dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/Rocky_Creek_MotoPressor_p/motopressor.htm

This is the one I use - really light and compact, and can inflate in a couple minutes.
Hey I'm pretty sure that's the same $10 pump without the plastic enclosure you can find in an auto parts store. I removed the enclosure and used a pill bottle to fab the finger guard-shroud around the gear wheel. Wrapped in a small terry towel it rides out of sight in the tail section of the NC700X. The first one I bought after getting the 05 ST is bigger and has the pressure gauge built in the enclosure. It rides at all times in the left saddlebag. That pump and gummy worm tool kit has gotten me home 5 or 6 times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tj_heebes
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I appreciate everyone's feedback! I'm leaning toward to small Slime pump with the screw on adapter as my first MC-specific air compressor. I'll probably get one in the next couple of days. They seem to work well and I like that I can tack it onto my existing battery charger leads.

That being said, I'm admittedly intrigued by the spark-plug based compressors. I didn't know those were out there. Perhaps as a backup in the future...

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
That being said, I'm admittedly intrigued by the spark-plug based compressors. I didn't know those were out there. Perhaps as a backup in the future...
It seems an interesting idea... in a Rube Goldberg way.

Like an automotive exhaust jack I think the spark based compressor will work if I am doing a solo trek across the jungles of S. America. But for day to day use... not too practical. If I had a flat on the road and needed to completely re-fill the tire it would be almost acceptable. But if I just needed to top off... or if I passed someone sitting on the side of the road... I'd be a lot less willing to help.

Getting wrench out for spark plug, wear and tear on moving the spark plug wires, assembling parts and pieces. 10' of 16ga wire vs 5' air hose, size, portability...

Yeah, I'll pull over and help plug or air any tire issues I see on the side of the road, with an electric pump.

Bike
09 ST1300
Hey I'm pretty sure that's the same $10 pump without the plastic enclosure you can find in an auto parts store.
Yup that's exactly what is is.. Someone capitalized on the idea and started producing them. comes in a nifty cushion rubber type bag, and can attach either to sae plug or alligator clips. I could have made my own for sure, but this was all ready to go, and they sure work like a champ :)

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I wish a company made a compact pump that pumped a higher volume to a lower maximum pressure, say like 50 lbs. That way, a larger volume piston could be used and the tire would inflate faster.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Well, I got the Antigravity pump in the mail yesterday and got a chance to try it out this morning. I let some air out of someone's tire in the driveway. I'm not sayin' who's tire it was, since I still value my life. Anyway, I dropped the air in Janis' tire on her Focus to 20PSI and connected the compressor. The first thing I noticed was that the gauge on the compressor reads about 5 PSI lower than my stick gauge. I plugged the compressor into my Antigravity XP10 jump start battery and after 5 minutes, the pressure was up to an indicated 27PSI on the compressors gauge. When I checked with my stick gauge, it was reading 32PSI, as expected. It compressor came with a 9 ft cigar lighter cord as well as a 12 inch cord to use with the jump battery. The ends of the 2 supplied cords use a SAE connector to plug into the side of the compressor. You could also purchase a SAE extension cord at most auto parts houses to use the compressor straight from a battery tender connection. Overall, I'm pleased since it takes up less room that my Slime pump and seems to be as good, if not better.

John

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I got the Antigravity pump in the mail yesterday and got a chance to try it out this morning. I let some air out of someone's tire in the driveway. I'm not sayin' who's tire it was, since I still value my life. Anyway, I dropped the air in Janis' tire on her Focus to 20PSI and connected the compressor. The first thing I noticed was that the gauge on the compressor reads about 5 PSI lower than my stick gauge. I plugged the compressor into my Antigravity XP10 jump start battery and after 5 minutes, the pressure was up to an indicated 27PSI on the compressors gauge. When I checked with my stick gauge, it was reading 32PSI, as expected. It compressor came with a 9 ft cigar lighter cord as well as a 12 inch cord to use with the jump battery. The ends of the 2 supplied cords use a SAE connector to plug into the side of the compressor. You could also purchase a SAE extension cord at most auto parts houses to use the compressor straight from a battery tender connection. Overall, I'm pleased since it takes up less room that my Slime pump and seems to be as good, if not better.

John
Sounds pretty good. If possible, could you take a photo of it next to the Slime pump?

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
In the first pic, you can see that it's a little bit smaller, but in the second pic, you can see how the 4" hose and screw fitting tucks into a slot in the top and side of the housing. The XP10 jump battery comes in a rather large case 10 x 10 x 1 1/2", since it comes with a slew of cables, adapters, and battery clamps, but the compressor fits into the case with the battery and cords. So, if I'm taking the battery anyway, the compressor rides for free. :D

Ride Safe
John and Janis

Bike
06 Honda ST1300
I think the screw on one is better, I have a hard time getting the 90 degree one on.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
cchassey said:
I have a hard time getting the 90 degree one on.
99% of those are made of crap pot metal. I've had/seen many self-destruct over the years with one of them being a Slime pump. I like the screw-on valve better. But the Cycle Pump Expedition that I mentioned earlier has what looks like a decent steel 90? valve.

That A-G pump looks interesting.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I also have the Slime pump bought at Wal-Mart for less than the price at Amazon now. THIS is the newer version of the one I have. Mine did't come with a case so I made a stuff sack to carry it. Only take the 12v plug on the bike since I have a socket. It does inflate rather fast but haven't timed it. Looks to be the same as what many others have here. I have 83 deg angled valve stems so don't have any of the issues that having a straight valve stem seems to cause. This has a permanent home in my saddlebag along with a tire plug kit. I also have mc jumper cables that go along on trips.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Can you get a screw on end for the Slime pump?
I don't think you can change the ends on the pump, swagrd fittings.

But you can buy a small Slime punp with the screw fitting, also has a gauge and led light. Slime #40020. I think it's the smallest and most cimpact one they make too.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I just bought the Micro start pump on Amazon and it should be delivered Tuesday. Then all i should need is a plug kit and a small bottle of slime to ensure i never need to use the items on my bike.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I got my Micro-Start from Amazon and it's a nice bit of kit. Chopped the cigar plug off and installed a proper Powerlet/BMW-style plug. Ran a couple of test and it seems equal to my old pump. I like the shorter hose, cuts way down on the required storage space. I'll try a 0-42 psi test on my rear tire next.

John

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
In the first pic, you can see that it's a little bit smaller, but in the second pic, you can see how the 4" hose and screw fitting tucks into a slot in the top and side of the housing. The XP10 jump battery comes in a rather large case 10 x 10 x 1 1/2", since it comes with a slew of cables, adapters, and battery clamps, but the compressor fits into the case with the battery and cords. So, if I'm taking the battery anyway, the compressor rides for free. :D
Thanks so much for the pictures. I'm going with one of the smaller jump starters probably from Anitgravity and will undoubtedly get that pump. The Slime pump I have has always worked but the switch is mickey mouse and takes a little fiddling to get the pump going. Have you checked the pressure gauge for accuracy yet?

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Bringing another thread back from the dead. After two punctures in the last 6 months I have become paranoid about tyre deflation. Thankfully both times I have been able to use a service station compressor to reinflate my plugged tyre, but I'm sure the day will come when I'm reliant on the CO2.

I ordered up an Antigravity pump from eBay, and gave that a garage test run this evening. I am well impressed that something so light and small was able to re-inflate a 180/55 x 17 from dead flat to 35 psi in 7 minutes. I will find a nice little carry case and then this will be coming on all my future rides.

Attachments

Top Bottom