K & N Filter Yes or No ?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Besides the poor fitment, which a lot of members can attest too, I have found members bikes with a sandy film, bugs, leaves, and debris, as well as over oiling residue in the air box due to their use of K&N filters. You also have to figure in the cost of the K&N filter cleaner spray, and the oil they recommend you use, which is about the cost of a new OEM filter :rofll1:
A person can add foam weather stripping along the top for better fitment, and learn not to over oil them, but most folks just want to over spray and put them in.
You would need two filters to do the job quickly, rather than wait for a day for the filter to air dry after washing, then for the oil to set for several hours before installing again.
OEM, you just open the package and install it and close things up in a matter of minutes.

Byron

STOC #
So this topic has been beaten to death more times than who assassinated JFK but I'll chime in again for the heck of it. Do I run K&N filters on my vehicles, YES! Am I experiencing any long term ill affects, NO!

I've run one on my ST1300 since it was almost new, it has over 100,000 miles and still running strong. When I added it I also modified my air box with a Turbo City mod which added addition air inlets in the top front of the box for increase air flow. I run one on a KLR 650, granted not the mileage of the ST but the oiled filter does grab dirt without restricting airflow like a paper filter. It acts like a diatomaceous earth aquarium filter, as it collects more dirt it filters out more dirt. I run one in my Avalanche and it has over 160,000 miles with no ill effects. I run one on my FJ 40 Land Cruiser with 350 cu. in. SBC with over 100,000 miles and no ill effects.

I've never had to replace a single filter in these vehicles, simply wash and re-oil. This is my personal experience with K&N air filters, YMMV.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I never thought my K & N filter fit well within the ST1300 airbox as I had to add significant grease around the edges to get a good seal. After using one, and spending the $$, I realized I should have never done it and stayed with the stock air filter even though it costs $40 to replace.

And, on the cost to service one must remember that the K&N filter requires a maintenance kit that consists of a cleaner and oiler which adds to the on-going cost. So, the K&N may save you about $5 over the course of two years assuming you ride 12,000 miles/year. Plus I found the K&N to be a pain and take too much time in that you had to clean it, wait for it to dry, and then oil it before you could reinstall it. I found it much easier, faster, and less messy to pull the old filter, wipe the airbox, and install the new filter. Done.

$40x2 = $80 for stock filter
$50+25 = $75 for K&N filter
can't comment on the 1300 fitment, but it sounds like a common complaint.

regarding the other comments, the oil/cleaner kit lasts almost a lifetime, I think I've bought two cans of K&N spray oil since 1980, and the second one should last another 10 years from now. And since you don't have to clean/oil them more frequently than about 50k miles, if its 3x the work of tossing in a new OEM filter then you're even on that score.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I run one on my FJ 40 Land Cruiser with 350 cu. in. SBC with over 100,000 miles and no ill effects.
I love those older Land Cruisers! Dad almost bought me one in high school but the deal fell through... got a '77 Ford F100 instead. :(

Is a SBC common in those? What tranny? I've not heard of that, but then again, I don't really keep up with that kind of stuff much anymore. I did want a 240Z with a SBC though. ;)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
So, the K&N may save you about $5 over the course of two years assuming you ride 12,000 miles/year.
Yeah.. but if you ride 20k a year, and the recharge kit for the K&N is good for at least 4 uses, maybe 6? At 4 recharges you are now saving $160 vs $75, at 6 $240 vs $75.

It does take time, one more step, but since I do the filter the same time as a few other maintenance so while it's drying I can work on other things.
Some like one, some like the other.

I'm double dark, so my bike is already screwed up.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
... Plus I found the K&N to be a pain and take too much time in that you had to clean it, wait for it to dry, and then oil it before you could reinstall it. I found it much easier, faster, and less messy to pull the old filter, wipe the airbox, and install the new filter. Done.
Besides the poor fitment, which a lot of members can attest too, I have found members bikes with a sandy film, bugs, leaves, and debris, as well as over oiling residue in the air box due to their use of K&N filters. You also have to figure in the cost of the K&N filter cleaner spray, and the oil they recommend you use, which is about the cost of a new OEM filter :rofll1:
A person can add foam weather stripping along the top for better fitment, and learn not to over oil them, but most folks just want to over spray and put them in.
You would need two filters to do the job quickly, rather than wait for a day for the filter to air dry after washing, then for the oil to set for several hours before installing again.
OEM, you just open the package and install it and close things up in a matter of minutes.
My .02 after putting over 300,000 miles on 5 ST1300s over the last almost 11 (10 y 10 m) years!

I used a K&N air filter on my 2005 for years! When I sold it to my son (2013), I put in a stock filter. Figured if he wanted a K&N, he could buy his own! ;)

About every 10K, when I cleaned that K&N filter in the '05, I never really found any more "stuff" (Like Larry is describing) in my airbox. In fact, it was always pretty clean.

I came across a couple of new stock filters really cheap, so I thought I would try a couple of tests. One was to see how much oil got into the airbox, stock vs K&N. They seem to be about the same. Okay, how much crud would I see, they were about the same. That was when my 2010 had about 25,000 miles on it (now has 50K). The '04#2 was just being put on the road and now has 20,000 miles.

