Deer Hunting with the ST

Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
It's been a long time I posted anything on this site, but thought I'd give the credit to the ST1300A for keeping me safe and getting me home on my last LD ride. Anyways, was riding from STL to Moab and had rerouted to avoid snow in the higher passes, generally enjoying the ride. Then an overly friendly Buck decided to great me at a full sprint. The deer ended up getting put down by the local LEO, the bike lost most all it's plastic from the front down the left side, but it's rock solid ride kept me upright and unhurt. After duct taping the remaining plastics together and reattaching the radiator hose, I was able to ride her the 940 miles back home. :bow1:

What a great bike and will be interested to see what the insurance adjuster offers to get it fixed up as it only has 41K on the odometer and I'd hate to put her down prematurely.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
:duck:Not the preferred way to tag a buck, but whatever works for ya! Seriously though, good to see you were able to finish your ride and you were uninjured.

Going to get the trophy mounted?

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Wow !!!!! Glad you are OK! Props to Honda as well:bow1:.

Hope the adjuster takes good care of you. Glad you made it home OK too.

ToddC

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A friend's ST has taken out three deer. His plastics have taken a beating but he stayed upright and moving all three times. At least two of the deer: not so much.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Good to hear you are all right. I lost an 07 this spring to the same thing. Though mine was not rideable after the fact it still kept me safe and was able to ride another day. Well ok it took 7 days to get another bike.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Sorry this happened to you- I hate driving sometimes because you know they're out there, just waiting...
When I lived in NJ, they would always be seen next to the highway (the Atlantic City Expressway)- no highway barrier next to the roadway and it would be pretty startling to see them at the roadside. I hope your bike can be made whole again. Glad you (apparently) didn't get hurt.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Reason to ride an ST and not the scooter, keeping things up. :D

No venison steaks coming home?

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Reason to ride an ST and not the scooter, keeping things up. :D

No venison steaks coming home?
That would have been a lot of meat, but it would have been a pretty funny sight to have taped it's rather large rack to he front of the bike for the ride home as a trophy (I'll just have to settle for a deer head sticker on the gas tank to count my kills).

Bike
R1200rt
How many points ??? Did anyone tell you that you were eligible for the meat? Someone is eating well thanks to you..

Bike
2003 ST1300
A hit a sparrow once at about 45 mph, but don't worry about me, I'm fine.

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
The adjuster just got done with the bike, over $7,000 to put it back together, yikes, so they totaled it. A sad day for me, now I need to see if I get another ST or modernize to another brand.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
The adjuster just got done with the bike, over $7,000 to put it back together, yikes, so they totaled it. A sad day for me, now I need to see if I get another ST
I'm sure the insurance is not paying ya for the farkles... save for future use or sale.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
How much to buy back? Rebuild it yourself and save the $$$ for the replacement plastic.

There are way too many ST1300s being pout down due to the plastic! I've rebuilt three of them myself after my first '05 almost got totalled and I had a "shop" put it back together. After that experience, I figured I could do a better job than the shop. and I proved it with the other three!

You can check out my website for my rebuilds!

My Motorcycles

The first one on my page is my 2012, the only one of the ST1300s that haven't been busted up. The '05 was my first ST1300, and it was wrecked/restored back in 2008.
The 2010,and both '04s have been restored by me.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
SupraSabre,

Several other people had mentioned I should check into how much it'll cost for a buy back as well, you have me thinking. My question is, where did you go to get your plastic panels & other parts as it' seems like the OEM prices are pretty high?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
SupraSabre,

Several other people had mentioned I should check into how much it'll cost for a buy back as well, you have me thinking. My question is, where did you go to get your plastic panels & other parts as it' seems like the OEM prices are pretty high?
No comment on the plastic but check the buy back price. At $7k to repair, most salvage yards won't give the insurance company much for that, so you might be able to get it cheap, i.e. <$1k. When I totaled my ST1100, the buy back was only $250. I paid that and kept the bike for spare parts, since I replaced with a nearly identical model.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Buy back on my '04 in 2012 was $1500 from Allstate. Not worth it in my opinion at the time. Didn't have the room or desire to do a rebuild. I offered it up for sale to the St_Owners, no one wanted it except for somebody asking I get title to them so it can ship overseas. I told 'em title comes when the cash is in my hand, so they never bought it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you nailed a big buck, was there any other damage to the bike beyond the tupperware? Forks? Front windshield area subframe (the struts that hold the plastic up front)? Radiator damage (radiator hose came off, you said). Wheel, front brake parts? All this other stuff only shows up under close examination - you might have missed it up until a thorough evaluation.

An 08 is a reasonably young bike, and its the nicest color, isn't it? (Red). Someone is painting his bike's tupperware now for $1500 to 2K (wheels too) - another thread - so factor that in if you buy used plastic.

OP
OP
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
Just got my settlement amount from Geico, it was very fair. What they did tell me, which was of interest is that they do not offer a retention (e.g. buyback), so I'll be shopping for a new bike, it'll be very tempting to go for a later year ST again, but those BMW's might cause me to go in another direction.

Also, as SMSW said, I have not done a close inspection and there could be more damage as the windscreen was broken and carriage mechanism for it was smashed-in as well, so at this point I will not complain and just feel lucky. I'm sure those right side red panels (undamaged ones) will make it on the market somewhere sometime.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Fork brace? Highway wings? Tip-over bars? Gear indicator? Front fender extension?

I'll buy the fork brace.

Top Bottom