Delkevic exhaust

Bike
2005 st1300
Are those 14" or 18" del's ?? I have the 18" del's and bought them lightly used for a great price,, just to give them a try. These are the things I like about them. Price. Weight is a bit less. Power,, is a bit more. Heat is a bit less, due to no catalytic's. Sound is decent,,, but then I use the newer long baffles,, and I wear pro-form earplugs. Looks,,, they look pretty good. Quality,,, seems decent. If money was no object,, I would test the 2-brothers product. Although I didn't mind the oem exhaust,,, but my Del's are just enough better in each way to warrant the change,,, cheers,, CAt'
I am in the same camp as CAt. I also picked mine up used in mint condition for what I thought was cheap. I really like the looks and also the weight savings, and the reduction in heat that many had said I would realize. They delivered on all three points. As far as the sound, they sound all right, but I was perfectly happy with the sound of the stock pipes. I wouldn't have paid a dime just to change the sound. Last year I found the pipes a little bit loud taking off or running around town, but once out on the highway, I barely even noticed. Now, this year I have a new, quieter helmet and I have switched from helmet speakers to earbuds which obviously act as ear plugs to outside noise. With some light music playing, I don't even hear the pipes now. I have thought about the newer, quieter baffles that CAt speaks of only because I don't want to irritate others around me. Maybe sometime we can meet up in our travels Alan and I'll have a listen to those baffles and see how much difference they make

I received my delkevics yesterday, well made and easy to fit plus I really liked the looks. Sadly even with baffles in place it’s to much of a Loud drone :( , it reverberates when wearing a helmet. Will have to list them on eBay and refit the originals. Perhaps at 54 yrs old it was a daft idea to begin with !.CB47AD45-1CA0-4FF7-80EB-FC16616FE7C1.jpeg93CA6609-79C4-48AD-B6E7-C2FA99E336CB.jpeg

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
The tip design is bit different on yours than it is on my 18" ovals. Question,,, do you wear earplugs ?? When I first installed my Del's,,,, I didn't like the tone at anything below 3000rpm. Above 3k they were fine. Then I popped in my earplugs (which are more accurately "sound filters"),,, and suddenly the Del's sounded great at all engine speeds. Now I freely admit that I only care what my bike sounds like to me,,, and not to anyone else. So if you haven't already,,, you might want to test them again,,, using a decent pair of earplugs,,, before you give up on them. Just a thought,,, cheers,, CAt'

The tip design is bit different on yours than it is on my 18" ovals. Question,,, do you wear earplugs ?? When I first installed my Del's,,,, I didn't like the tone at anything below 3000rpm. Above 3k they were fine. Then I popped in my earplugs (which are more accurately "sound filters"),,, and suddenly the Del's sounded great at all engine speeds. Now I freely admit that I only care what my bike sounds like to me,,, and not to anyone else. So if you haven't already,,, you might want to test them again,,, using a decent pair of earplugs,,, before you give up on them. Just a thought,,, cheers,, CAt'
Hi, no I haven’t tried earplugs with them yet. I struggle with plugs and as most of our trips are short and not motorway related plus we don’t ride fast I rarely bother. They are supposed to be road legal in the UK with baffles in place but having had many different bikes years ago with 4 into 1 race pipes this does seem loud!.
We often chatter via intercom when we’re riding and I think it’s going to interfere with that.
Also I’m not sure if it’s altered the throttle response, my 1300 was never great with the on/off and surging, I’ve had a turbo Tom pressure regulator, FCE and ended up going back to stock parts but loosing the O2 sensors and that’s where I’ve been for a couple of years.
Ive never been sure if the Fi is capable of self adjusting the fuelling foe things like air filters or exhausts etc.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Ive never been sure if the Fi is capable of self adjusting the fuelling foe things like air filters or exhausts etc.
My bike is pretty stock,, engine wise,,, except for the Del's. My FI certainly should adjust the mixture,, and I did not have any performance problems. In fact,,, the bike seemed to pull noticeably stronger through the mid-range. I guess I am a pretty spirited rider,, and would miss that extra torque now. I think after-burn is about the same,, but deeper in tone and a bit less muffled than with the oem cans. I don't have any surging. I am pretty sure,, that if your o2 sensors are disabled,,, there is no way the ecu/fi can compensate for the reduced back pressure that the Del's would create. Hence you may have a leaner mixture, more heat,, and more surging. Or not. Hard to say.

On the topic of earplugs,,, most touring riders who find a good comfortable set, never ride without them again. I have a custom molded set that is left over from my days in industry. They only filter out the wind noise and engine sounds that you don't want. I still hear everything else fine,,, like intercom, gps,, music,, engine/exhaust tones. It is just a lot less fatigue,,, and saves your hearing as well. Cheers, CAt'

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
I received my delkevics yesterday, well made and easy to fit plus I really liked the looks. Sadly even with baffles in place it’s to much of a Loud drone :( , it reverberates when wearing a helmet. Will have to list them on eBay and refit the originals. Perhaps at 54 yrs old it was a daft idea to begin with !.CB47AD45-1CA0-4FF7-80EB-FC16616FE7C1.jpeg93CA6609-79C4-48AD-B6E7-C2FA99E336CB.jpeg
The Delkevics look great, perfect with the colour scheme, hopefully the droning gets worked out.

