Kaoko Throttle lock?

Bike
2012 ST1300
So...Has anyone installed a throttle lock from Kaoko? It appears to be a product that installs easily, looks OEM, and operates as described. What's up wit that?

Bike
2007 ST1300
I put one on mine a few years back and use it every ride. I can increase the tension a bit to even out the throttle so it's not so jerky.

Thousands of miles so far without a hitch.

Love it.

Dennis

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm happy with mine but it's no replacement for electronic cruise in my mind.
To be fair a throttle lock and cruise control are two different categories of devices designed to do two different jobs. I've had cruise control in my last three cars and almost never used/use it. I've used Vista Cruise throttle locks a lot. Depending on what you want to do a throttle lock is usually cheaper and easier to install.

I've never had the desire for electronic cruise control. If I bought a new bike with factory cruise control I'd probably use it. Otherwise I'd be completely happy with me kind of throttle lock. I have a Go Cruise. Not as slick as the Kaoko but I'm very happy with it.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I've been using one for quite some time now. Installation was fairly easy; the hardest part was removing the OEM bar end weight. (Clamp a pair of vise grips to the bold, and whack it a few times with a mallet...)

The Kaoko uses a cog wheel to engage; I think it's easier than the Throttlemeister.

Not cheap, but it is very good quality, and works as it should.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Metal or plastic one?
Mine is metal. I got it because it was on sale at the San Mateo Motorcycle show. I didn't know there was a plastic option but would have preferred the slight heft of the metal anyway. No idea about the functionality of one over the other.

OP
OP
Freelancer
Bike
2012 ST1300
Thanks for the input. I can't get it to operate with one hand as shown in the video, but it is effective. Basically, for me it's a wrist rest on road trips.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Thanks for the input. I can't get it to operate with one hand as shown in the video, but it is effective. Basically, for me it's a wrist rest on road trips.
I agree, it seems as though the amount you would need to rotate it would be much more than the amount of throttle rotation. So, I adjust it to where it will hold the position and leave it like that all the time. Constant tension.

Dennis

Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
I've got both VistaCruise and a Kaoko throttle lock. And a throttle rocker. Is that weird?? I only use the VistaCruise, much quicker to use.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm tempted to try a Vista Cruise on the ST. I like it on my other bikes. I do use a Cramp Buster on both bars. Resting your hands and relaxing your fingers on a longish ride is makes a big improvement in comfort.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I've always had Throttlemeister's on the 1100s, the short ones and the long type. I prefer the long/larger ones.

The '04 came with a Vista Cruise. It works and I'm getting used to it.
The Kaoko looks like a well made unit too.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I agree, it seems as though the amount you would need to rotate it would be much more than the amount of throttle rotation. So, I adjust it to where it will hold the position and leave it like that all the time. Constant tension.

Dennis
I wouldn't be comfortable leaving the throttle with constant tension. I know that I intentionally dial the throttle down when I want less and don't just release the throttle and allow spring tension to take over, but having that spring return available is something I'm very conditioned to. Probably too conditioned to.

I do have the Vista Cruise throttle lock which required a bit of fiddling to fit, but it works well now. Just flip it on or off.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I wouldn't be comfortable leaving the throttle with constant tension. I know that I intentionally dial the throttle down when I want less and don't just release the throttle and allow spring tension to take over, but having that spring return available is something I'm very conditioned to. Probably too conditioned to.
I've been riding with it like that for so long that I'm used to manually returning the throttle. I've been riding since I was a wee lad and it didn't take anything to get familiar with this setup. And I understand that it wouldn't be comfortable for every rider.

Dennis

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I ordered one from RevZilla only to have them rebate my money and tell me it was no longer available. I went with a ThrottleMeister, which is the same principle (minus the ultra-cool notched ring). It took less than 30 minutes to install and properly adjust. While certainly not a replacement for cruise control, it does an admirable job of letting me reposition my right arm & wrist and let me stretch about the bike. I believe a forum member is selling a Throttlemeister in the For Sale forum......

Top Bottom