Swing Arm Question

Bike
05 St 1300 Hond
My U joint went this week on my 2006 ST 1300P at 50000 miles. I tore it apart and have the parts on order. This is a police model. I also have a 2005 and have done the U joint on it as part of regular maintenance at 100000 miles. I noticed the pivot bolts are different on the P model. There is no lock nut on the left side. The right side has a pivot bolt 2 1/4 " long and the left side is 3 1/4 " long. It uses the same u joint and swing arm bearings as the regular model. I have tried to find out what the tightening sequence is and torque value but none of the dealers seem to know. 16-20 of the SM deals with the regular model and there does not seem to be an addendum for this model. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what the tightening sequence and torque values are. Any info or direction where I might find this info is appreciated.

John

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow, they are different!

ST1300A A
2006ST1300A A.jpg

ST1300PA A
2006ST1300PA A.jpg

This is the first time I was aware of this!

Sorry, no suggestions....

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a 2003-2007 manual which includes a PA section. Page 27-61 thru 67 right side has initial torque of 20 N-m and second torque of 130 N-m then an adjustment. The left side shim has primary torque of 54 N-m and final torque of 34 N-m. Left side pivot bolt primary torque is 130 N-m. There is a procedure to follow right side then left. If you need a copy with the procedure PM me and I can email you the pages.

Last edited:

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Hi John, I also have the 03-07 SM with the PA addendum, you know where I live!

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
I have the 2002 model which had some re-torque procedure done to improve the High Speed Wobble issue. It's still there though. This post made me wonder why the swing-arm bolts on the P-version are different. Could it be related to HSW ?

So here the $1M question : Does anyone with a Police model experience the dreaded HSW ? If so, please post the year of production. Could this be the solution ?

OP
OP
Bike
05 St 1300 Hond
Thanks to all the replies. I will contact you Martin for a copy of that addendum as you live in the neighborhood. I don't know for sure, and it could be in my head but I feel that my 05 regular model whips thru the corners better than this one. I had brand new tires and burnt up some twisties in Utah, but I had a feeling that it didn't perform like my other one. Is this just in my head?? Maybe. Just surprized the dealers don't have this info. I even checked with one in Washington and their service tech said just tighten the pivot bolts up real tight. Not the answer I wanted to hear.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
This post made me wonder why the swing-arm bolts on the P-version are different. Could it be related to HSW ?
I've kind of wondered about that myself since the Europeans got all spooked about it and North American riders seem to have no problems with extended runs at high speeds.

--Mark

OP
OP
Bike
05 St 1300 Hond
So I go tit all put back together. The pivot bolt on the left side had two shims on it. They are hidden by a plastic collar over top of the pivot bolt, and hide the shims. A bit of Honda dressing I suspect. Service man. goes through a measuring procedure if you change out the SA bearings or pivot bolt. As it turn out, my shims are to spec. Seems to run just fine., but it sure is different than the regular model. Thanks Martin for lending that manual to me.

Top Bottom