Clutch

Bike
95' ST1100
Gents and Ladies,

I have searched, but I am unable to find the answer to my questions so far. So, new thread is in order. Due to all of your great knowledge. I am sure someone will have the answers.

Q1: Inside the clutch MC, there is a little clip of sorts that is pushed into the center. I recently bled the clutch line and had to remove some gunk from the MC. upon doing so, that little clip came out. On the clip is a flat tab. Is that tab supposed to lay flush with the bottom of the MC, or is it raised?

I put it back in raised and need to know if I made a mistake. Easy enough to fix, but it seems to be operating as expected in this position.

Q2: I lost all pressure (resistance) in the clutch. Upon checking the MC, the level was low. I added new fluid and this did not resolve the issue. So, I checked the line. no cracks. I checked the slave and found a leak, but it was the weep hole. Cleaned it up and bled the system. The fluid is now clear and the pressure is back. However, I still see that it is weeping. What problems are associated with a weeping clutch?

I am guessing possible seal issue with the piston inside the slave, but don't want to go diving into the project only to find out it is safe and sound. Thoughts?

Thanks again for taking time to read and provide feedback. Everyone on here has been especially helpful.

Wade

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
The little clip sits in that fluid return hole, fully seated. I think its only purpose it to quiet the flow of the fluid back into the MC.

Sounds like you need to overhaul the slave. The weep hole is there to tell you the seal is leaking and help keep brake fluid from pushing past the oil seal into the engine.

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
The clip is to deflect squirting fluid up and out while actuating the piston with the lid off the reservoir. The bubbles come up through the open hole in the clip while performing the bleeding operation. If the flat of the clip isn't bent down enough, the fluid shoots right past out of the reservoir.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
95' ST1100
Thanks for the responses guys. I knew I could count on you. Looks like I will be ordering a rebuild kit and new gasket. sounds like a fun afternoon/evening.

OP
OP
Bike
95' ST1100
So, instead of getting rebuild kit for the slave, I just purchased a new one. However, I had also purchased a new seal for the pin. Good thing I did. The slave was worn, and it also allowed degradation of the seal for the pin. I tore that seal out with some pliers and pressed in the new seal (hand / wooden dowel and hammer), installed the new slave and bled the system. No leaks!

Oh, just a note to the first timers, when testing the clutch while on the center stand, make sure the side stand is up or the safety switch will kill the engine and you will scratch your head.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for updating this coolweed, especially the additional info about the pin seal.

Top Bottom