Has this happened to you?

Bike
07 ST1300A
The other day, I get back home from work and pull my ST1300 into the garage. I flip the side stand down and let my steed lean gently on to the left side. After dismounting, I reach out to undo my helmet straps, but find that the D rings are not where I expect them to be :confused: . It was then that I realized that I never strapped the helmet on. Time for an indicator on the dashboard like the seat belt indicators on cars?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes I have done this too but I noticed the loose strap a few minutes after starting out.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Yep, happened to me, too. Just make a routine or a better mental note to check it every time.

John STeele
Peace and All Good

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Me too... get that cold sweaty feeling after realizing my head wasn't secure! Need a red flag that clips to the D rings that needs removing prior to departure.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I don't recall ever doing that, but a few weeks ago I rode the bike a block or two from home and realized that I had neglected to put my glasses back on after donning my helmet. Fortunately, I had locked them in the top case.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
It has happened to me two or three times. Usually when I've been distracted while put it on.

lti_57

Above the center of the Earth
Bike
95 ST 1100
it has to me long ago its good to have a routine, at least for me .
helmet on and secured
get on bike raise of side stand
kick side stand up
start bike
gloves on

you know the rest.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Yep, happened to me, too. Just make a routine or a better mental note to check it every time.

John STeele
Peace and All Good
x1, but it is when the routine isn't followed ( like having to chase the dog back in the house) that I get out of whack ! You're NOT alone

Bike
Vstrom 650
Has happened a few times, copped on after a mile or so and pulled in an fixed it,I switched from a modular to a full face D ring helmet, feel safer in the full face.

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Happened to me for the very first time on Sunday's ride. I had stopped to fiddle with something- I forget now even what, and for whatever reason undid the chin strap but never took the helmet off- just flipped the chin bar up on my modular helmet. (I think.) Flopped the chin bar back down and took off after I finished whatever it was that I was about. About ten seconds after I got going I realized the situation and pulled over to take care of it.

As everyone else has said- it's all about the routine. Get away from your habits and strange things are likely to happen.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, at least you didn't make it home and realized you forgot your motorcycle! :rofl1:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've done it a couple of times with my old full face helmets and once with my modular but I've found out within a few feet of starting out.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Not with the D-ring system on the Shoei... I never detach them, just pull out to the limiter and hold it with both thumbs to get it over nose and chin when handling the helmet...

Those click-buckle types are a different issue...
Years ago I forgot to do the chinstrap on my GPA ISR helmet (a unique modular design) before leaving a motorway rest area...
Out in 3rd lane, doing like +90mph drag and airflow suddenly cause the helmet to rise, pulling it off... and no way to pull over...
Somehow managed to fumble the two dangling parts together with my left hand (took ages though, very distracting...), of course not without managing getting the skin on my throat caught between the metal parts... argh!! The pain even more distracting, quickly un-clip and do the whole thing all over again... :mad:

That incident taught me though, I now have a routine on checking all closures, jacket, pockets chinstrap, etc... before take-off... just like with scuba gear before jumping in.

v8-7

Site Supporter
I started down my driveway a few days ago and realized I didn't even have my helmet on !

Bike
Vstrom 650
I rode away one time on the vfr and forgot to zip up the tank bag, within a quarter mile most of the contents blew all over the road, lucky the road was quite and I managed to stop and find everything ok,taught me a lesson though, as has been said I check everything now by routine. a small thing could cause an accident.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I did it a couple of times with my Shoei, when I got up to highway speed I could feel the D rings hitting my throat. My current helmet has a ratchet closing system and I don't think that have failed to close it. I often see Harley rider with half helmets that have the straps hanging down around town.

Gerhard

Top Bottom