Article [11] ST1100 - Clutch Handle Assembly rebuild with pics

Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Let this bit of maintenance go a little too long so I thought I'd share what things look like when you rebuild the rod/bushing/boot components in the ST1100 clutch lever assembly.

I had noticed that the point in the lever pull at which the clutch was activating had slowly been changing and then recently it got to the point where clutch activation didn't occur until the very last bit of travel before the lever was pulled all the way to the grip. Yikes! And then when I would release it the clutch handle wouldn't spring all the way back open...

So I pulled up the collective wisdom here on the forum by searching "1100 clutch lever" and found this thread that sounded pretty much like what was happening to me.

Before I even opened up the assembly off to Partzilla I went and ordered the handle, bushing, rod & boot.

22884-MB0-006 ROD, PUSH $12.46
22885-MB0-006 BUSH $7.82
45504-410-003 BOOT $7.34
53178-KE8-006 LEVER, L. HANDLE $13.55

Total including $7.95 shipping was $49.12

So let's take a peek at what I was dealing with. Inspection before I took it apart showed me this...see anything that doesn't match your handle? Is the rod supposed to be visible? :)

The rod had worn all the way through not only the bushing...but also the handle itself! Double Yikes!

Comparison shot of the handles:

Comparison shot of the bushings:

Comparison shot of the rods. The rubber "washer" on the old rod is actually a piece of the boot that had disintegrated inside the assembly:

It is a simple assembly to inspect and repair if needed...takes 10 minutes and a flat head screwdriver. Very easy "first thing" to check if you think the feel of your clutch pull is changing.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Re: ST1100 - Clutch Handle Assembly rebuild w pics

Thanks for the great write up with pics. I just finished my rebuild overhaul of the assembly couple weeks ago and with your listing of parts can now replace the bushing, that is, as soon as it arrives. My current bushing was beginning to wear on one side.

Thanks again.

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS

Got my new bushing today and installed it tonite. Thanks again for the part number. Smooth as silk now and nice warm feeling equipment is just like new again.

OP
OP
smunderdog
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #

Glad the part list and photos were helpful.

The bushing (and maybe the rubber boot) definitely appear to be the parts that wear the most. Had I taken mine apart before I ordered parts I probably wouldn't have replaced the rod...and had I addressed things much earlier I'm guessing I wouldn't have needed to replace the handle either.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300

Nice Pics & Repair proceds. Good article. How many miles ??
YEA - That pushrod will wear right thru the lever if NOT caught in time !!
I let it go, the first time, ALMOST as far as yours, & had to make a spacer to shove in that pocket just to get home.
My clutch wouldn't disengage, if the bushing wore thru ! After that, I ordered about 2 at a time, to keep in stock.
Never needed a new Lever.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #

Nicely done.
(well except for the waiting too long bit! :) )

Thanks!
Mark

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Wow, your post came at a great time for me. I noticed the same issue the last time I went for a ride. Ordered the parts. Thanks for the post.

John-

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Oops - anyone know how much different the ST100 assembly is from the 1300?

The parts catalog gives a different part number for just a lever. Anyone need a
ST100 left lever?

John-

Last edited:

Ian ST1100

IanST1300
Bike
2004 ST1300
Thanks for this. Just checked mine and the bushing looks just like yours,"boot" and all.
Lever is fine so ordered the bushing and a new boot.
Cheers
Ian

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #

Glad the part list and photos were helpful.

The bushing (and maybe the rubber boot) definitely appear to be the parts that wear the most. Had I taken mine apart before I ordered parts I probably wouldn't have replaced the rod...and had I addressed things much earlier I'm guessing I wouldn't have needed to replace the handle either.
Got out to the garage today, and just thought I would take a look at both the clutch and brake levers condition after your post on this issue. Glad I did, both sides had quite a bit of wear on the pivot bushing. And on the clutch side, the boot is toast, but everything else cleaned up nice enough to keep me riding until I can get parts in hand.

Also addressed a issue with one of my throttle cables that could have caused problems with it very soon. All is good now with the cables, and they are operating smooth again.

Now I'm ready to go Ride!!

Gary.

Top Bottom