Has anyone tested the ST1300 A.B.S????

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
My question re the ABS models is 'How do you know it's working without trying to lock up the tires?'. How fool proof is the ABS system and how much maintenance does it need to ensure that it is working as intended? How often does it break or seize up and how would you know? I have seen lots of input on dragging brakes, SMC's and the like. How many ABS bikes are rolling without functioning ABS? Is the system foolproof?
Well, nothing is foolproof because they always manage to invent a better fool. :) It's reasonably foolproof in that you'll know the system isn't functioning if the ABS light doesn't turn on when you start the bike or if it stays on after you start rolling. If one of those happens, there's a fault and you have no ABS. Part of the check done at startup includes moving the pistons in the modulators through a full cycle and making sure the position sensors are working, so if the computer is happy, you should be confident that it will do its job.

The system itself doesn't need any maintenance other than what you'd do to maintain the brakes. It's also really not very complex, either. The modulators just have pistons that increase or decrease the volume of a chamber that's inserted along the brake lines, and that's what allows it to modulate the pressure. Other than the wheel speed and piston position sensors, that's pretty much all there is to it. The newer, electronically-controlled systems are even simpler and give you the benefits of linked brakes without the additional plumbing.

The SMC-related problems are an artifact of the brakes being linked, so both ABS and non-ABS bikes can have them.

--Mark

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Thanks for a very thorough answer Mark. I didn't know the system cycled on startup and it does seem reassuringly reliable. I think I will likely be prioritising ABS on my next ST.
Just need to wear this one out first :)

Well, nothing is foolproof because they always manage to invent a better fool. :) It's reasonably foolproof in that you'll know the system isn't functioning if the ABS light doesn't turn on when you start the bike or if it stays on after you start rolling. If one of those happens, there's a fault and you have no ABS. Part of the check done at startup includes moving the pistons in the modulators through a full cycle and making sure the position sensors are working, so if the computer is happy, you should be confident that it will do its job.

The system itself doesn't need any maintenance other than what you'd do to maintain the brakes. It's also really not very complex, either. The modulators just have pistons that increase or decrease the volume of a chamber that's inserted along the brake lines, and that's what allows it to modulate the pressure. Other than the wheel speed and piston position sensors, that's pretty much all there is to it. The newer, electronically-controlled systems are even simpler and give you the benefits of linked brakes without the additional plumbing.

The SMC-related problems are an artifact of the brakes being linked, so both ABS and non-ABS bikes can have them.

--Mark

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Maybe we should take greater care - after all aren't all squirrels attracted to the nuts ??

Thank you,
-Elliot

Bike
05 St1300
I do wish that some of the ABS mythology would be cleared up. ABS systems on passenger cars do not shorten stopping distances. Safety is better because stability and control are maintained. BUT, if you need to stop short, you will run out of room (and into the back of the next guy) sooner.
I have driven 3/4 ton pick-up trucks for work the last 30 years. Close to 700,000 miles in city traffic. I've had 2 minor rear end collisions and one major. In all three, I could have stopped sooner if the brakes didn't go to ABS cycling and releasing pressure. Every cycle of the pump was another 5 to 10 feet of stopping distance. All of the collisions were in late model trucks with ABS. The first 3 trucks didn't have this wonderful feature and I never hit another vehicle.

I really don't want an ABS equipped motorcycle. It maybe out of my control...thanks to your favorite insurance companies!

Last edited:
Top Bottom