1100 rear brake pedal "travel"

Hello
is there a was to take up the travel in the rear brake pedal on my 91 1100
I have new pads, fully bled the system and the pedal goes down 1.5-2" before resistance is felt?
ideas. Cheers

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Possibly the MC (& receiver) need an overhaul/rebuild...
On the '00 I've like 1/2", on the '94 also a way larger way till pressure point, due to the old guts inside the MC.

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
There's a small amount of adjustment travel available on the actuator pushrod. Have you tried using that? It's got a threaded shaft and lock nut.

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Turns out, the shop manual specifies169 mm between the actuator clevis pin and the slave cylinder housing mounting bolt nearest the rod end of the housing. Therefore, the rod is only adjustable to meet the 169 mm dimension.

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
After installing the rear cylinder rebuild, free play was also 1.5 inch travel, but brake application was perfect while seated on the bike. It was a completely natural action and the rear braking felt rock solid. I installed Volar ceramic pads, SS brake line and Dot4 synthetic fluid. Works good, gonna last a long time.

97' ST100, Put new pads in and wore them down to nothing in 50 miles, then found out that a push on the rear brake (on center stand) and caliper cylinders don't release pressure off pads/rotor...even trying with screw driver, but after a few minutes I could pry them back enough to release the rotor and spin wheel. I'm not much of mechanicin on this bike it's not had problems....but it seems master cylinder isn't allowing fluid back. Any thoughts on what I should look into

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Sounds like a caliper piston may be sticky (rebuild with a good cleaning) or the master cylinder needs a rebuild. Or, something wasn't rebuilt/repaired/serviced just right. Honda or Clymer manuals are invaluable aids.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
first look at the level of the brake fluid in the reservoir, make sure its not totally full. That's one possibility if you added fluid after the old pads were partially worn. When you push the pistons back in the calipers when replacing the pads, if there's too much fluid in the reservoir you could get a hydraulic lock situation. But, if you can retract the pads with a screwdriver then this probably isn't your problem.

if the level is OK, then your next step would be to look for corrosion on the caliper pistons. That increases friction so they don't retract normally after removing brake pressure.

A third option would be that you didn't replace the parts correctly and that is causing some other type of mechanical interference, check that everything seems to be aligned correctly.

Top Bottom