First ride review of new ST1100

OP
OP
Forgot to add 2001 model abs/tcs/cbs with 31800 miles on clock.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Lol, that was quite the edit! Sorry I didn't have time to respond earlier. I was hoping the bike had more miles on it. There are several things that can contribute to vibrations. With 32k on the clock I might tend to think fuel (old, bad), carb sync,
air filter good, spark plugs/wires... not to rule out bad o-ring(s) in the rear end and lack of maintenance there. The moly could be dry, moisture might have gotten in there, check the level of the fluid in the rear end (sorry, blanking out on the proper terminology, but where the heavier gear oil goes in)... also might check the cush rubbers in the rear wheel, along with the metal part associated with those pieces.
Few things that come to mind. There is more, in the way of drive line, but with low miles, I'd hope that would be okay. There is always the possibility that the bike was rode really hard, too. Then who knows what it could be!?
Good luck. Maybe someone else will jump in with more.

John STeele
Peace and All Good

OP
OP
Lol I meant to edit it and in my mobile it's showing all the text and now it's just says great lol.

OP
OP
Lol, that was quite the edit! Sorry I didn't have time to respond earlier. I was hoping the bike had more miles on it. There are several things that can contribute to vibrations. With 32k on the clock I might tend to think fuel (old, bad), carb sync,
air filter good, spark plugs/wires... not to rule out bad o-ring(s) in the rear end and lack of maintenance there. The moly could be dry, moisture might have gotten in there, check the level of the fluid in the rear end (sorry, blanking out on the proper terminology, but where the heavier gear oil goes in)... also might check the cush rubbers in the rear wheel, along with the metal part associated with those pieces.
Few things that come to mind. There is more, in the way of drive line, but with low miles, I'd hope that would be okay. There is always the possibility that the bike was rode really hard, too. Then who knows what it could be!?
Good luck. Maybe someone else will jump in with more.

John STeele
Peace and All Good
Thanks for reply mate. The vibration is subtle. Idles on the button at 1000rpm when up to temperature. I may try a carb sync using Morgan carb tune kit I have. Not looked at final drive yet. Has a relatively new rear and front. The vibration is within the bars and pegs but not always. At certain rpm and gears it's so smooth. Think the metallic rustling when I rev at idle may be exhaust heat shield but it only does it sometimes. Should the engine thrum be as throaty as it sounds under acceleration. May be that I am just used to inline 4s (xjr1300/zzr1100). Had bmw as well.
Been back out riding again today for several hours and bike ran very well. Still subtle vibration. Could smell fuel a little but I have checked all this when airbox off etc and no leaks.

Cheers

Peter

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Peter, there are threads here dealing with fuel smell. You may want to investigate further, just to be safe.
Glad you're enjoying the bike!

John STeele
Peace and All Good

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
On my 1990 ST, I have dealt with a fuel leak from the fuel supply pipe where it splits and enters the carbs. The very end of the hose was a little perished and developed a small split (hardly surprising as I had the carbs on/off about 6 times getting the bike to run properly). I trimmed the end a little and it has been good ever since. The only time I have smelled fuel while riding was when I did not refit the fuel cap properly after a fill up, only one tang was engaged, and hard braking then accelerating would lead to a little whiff of fuel.

OP
OP
On my 1990 ST, I have dealt with a fuel leak from the fuel supply pipe where it splits and enters the carbs. The very end of the hose was a little perished and developed a small split (hardly surprising as I had the carbs on/off about 6 times getting the bike to run properly). I trimmed the end a little and it has been good ever since. The only time I have smelled fuel while riding was when I did not refit the fuel cap properly after a fill up, only one tang was engaged, and hard braking then accelerating would lead to a little whiff of fuel.
Thanks for reply. Seem the fuel cap is the common denominator. Will re check it. Went into garage and no smell today however.

Top Bottom