Tip over cover bolt size

Bike
2006 ST1300
I tried searching, but couldn't find the answer. Both my bolts that secure the tip over bar covers had messed up threads the last time I took them off. Either that or the threads in the tip over bars are messed up...hope not. For the life of me, I can't find the bolts now to take to the hardware store to get the correct size. Can anyone tell me what size those bolts are? Thanks!

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Sounds like you might want to chase the threads on the tip over bar with the appropriate sized tap before trying to install a new bolt.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
When installing my Blades I found that the covers didn't line up easily causing the screws to not align properly. Part or all of that could be because the covers were modded for the Blades.

Even though they were seated correctly I had to press hard to get the covers screws and holes to line up so that the screws weren't cross threaded. They came out easily when removing the original covers.

OP
OP
amad
Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks everyone! I got some new bolts at the hardware store. Before putting them in, I am going to fix the threads with a tap tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
A common fix on the PD motors - who get dropped a lot - is to remove the bolts so the plastic does not bend the tab and damage the threads, and secure the cover to the crash bar with a black nylon tie, so they tear free and not damage the tab.
Once the tab is damaged it can cause pressure on the painted middle fairing and can crack it - big cost.

It looks like Cheap Cycle Parts.com is out of business. I checked the Better Business Bureau website and there are complaints from customers who say they paid for parts they never received.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thanks everyone! I got some new bolts at the hardware store. Before putting them in, I am going to fix the threads with a tap tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!
You were able to get shoulder bolts from a hardware store? The only places that carry them (besides Honda dealers) would be a big industrial giant like McMaster-Carr or Grainger. If you bought common bolts, you can make a shoulder bolt - sort of. I needed one for some mod so I dug around in my misc. copper tubing bin and found some odd lengths of copper tubing. I was lucky to have a piece that had an I.D. close to the O.D. of the bolt. I cut off a very short piece, filed away the burrs, and slipped the sleeve over the bolt - voila, a shoulder bolt. Well, until I remove it and lose that tiny piece of copper tubing.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
You were able to get shoulder bolts from a hardware store? The only places that carry them (besides Honda dealers) would be a big industrial giant like McMaster-Carr or Grainger. If you bought common bolts, you can make a shoulder bolt - sort of. I needed one for some mod so I dug around in my misc. copper tubing bin and found some odd lengths of copper tubing. I was lucky to have a piece that had an I.D. close to the O.D. of the bolt. I cut off a very short piece, filed away the burrs, and slipped the sleeve over the bolt - voila, a shoulder bolt. Well, until I remove it and lose that tiny piece of copper tubing.
Check.....Belmetric.com
I have found them to be a reliable fastener supplier....

Bike
'06 ST1300A
The shoulder on this particular fastener is large in comparison with the smaller shouldered bolts that hold the front part of the bottom skirts or the rear mud guard.
The only other bolt that has a similar shoulder is the bolt that joins the cowl to the middle cowl bolt. It’s longer (6x14) so there is no mistaken it.

Top Bottom