MCL fork brace issue on ST1100

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just ordered and received a MCL fork brace for my '02 ST1100. One problem I am having (besides the useless instructions that were included) is that the fork brace will not seat all the way down - the front fender is in the way! It ends up rocking when you push it down - seat on the right side, lift up on the left - seat the left side, lift up on the right. :confused: The fender is stock, I tried loosening the bolts to it but it won't move any closer to the tire (non adjustable).

What am I doing wrong? I also noticed it won't fit correctly with the stock brake lines either - something that wasn't mentioned on the MCL site, but I did see referenced here. :(

OP
OP
DJDixon

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I removed the front fender and the fork brace went on without a problem. Of course, the fender wouldn't go back on without removing the fork brace <sigh>.

So it looks like I either need to grind the front fender (just kidding!) or have the fork brace machined. Not the quality I expected from MCL, I'm guessing that they are on there way out, at least with some of the comments about service I have seen on here. Too bad nobody else makes a fork brace for the ST1100.

Such is life!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Whether adding a fork brace on the 1100 is beneficial, or not, has been debated here many times. You will have noticed in taking off the front fender that there already is a substantial chunk of metal incorporated into the assembly there. Honda built a brace into the bike and cleverly hid it.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hmmm... Do you have an ABS model? Did you take off the OEM plastic fork tube protectors? This product has been around for a while so it should fit, unless they have a new manufacturer/production run problem.

Anyone else have a problem with this product recently?

I echo Forest's comment about the OEM brace, although I've had a SuperBrace for many years and believe it works well.

John

OP
OP
DJDixon

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hmmm... Do you have an ABS model? Did you take off the OEM plastic fork tube protectors? This product has been around for a while so it should fit, unless they have a new manufacturer/production run problem.

Anyone else have a problem with this product recently?

I echo Forest's comment about the OEM brace, although I've had a SuperBrace for many years and believe it works well.

John
No, I have the non-ABS model ST1100. And yes, I did remove the fork tube protectors, though I put them back on when I removed the fork brace.

It seems like I would need to remove about 1/8th of an inch from the center bottom of the fork brace for it to work correctly. I guess I'll leave that for another day...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It seems like I would need to remove about 1/8th of an inch from the center bottom of the fork brace for it to work correctly.
That's a lot of material to have to remove. That would only seem necessary if the brace were installed upside down! How thick is the brace? I'd worry that removing that much material in the center would be like scoring a piece of glass so it will break cleanly.

Might you have received a 1300 fork brace packaged as an 1100? Have you contacted MCL? Maybe they could a) send you pics of both the 1100 and 1300 braces so you could compare to yours and b) make it right whether or not you have the 'correct' brace for your 1100.

As John said it's been around for a number of years though nobody has spoken up about having an 1100 with the MCL brace.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...I did remove the fork tube protectors, though I put them back on when I removed the fork brace...
IIRC is the latter not intended...
The fork brace gets installed into the grooves the tube protectors would normally sit; which is why there tin-metal "bat-ears" avail to be bolted on/with the brace to replace the OEM plastic ones.

Some pics (or product info/link) would help though...

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Interesting problem. My MCL fork brace fits just fine on my bike. Maybe they sent you the wrong part.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I wonder if anyone has any tips on installing the MCL fork brace on my 1990 ST11? I followed the vague instructions supplied and it fits in place OK, but if I tighten both sides I get stiction. If I tighten just one side and leave the other loose, it's fine, for either side. It seems like the brace is moving the fork tubes either together or apart slightly as it is tightened. I've ridden with it, and the extra stiction is noticeable, but I did find the high speed stability felt a lot better, so I think I'll persevere. I'm thinking I need to measure my fork tube spacing carefully and then massage the brace with a file to match that. Any other suggestions?

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Measure carefully. I would guess just a few thousands of an inch would cause the stiction you mentioned. I would use a set of calipers, dial or "very nears".

Bike
2010 ST1300
I wonder if anyone has any tips on installing the MCL fork brace on my 1990 ST11? I followed the vague instructions supplied and it fits in place OK, but if I tighten both sides I get stiction. If I tighten just one side and leave the other loose, it's fine, for either side. It seems like the brace is moving the fork tubes either together or apart slightly as it is tightened. I've ridden with it, and the extra stiction is noticeable, but I did find the high speed stability felt a lot better, so I think I'll persevere. I'm thinking I need to measure my fork tube spacing carefully and then massage the brace with a file to match that. Any other suggestions?
Maybe try this: Install your mcl fork brace, then loosen the axle bolts and go through the procedure that is done when reinstalling the front wheel - tighten axle nut, bounce the front end, tighten axle clamp bolts (see shop manual for complete procedure). If this does not improve matters, pull the brace, repeat the front wheel procedure and you are back where you started.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks SMSW; I did try a version of that before posting, loosening the left axle clamp before tightening the MCL brace, bouncing the forks, and then re-tightening the clamp.

One thing I've not tried is to see if the clamping portions behave differently when swapped from side to side. Maybe this evening.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have tried and tried to get the MCL brace to fit nicely, but without much success. Best results were from fitting the brace, then loosening the axle clamps/bolt, bouncing the forks and re-tightening, but I still get more stiction that I should. It is very noticeable cornering fast on rough roads, where the fork is unable to smoothly follow the bumps as it should, resulting in reduced stability. At this point I'm more inclined to stick the brace on a shelf than on the bike.

Top Bottom