Helmets Klim Helmet Experience?

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I'm going to move from a full-face to a modular since the 1300's windscreen does such a fantastic job. I recently went to Cycle Gear and bought one of their Sedici Carbon Strada models that, while a pretty decent setup, at 3lbs 10 oz is kind of heavy. This is still a great weight compared to comparable offerings from Shoei, Bell, and others. I'm well within Cycle Gear's excellent 30-day return time frame to try something else.

So my research came across a Klim model TK1200 that comes in at an even 3 lbs, and has a Transitions face shield. Of course it's nearly twice the price of the Sedici but on a price par with the Shoei and Arai equivalents.

Then I found out today Klim is offering a limited replacement program for certain gear subjected to an accident, and low and behold the TK1200 is on the list. Not that I want to use this feature.....

Do any members have experience with Klim? At $599 I'd like a little reassurance before pulling the trigger.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have no experience with this helmet but I do with the Shoei modulars. I buy one every 4 or 5 years, after maybe 100,000 miles. Nothing breaks or falls off during that time, the strap doesn't even fray, I still am using the original visors and Pinlocks. Measured by the mile they are really cheap at $620. There is no way I'm leaving the brand especially at the price point. Though the Neotec is heavier it's CG is well positioned and weight has nothing to do with all-day comfort and durability. Sometimes I ride with the face shield up and the drop-down visor still gives my eyes and upper face excellent impact protection from bugs and foreign objects. A drop down visor has become a must-have feature for me and Shoei's is top notch both in clarity and operation.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
The weight of most new helmets is, to a degree, governed by what features it has:
Modular helmets weigh more than non-modular in the same lineage....moving parts and release mechanisms
Helmets with internal shields weigh more....not only the weight of the shield and contraptions to raise and lower them, but because the outer shell must be bigger to enclose those parts.

Weight should be secondary to fit

Have fun!

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Schuberth makes some of the quietest and lightest modular but they aren't cheap. I just went and read up on the KLIM sounds like a great helmet not a bad price either. But my Schuberth is only a year old maybe my next helmet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scott in PA
Bike
2003 ST1300A
So I took the Sedici back, and decided to wait until Spring to get the new helmet as the 30 day return policy would not help much if I bought the new helmet today and put the bike away for the winter next week!

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Scott
I just purchased a Klim model TK1200 and I have about three hunderd miles on it. It is one of the lightest helmets I have. I do wear custom ear plugs but I did ride without them to get an idea of noise levels and it is as quiet as my Shoei GT Air. I also wanted a helmet with a transition lens, which works very well! I plan to use it for up coming Moonshine run, which will be a good test for the helmet. So far I am happy with the purchase, it is a good value for the price.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
Saturday I picked up a klim krios, it's not modular but I wasn't looking for a modular helmet. it is not as plush as my shoei quest but very light weight, can't wait to try it on the mighty ST 1300 and the wing this spring

OP
OP
Scott in PA
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Scott
I just purchased a Klim model TK1200 and I have about three hunderd miles on it. It is one of the lightest helmets I have. I do wear custom ear plugs but I did ride without them to get an idea of noise levels and it is as quiet as my Shoei GT Air. I also wanted a helmet with a transition lens, which works very well! I plan to use it for up coming Moonshine run, which will be a good test for the helmet. So far I am happy with the purchase, it is a good value for the price.
Thank you for the update....you're helping reinforce my decision to order one. How did you find the sizing compared to your Shoei?

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Thank you for the update....you're helping reinforce my decision to order one. How did you find the sizing compared to your Shoei?
I ordered the same size as my Shoei and it fits the same. Adding my Sena 20 was a little tight but was able to add it.

Top Bottom