My bike is pretty stock,, engine wise,,, except for the Del's. My FI certainly should adjust the mixture,, and I did not have any performance problems. In fact,,, the bike seemed to pull noticeably stronger through the mid-range. I guess I am a pretty spirited rider,, and would miss that extra torque now. I think after-burn is about the same,, but deeper in tone and a bit less muffled than with the oem cans. I don't have any surging. I am pretty sure,, that if your o2 sensors are disabled,,, there is no way the ecu/fi can compensate for the reduced back pressure that the Del's would create. Hence you may have a leaner mixture, more heat,, and more surging. Or not. Hard to say.

On the topic of earplugs,,, most touring riders who find a good comfortable set, never ride without them again. I have a custom molded set that is left over from my days in industry. They only filter out the wind noise and engine sounds that you don't want. I still hear everything else fine,,, like intercom, gps,, music,, engine/exhaust tones. It is just a lot less fatigue,,, and saves your hearing as well. Cheers, CAt'
I know it sounds mad but I disabled the O2 sensors (using that eBay kit) to try and eliminate the hesitant throttle and surging on constant throttle. It did work hence my standard fuel pressure regulator installed. Funny thing is every so often no matter what the mod it does go into a fit of woolly response and it’s very annoying and It did this yesterday with the delks, however today it seemed to clear and behave again. This time I tried my ear plugs and with better results, infact I ended up really enjoying the whole thing!, roll on a handful of throttle in top gear and it becomes addictive .
so I’m going to take the wife out again tomorrow and see where we are, I did get a response from joe at delkevic today saying they sell a longer baffle that fits straight in and cut a couple of dbs, £30 the pair so I may try those if I keep them.

im sure the bike runs cooler and after a few minutes rest you can touch the pipes without leaving your skin on them !.

im sure there’s threads on hear regarding fuelling and O2 removal but there’s differing opinions I think on what it does .

cheers
martin.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I did get a response from joe at delkevic today saying they sell a longer baffle that fits straight in
I have the new longer baffles,,, and I prefer them to the original shorties. I think you will too. One thing to remember,,,, re-check the baffle retaining screw 3 or 4 times,,, and do it hot. I lost one of my short baffles,,, and that is how I came to have the longer set. Sounds like you are on track,,, cheers,, CAt'

I have the new longer baffles,,, and I prefer them to the original shorties. I think you will too. One thing to remember,,,, re-check the baffle retaining screw 3 or 4 times,,, and do it hot. I lost one of my short baffles,,, and that is how I came to have the longer set. Sounds like you are on track,,, cheers,, CAt'
Thanks for the tip!, I might use some locktite on the Allen bolt. That’s interesting and encouraging you prefer the longer baffles, I think they are slightly different than the ones for the oval cans ?. Joe did also say if I went for the 350/450mm oval cans they are a little quieter anyway but I just prefer these round ones. I’m glad I didn’t go with the stubby ones!.

This is the longer baffle for the cans I have. They fit in the front end of the can not at the tip, I guess they can’t slip out the back then.

cheers, Martin.

Well after another short trip out today with a pillion on board I am going to refit the standard exhausts, I just can’t live with the extra noise. It’s a real shame as I love the looks/ quality/fit/ no cats etc.
im told the other styles like the ovals are quieter, I cannot fault the company so far Despite short on staff due to these times and also its their busiest time of the year.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
No worries,,, be glad that you gave it a try. I can sympathize,,, because I typically feel that quiet power is elegant. And Honda long ago decided that the two most fatiquing factors for riders are noise and vibration. Sound is a very personal choice. And it is important that you choose what ever gives you the most enjoyment on the bike. Someone else will find your Del's desireable,, and then that will be the right choice for them. Enjoy and ride safe,,, cheers,, CAt'

No worries,,, be glad that you gave it a try. I can sympathize,,, because I typically feel that quiet power is elegant. And Honda long ago decided that the two most fatiquing factors for riders are noise and vibration. Sound is a very personal choice. And it is important that you choose what ever gives you the most enjoyment on the bike. Someone else will find your Del's desireable,, and then that will be the right choice for them. Enjoy and ride safe,,, cheers,, CAt'
Thanks!, a lot of the problem I think is my helmet, relatively new Shoei neotec 2, if I ride with the chin bar up or the visor open that resonance seems to disappear. Also I’ve had the pan since 2006 and although only done 25,000 mls in that time I have gotten used to it being just a whine !.
I will definitely miss the looks and the advantages though, Joe from delkevic wasn’t sure the 1 to 2db decrease that the longer baffle would give would be enough.

thanks for your reply’s along the way!.
Marrtin.

Thanks!, a lot of the problem I think is my helmet, relatively new Shoei neotec 2, if I ride with the chin bar up or the visor open that resonance seems to disappear. Also I’ve had the pan since 2006 and although only done 25,000 mls in that time I have gotten used to it being just a whine !.
I will definitely miss the looks and the advantages though, Joe from delkevic wasn’t sure the 1 to 2db decrease that the longer baffle would give would be enough.

thanks for your reply’s along the way!.
Marrtin.
Oooh so what will you do with the Delks please?

I have some 14" on my ST. Much lighter, but I had to wrap the baffles to get my low end torque back.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
About 500 miles ago I did a K & N, new tire and the pipes with baffles in, road conservatively waiting for the tire to catch up. Yesterday had a chance to stretch her legs, not what I expected. The cool sound and the popping were noticeable right away and was tolerable. When under hard acceleration I have to wind her all the way out and still notice an "underpowered" feeling. Has anyone else, and what can be done to rectify this? BTW, definitely a noticeable reduction in heat at a stop.

Top Bottom