I currently have three K&N filters. Right now two are on the shelve and one is in the '04#2. Once the 2010 filter needs replacing, one of the K&Ns will be going back in. I really think it is just preference! If you are going to use a K&N, just make sure it is seated like it should be, and you'll be fine.

So as far as what Larry has seen from K&N filters, I would say they probably weren't seated properly.

Oh and BTW, I use the K&N 204 Oil Filter. I love that little 17mm nut on the end! :D I've been pretty lucky, I've found them on ebay for under $10, so I usually pick up 10 at a time. I go through one every couple of months (about 5,000 miles).

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah.. but if you ride 20k a year, and the recharge kit for the K&N is good for at least 4 uses, maybe 6? At 4 recharges you are now saving $160 vs $75, at 6 $240 vs $75.

It does take time, one more step, but since I do the filter the same time as a few other maintenance so while it's drying I can work on other things.
Some like one, some like the other.

I'm double dark, so my bike is already screwed up.
I think someone is using too much air filter oil in their air filters....:eek::

With having multiple (one more than you need) filters, grab one off the shelve put it in and clean the other when you have time...later! Before you need it again! ;)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I was thinking about switching to a K& N filter in my St1300 the next time it needs one and today I was reading on a BMW forum that they did not like them because they feel it lets too big of particles thru and wears out the engine faster.

Does anybody have high miles on their bike that have a K&N disproving this line of thinking ?

I cannot deny that the K7N probably has bigger openings and is made for racing.
So you see Buckaroo, even with the harsh reality of empirical evidence that proves the lack of quality filtration in K & N air filters, the believers are not to be swayed. Now, what is YOUR decision??

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So you see Buckaroo, even with the harsh reality of empirical evidence that proves the lack of quality filtration in K & N air filters, the believers are not to be swayed. Now, what is YOUR decision??
Yep, just like the oil threads, everyone ignores the Scientific Research, because we all know that no matter what, we'll go with what works for us! :D

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
The following is "mostly" all in good fun:

And this my friends is how "bad info" is born on the internet. The test didn't prove the lack of quality filtration, only a .03% less amount of filtration. They also did not say what size of particles were trapped in filter only what size was poured into the filters. The dust was from 2.5 to 80 microns. 10 microns is only .0004" of an inch so what dust did it let pass? The test was not on a ST1300 filter it was on a duramax diesel engine filter at 350cfm flow, the ST won't flow more than maybe 150cfm. So the data "scientifically" doesn't tell us a thing about a K&N ST1300 air filter as the original poster asked.

Ya ya I know my statement is as broad as yours but the question asked was: "Does anybody have high miles on their bike that have a K&N disproving this line of thinking ?" and several of us answered that question and nobody replied with a "Mine blew at 22,000 miles because of bad filtering". In conclusion, scientific internet research on the STowners site proves the K&N filter is a great item for a long lasting engine!!

Look, I got videos too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJW29eDZXzg

Bike
2010 ST1300
Jeff B. posted a good study on the topic in an earlier post, which confirmed that K&N allows more dust to pass through compared to paper element filters, nobody should dispute that point. However, it did not include any data on engine wear, which is what really matters. Like you say, I'm not trying to sway opinions either way, but let's not condemn a product that many here have used for years without negative effects either. I've put over 100k miles on each of two bikes I've owned over the years, and neither seemed to suffer from K&N filtration. Other bikes also ran K&N, but for less miles before I sold them, so not as meaningful a data point.
Who is condemning KnN filters? I sold one 84 Guzzi with these filters (that I had poured around 10K into - above and beyond the KnN's) and have another ('76) with the same filters that I will probably sell next year. Despite that, I wondered about increased engine wear. And, having read the mentioned study, it seems obvious to me that a thorough study looking at engine wear and a few other aspects of using these filters will probably show that wear is accelerated, but may or may not be significant over the life of the vehicle (esp. in the east, where we put enough salt and other chemicals on the roads in winter to make the cars melt before your eyes). Now, this is my guess - call it a hypothesis - that remains to be proven. I'm a stock paper filter guy for my ST.

And I think RCS is right - the mess and bother of washing the filter, spraying it with oil is just not worth whatever advantages the filter MIGHT provide. Since I'm not pursuing hp (like I was with the ST1000 Guzzi), what are the benefits? None, to my way of thinking.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
In conclusion, scientific internet research on the STowners site proves the K&N filter is a great item for a long lasting engine!!
and the extra grit that passes through the K&N media cleans the carbon off of your intake valves, so its a win-win. :D

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SMSW said:
And I think RCS is right - the mess and bother of washing the filter, spraying it with oil is just not worth whatever advantages the filter MIGHT provide. Since I'm not pursuing hp (like I was with the ST1000 Guzzi), what are the benefits? None, to my way of thinking.
I'm pretty much in agreement with both above parties. Use what you want. I got tired of swapping out OEM for K&Ns and doing the oiling and cleaning. I liked the sound of un-silenced air cleaners- always have. But there's just no ROI for me.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
OK but was that a European ping pong ball or an African ping pong ball ? :headbang:
they used polarized air to give the K&N an advantage. Notice how the pleats of the paper filter were oriented vertically, but the K&N pleats were horizontal. the horizontally polarized air easily flows through the K&N, but gets blocked by the paper filter.

Top Bottom