1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Gerbings are #1 in my books
Also get the dual controller
Wider are #2
Also get the controller
I own both brands and controllers
I also have Hondaline heated grips. Man do they ever get hot.
After you get your favourite gloves/grips, get a heated vest that will plug into your controller, I've got 2 vests in case one of them breaks down.

Also, get the same for your wife if you want her to ride with you. Happy Wife, Happy Ride.

I ride year round.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I use the Warm-n-Safe. Only ones left on the market thst come with a lifetime warranty I do believe. Discount available to St-Owners too.

Like Al said, get a dual controller and a matching vest.

If temperature is going to be seriously dipping into the cold zone you will also need heated grips. The gloves keep the backside of the hand and fingers warm but they do not have heating elements in the palm.

Plus I always like to have the heated grips in case I am out riding and the temperature drops. If you forgot the gloves you have very chilly hands, the grips are always there and always ready to warm your blood up a little bit.

I use the Symtec grip heaters. Very cost effective.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have Gerbing and Widder heated gear and Symtec grip heaters. Gloves tend to keep the back of your hands warm, grips tend warm the palms. Given the changes in Gerbing's ownership and changes in their 'policies', my next heated gear will probably be WarmNSafe if I need anything.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Grips or heaters? Well, yes! Being from a predominantly warm climate I prefer lighter weight gloves and having grip heaters helps extend the comfortable riding time that light to mid weight gloves work for me. When it's a bit colder than that to very cold heated gloves take over with heating elements in what are still relatively light supple gloves that work buttons and touch screens well. Symtech grip heaters work well for me. My electric stuff is Gerbing.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I use both heated grips and heated gloves, I have gerbing but like Uncle Phil said given all the changes I will definitely buy Warm n Safe, if fact I just bought my wife heated pants from warm n safe and she loves them!

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have Gerbings heated gloves and love them also heated grips and as has already been said I will buy Warm N Safe from now on.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Have not needed heated gloves yet, my heated grips seem to do a good job and the fairing with Honda's wind deflector option cuts down on the wind blast. Coldest I have encountered on the bike so far was mid to high 30's and only for about an hour. Just bought a W n S heated jacket and I love it. My shoulders and upper arms get cold in the wind and this jacket cures that.

Btw, I really studied the W n Safe website before I bought the set, and realized after the gear arrived how I had not asked the right questions. Where will you want to mount/carry the controller? How long are the wires? How are you going to power the system? Where will you route the wires? Where does the jacket/vest/pants have its power lead and how long is it? How does said power lead exit your Aerostitch/Riding Jacket/Pants?

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have used only Gerbing heated gloves for the last 9 years. Been riding in below zero*F temps almost every year during that time. Never felt the need for heated grips. Originally considered them but decided at the coldest temps my palm might be sweating but the back of my knuckles would be frozen so went with the gloves. Never had a problem with cold palms even at -15*F. Still had very warm hands at that temp. Also no problem with operating my Garmin GPS during that trip and I have the classic Gerbing gloves (original version). I also don't have any other heated gear and keep warm with a few well designed layers. Maybe when I'm old I'll reconsider getting a heated vest and pant liner (61 now).

I may have to reconsider what brand I replace these with given the changes that have happened at Gerbing and the improvements with other brands such as Warm & Safe. So far they are working fine. Only replaced one controller so far in 9 years.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Just want to add that I prefer a heated jacket over a vest, and as someone stated it is your arms that get cold.
I would also have heated gloves over heated grips.
Gerbing is what I have, and have been on many rides in the teens and 20's

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Grips are nice because you can't leave them at home and they go on whenever you want to warm up your hands. Gloves are better when it's really cold. Both together are better when it's frickin' cold!

I have and really like the Warm n' Safe all leather gloves. (These: http://www.warmnsafe.com/the-rider-classic-style-mens-heated-gloves/ ) Remember to request your ST-O discount. Also get a controller to dial in your desired level of heat. Your hands will incinerate on constant full power. I have an older jacket liner but newer ones have plugs for the gloves, which adds convenience. You'll need a dual controller so you can adjust heat for the jacket liner and gloves independently.

Heat adds weeks or months to your riding season in the North and can add comfort most of the year.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
This morning was a perfect example of the need for both.

Left the house at 55? wearing my summer (half mesh) gloves. Probably shoudl have gotten the full leather gloves out, but didn't, felt fine. After 25 miles on the highway and getting into the river valley it started to take it's toll, fingers were getting sore as they were getting cold. Put the grip heater on a low setting, got the blood flowing, felt fine. 20 minutes later, off the highay and at the slower speed didn't need the heater. Going home tonight in the 70?s I will like the mesh gloves and not need the heater. But the grip heater is there at the ready.

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Oxford heated gloves. Quite warm but clumsy. Just lost them.....
Bought them because I thought installing hot grips was difficult..
Just bought the Oxford premium hotgrips. Easy install direct to the battery, with a controller supposed to be intelligent enough to turn the grips off if you forget....haven't tried that.
The grips on full get very very hot!
Stu

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Same with what most have already said.
Grips and gloves.
The dual controller for the liner and gloves comes in handy. I tend to crank the gloves more than the liner even with the grips on when it's winter.

The dual star or symtec foil elements work well. I just floated the oem grips off with an air compressor. Stuck the foil elements on the bar/throttle sleeve and slid some BMW grips with some hair spray as a lube/glue to get em on. iirc the grips are something like 3amps no big load.

Last edited:
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I have the gloves Bones linked. I had a pair or two before these as well as a few different wiring harnesses, and a dual controller. Current stuff is warm-N-safe.
I made my own heated fleece "liner" that I wear when it's getting into the 30's but to be honest I rarely turn it on, the gloves get used almost every day once I put the controller back on the bike.
I ride year round unless there is snow buildup on the road, and then I've also been stuck riding in that.
I think my first heated stuff, gloves, was back in 2003 or there about and I wouldn't go without them after the first day of use.

I've had my current gloves (linked by Bones) for three + years now and they are still working.

most riders get heated grips first....and most of 'em don't bother going any farther. ... I have heated grips and glove liner (elements on the back of the hands n fingers)....haven't needed the liners in over 6years now. your mileage may vary

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought my first pair of heated gloves, Synergy, back around 2007 and then bought a Synergy liner a few weeks later. Yeah, who would have thought you would need a heated liner or gloves in SoCal, but since temps in Winter get below 40F for several months out of the year, it's really nice having them.

After burning through several Synergy controllers, I rewired the liner to accept a Warm'n'Safe dual cordless controller. I control my liner and gloves with the cordless through a dual corded controller which is also attach to my heated saddle. Sometimes the cordless controller doesn't always shut off the heat, even though it says it does, so with the corded controller, I have better control and I'm able to heat three separate things that way! :)

STOC #
I have the Warm n' Safe all leather gloves and jacket liner.. The gloves are good except they are a PITA getting on. Too big to comfortably put under my motoport mesh jacket and too small to fit over the jacket.

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Warm-n-Safe here for 6 years and still work great. Tie into the liner and use the wireless Heat Troller. Very happy. Not cheap though.

Top Bottom