hundred miles northbound out of LasVegas, I checked the weather, backtracked some and rode through Zion NP today.
The valve stem was a steel L shape With an all rubber base. The was some leverage there at speed. It came with the bike.
John had a stem of the type that I have bought. A low profile 90degree aluminum bolt in stem.
That is the same type I had on my ST and mine failed after riding through Death Valley on the way to Kingman, AZ. I have since replaced them with the all metal type like these:
https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=169&products_id=677&osCsid=0kjfppv7290o1jop0i17q2sev3

Top Bottom