Has anyone tested the ST1300 A.B.S????

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I believe I experienced this for the first time last week on dry pavement. I was on an exit ramp from one divided highway to another at about 60mph. Following a VW Passat at safe distance when I noticed her unexpectedly slowing down. As I began applying the brakes she suddenly slammed on her brakes to avoid hitting a squirrel trying to cross the road (Nearly caused a wreck to save a squirrel). As I continued to apply more pressure to the front brake lever and rear brake pedal I experienced something unusual at the point where I expected one wheel or the other to lock up. I felt a single slight thump in the brake lever and though I continued to apply more pressure the tires did not lock and the bike continued to brake very quickly and very controlled. Does the A.B.S. on the bike work similar to an Automotive ABS. Playing around with my Honda Accord on various surfaces I have invoked the ABS many times. I delivers a hydraulic pulse to the brake pedal when it's activated. Just wondering if this is normal ABS for the bike. I haven't had the guts to intentionally test it out for sure for fear of the SPLAT sound I would make if something locked up.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have tested mine on a closed course where the pavement was soaked by fire hose etc.
60-70mph, held tank with knees and GRABBED both brakes! Each time, bike came to a sudden, but controlled stop, with no wheel lock up.
I trust 'em.
Igofar

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

Rodneypieon

Rodney
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Tested it on wet and dry roads and wet roads that were interlocking pavers. No lock up under any conditions and we were grabbing a handful as it was a test bike fro.m Honda for the police wanting to transition to the 1300.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I test mine once in a while coming down the hill from work. Sometimes there is left over sand on the road from my sanding truck and I'll hit the brakes front or rear to see what happens. The first time I did it like 3 years ago, the front tire started to skid for a nano second and then released and then came to a stop without slipping. needless to say I was more than impressed. I've done it with the rear wheel as well and same thing happened. I love the ABS brakes!

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I ride some gravel roads here and abs shuts down hard with out slipping a wheel. Now ice is a different story, it won't lockup the wheels but it won't stop you either. Been there done that.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I guess the first generation ABS on the ST1100s (prior to the 1996 MY) are the recirculating type as my '93 had very distinct pulsing when activated. On my '05 ST1300 it feels more like a fine ratchet slipping with no real pulsing at all.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Tested mine couple days ago on a gravel road--when I stomped the pedal hard enough to lock up, I think I felt one strong pulse and then nothing, no lock-up. I got back up to speed and mashed the lever hard enough to throw me over the handlebars, or maybe not, since I'm a little bit squeamish around blood, and I don't think I felt any pulse, but there was no lock-up either. Not sure how the linking would affect it.

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
how important is ABS on these bikes? I found a great deal on bike but no ABS brakes :(
IMHO ABS is important for riders that would hesitate to practice a full emergency stop at normal riding speeds with pillion rider. If you don't hear the front tire chirping during practice you are not stopping fast enough. One caveat emptor, practice your braking at slower speeds initially. After wrenching for several weeks on another vehicle, I almost crashed the bike by practicing an emergency stop (without ABS).

The one disadvantage to ABS/TCS linked brakes is its complexity. I am glad that I got an ST without ABS initially because its hard enough to maintain the regular braking system, but now that I am over that hurdle, I wouldn't hesitate to get a bike with ABS and I would test its capabilities frequently.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
how important is ABS on these bikes? I found a great deal on bike but no ABS brakes :(
Millions of miles are rode every year on bikes without ABS. We are still here.... ;)

Would be nice, but not a requirement. When I last shopped for a bike I had a short list of wanna-haves. Found a bike that had 4 of the 6 and was a great deal. Bought! No regrets!

Thanks guys, I had a scare a few years ago and told myself i'd never buy another bike without ABS. having said that since then I don't think the ABS has ever even come on.. I can't recall a time! lol

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think the real advantage to ABS brakes may be more obvious when wet or marginal traction conditions exist. On dry surfaces I believe I'm prepared for an emergency stop ABS or not. Based on past experiences with other bikes in the wet without ABS an emergency stop usually resulted in me sliding down the road without the bike. ABS can modulate the brakes much faster than I. ABS for me.

Bike
ST1300
I have an 05 without ABS. It does sound attractive. What does the ABS do better or worse on turns, when the tire is running closer to the side? Seems like it would be more valuable.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I had my 08 in full ABS braking from 70 mph and it brought me to 30 in seconds to miss a truck that pulled in front of me. Sold me on it...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I ride some gravel roads here and abs shuts down hard with out slipping a wheel. Now ice is a different story, it won't lockup the wheels but it won't stop you either. Been there done that.
The Dan makes an interesting point about ABS and ice. ABS is not magic. It is a friction management system - but if there is no friction to manage, then you will not stop.

The coefficient of friction on ice is darned low (if it s also wet then it's near enough to zero) and that is why an ABS equipped vehicle has a hard time on ice - just like a non-ABS vehicle. But of course, no sane person would ride big bike on ice - so the point is moot.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I love the idea of ABS and appreciate the value .... need it just once and you've saved your bacon! Given a choice I would opt for ABS but could not refuse my non ABS 04 when the opportunity presented itself. However, I own an older Savana and the ABS (especially on ice and snow) is pathetic. Can't stop OR steer ...so I pulled the fuse and ride the brakes like in the old days.

My question re the ABS models is 'How do you know it's working without trying to lock up the tires?'. How fool proof is the ABS system and how much maintenance does it need to ensure that it is working as intended? How often does it break or seize up and how would you know? I have seen lots of input on dragging brakes, SMC's and the like. How many ABS bikes are rolling without functioning ABS? Is the system foolproof?

Top Bottom