Portable Air Compressor Recommendations

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
The last camping trip I took on the ST1300 I packed the air compressor that I carry around in the trunk of my car. It's too big, heavy, and unwieldy. I'd like to find something small and effective for those side-of-the-road situations. I've seen that some people like the Slime pumps and can even fit them under the seat, which sounds pretty ideal to me...

Just curious what others have used and how these compressors are holding up. I'd like to get something before the BRG so I can free up some room!

-TJH

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The air pump that comes with Hyundai 'spareless' vehicles is rather small and easy to stow away. But...slow. It took 45 minutes to pump up my flat spare (experiment). A bike tire has less volume, and would fill more quickly. Will measure the pump when the car comes back home.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I carry a small Slime compressed that I have used on several occasions. I purchased it at Target where they had several sizes. Mine is a small one that reports 14 minutes to fill standard size tire.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I purchased this Slime kit a couple years ago. Fits nicely in the back under my ST1100 seat.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Whatever brand you decide on make sure it has a cooling fan built in. I have an Ingersoll Rand its about 1.5 " x 4" x 6" and works well.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
I carry a small Slime compressed that I have used on several occasions. I purchased it at Target where they had several sizes. Mine is a small one that reports 14 minutes to fill standard size tire.
x2 : sure hope I don't have to prove Ron correct by having to use mine in the near future. However, I do have the small one and it has been recommended by several STers.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I've had the small Slime one with the built in gauge. Had it for about 4 years now. Used it quite a few times over the years. Just pulled it out last Friday when I needed some air in the rear tire (slow leak). The public pump I stopped at has the big long chuck and won't connect to my rear valve stem. So out came the portable, screwed it on and about 4 minutes later went from 22 to 32. Be sure you have the bike running, it will kill a battery.

The gauge isn't super accurate.. but for side of road it will work great!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I just ordered the Antigravity compressor from Amazon to go with my Antigravity XP10 jump start battery. I'll try it out, when it gets here on Thursday and will give a report.

Ride Safe
John and Janis

Byron

STOC #
You might find this info useful or not. The reason I say or not is because I have the Slime compressor on all my bikes and have not had any of the issues mentioned in the review.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've got a smallish air compressor that was on sale at Harbor Freight for > $30. Bigger than a Slime I can still fit it in a bag with other stuff.

A buddy had a Slime and like every cheap air compressor I've ever owned the the pot metal valve self-destructed when released from the stem. Fortunately the tire was filled. It was only the second time it was ever used. It might be a one off for Slime but very cheap pump or compressor I've had failed the same way. If I could replace that valve or hose and valve I'd feel better about any pump.

In lieu of replacing the chuck there's a pricey option I've been considering:

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-29-cyclepump-expedition-model.aspx

29.jpg

Bigger than a Slime
Smaller than the HF
Pricey
Almost Mil-Spec
Pricey (did I mention that already?)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Slime and like every cheap air compressor I've ever owned the the pot metal valve self-destructed when released from the stem.
I picked up the one with the screw on tire valve. Mayeb a bit more durable then the lever type? Well, at least it has been so far.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I picked up the one with the screw on tire valve. Mayeb a bit more durable then the lever type? Well, at least it has been so far.
That's a thought. I've never had one of those fail.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
A tire plug kit and a few co2 cartridges work for me. Fast fill, light and compact storage in a small tupperware container
I start off with co2 to fill the tire and use the compressor to top it off. The problem with only having co2 with you is that if your plug doesn't hold the first time, you may be out of co2 unless you carry a bunch of them.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Stop and Go Products (USA) makes an engine air pump specifically for the ST1100/1300. Remove the spark plug from one cylinder, connect the adapter, the pump and the hose to the cylinder and fill the tire to desired pressure, with the engine running. The pump draws fresh air into the cylinder, so no fuel/air mixture is pumped into the tire. This is the way it works with the 1100's carbureted system, but with the 1300's fuel injection, there may still be some fuel/air mix going into the tire, but you will still never be stranded by an electric compressor that stops working when needed, or not enough CO2 cartridges to fill adequately. Compared to the electric units mentioned, this pumps a tire very quickly too. Not much more than a minute, if memory serves.

Be sure to ground the spark plug lead removed for the pump.

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I just ordered the Antigravity compressor from Amazon to go with my Antigravity XP10 jump start battery. I'll try it out, when it gets here on Thursday and will give a report.

Ride Safe
John and Janis
Very interested to hear how that pump works. I was just looking at that last week

Bike
06 Honda ST1300
I got a slime one last Sat at Walmart for $14.95, it was the one above the smallest. I use to top off the ST13 tires and car. The tiny one says top off pump but I figured for $5 more I'd get a slightly bigger one.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Many years ago, I bought a Campbell Hausfield 12V pump at Walmart and modified it per instructions from MCN (I think). That pump was great and lasted many years. It lasted until the vibrations of carrying on multiple motorcycles abraded a hole in the hose. I bought a Slime pump (with the screw on hose) but it's been a little balky. It always works eventually but I'm looking for something that ALWAYs works the first time.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Last edited:
Top Bottom