My ST1100 just started puking out all it's coolant from the overflow tank - why?

Bike
R1200rt
I would think if the head gasket was blown, allowing the volume of coolant pushed out the overflow that the OP seems to be reporting, the engine would be running very poorly.
its possible for compression to slightly leak into the cooling system causing a eventual air pocket and then expelling coolant thru the cap. at times the leak may reseal for short periods of time (expansion of aluminum) A blue water test would confirm exhaust gasses in the coolant, head gasket leak. I think you can pick up that kit at amazon https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-75500-Combustion-Leak-Detector/dp/B0007ZDRUI

OP
OP
So I fitted a new radiator cap and have since done about 1,000 miles with no issues, including some altitude stuff (>10,000 ft) I'm going to call it fixed, thanks for all the help.

Bike
ST1100
So I fitted a new radiator cap and have since done about 1,000 miles with no issues, including some altitude stuff (>10,000 ft) I'm going to call it fixed, thanks for all the help.
Sounds like a result! Good to hear you are back in the saddle after you're "op".

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
My many years of wrenching has shown me that a bad radiator cap is the number one culprit for many overheat issues, which leads to blown head gaskets etc etc. Can't tell you how many customers I had to replace head gaskets for, but mention a new radiator cap and they look at you like you are crazy. Radiator caps are way up there on the list of overlooked maintenance items. I had a rule in my shop, need a radiator? Get a new radiator cap and maybe a thermostat(depending on the situation). Don't want one, take it someplace else to fix.
Blown head gasket?, you got a new radiator cap as well. And possibly a bunch of other stuff, depending on what I found. it blew for a reason.

Top Bottom