Suggestions for Vegas from Alberta October 2016

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Hi all. I want to ride to Vegas on the last week of October from Grande Prairie. Unfortunately by mid October or sooner, snow will fall and stick in the mountain passes and maybe here. The plan is to trailer the bikes as far south as required, to be able to unload and ride further south to Vegas and return and trailer them back home. Here is the question(s). Any ideas on how far to safely meet the "south of snow" requirements during that time and any recommendations or offers of places to park a truck and enclosed (14') trailer for a week? Maybe even suggestions on routing for us to drive and ride. Thanks!

lti_57

Above the center of the Earth
Bike
95 ST 1100
I know Spokane is not far enough south for you
But if it is I have have plenty of room for your stuff and very safe. kind of in the country over here.
Its sketch right ? Even down south the high desert can turn on you.
Not sure of your route but Nevada would be of concern to me the few times i have been thru there

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I-5 is passable most of the time so you could ride from Seattle or Portland. There is a pass at the California/Oregon border and then Mt. Shasta City area that can be a problem but they usually clear quickly after a storm especially as early as October. Best plan an extra day or two of leeway on the return. Or you could just drive to Redding. But I-5 can get some nasty fog in the central valley so that's another thing to watch out for.

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I would like to try and avoid going over west towards the coast. Through Spokane could be ok but i would think I may have to trailer south to Salt Lake or area. I will have to look at a topo map and see where the elevations are lower.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just a suggestion as I know you don't want to go towards the coast. Trailer your bike to Vancouver. I can arrange secure parking here for you. Head down to Vegas going your favourite route or choose one that I have taken in May when there was a bit of snow in some of the passes I took. Then head back home with your bike in the back of your truck. I've got a nice place to load and unload your bike out of your truck. Bring your heated gear or you can borrow mine.

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Thanks for the offers guys. I will have to wait until closer to the day and see what the weather patterns are doing.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I would like to try and avoid going over west towards the coast. Through Spokane could be ok but i would think I may have to trailer south to Salt Lake or area. I will have to look at a topo map and see where the elevations are lower.
You're going above 6000' elevation at least a couple times on I-15 south of Salt Lake. I drove through a snow storm last October as a matter of fact which started before Beaver and didn't let up until south of Cedar City.

OP
OP
cdnemsguy
Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Hmm. Seems like quite a distance to get the bikes south where one can ride. I not a fan or rain and cold riding, and definitely not snow. Maybe the coastal route would be better to avoid the higher elevations and then head east once far enough south.

Top Bottom