Do you ride in deer collision country? (By State)

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
<snip>
2. Deer are not the only species of wildlife to contend with. We have a very high populatioin of bears where I live too. And then there are turkeys, coyotes, wolves, coons, badgers, and dogs, cattle, horses, and debris falling from trucks and trailers./QUOTE]

I went back and read the link and it " ranks states by the potential drivers had of hitting a large animal, including deer, elk and moose over a given time period". Now don't get me wrong, Montana has plenty of deer but probably has the greatest range of large animals in the lower 48. But in last year, I've closer calls with moose, rocky mountain big horns, and antelope. I passed close by bison several times but they just pretty much stand there and don't really care what you do (don't honk!!!) though in the rut they can get a little testy.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
There's a lot of discussion in the past about deer whistles, the consensus being they don't work. Currently I'm using a deer horn. This is a powered device that emits a high pitch whine. Does it work? Probably no way of knowing. I installed it because it had a good review on Motorcycle Consumer News, the motorcycle magazine with no advertisements. I agree with the referenced State Farm link that one should not rely on such devices. On the other hand, it's worth the install if it's effective only part of the time (yes, I know the joke about wearing a charm to keep the tigers away).

John-

Bike
'16 or '08 Goldwing
There's a lot of discussion in the past about deer whistles, the consensus being they don't work. Currently I'm using a deer horn. This is a powered device that emits a high pitch whine. Does it work? Probably no way of knowing. I installed it because it had a good review on Motorcycle Consumer News, the motorcycle magazine with no advertisements. I agree with the referenced State Farm link that one should not rely on such devices. On the other hand, it's worth the install if it's effective only part of the time (yes, I know the joke about wearing a charm to keep the tigers away).

John-
I'm using the Hornet Electronic Deer Alert - 120 decibels - the only one that's been shown to work (most of the time)

Mine almost always makes them stop and/or run away. But, when bucks are hell-bent on getting a doe, they stop for nothing. I've parked the bike until the end of DST when I'll have daylight on my ride into work - extend my ride for a little while longer.

Sing to the one who rides across the ancient heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky. Ps 68:33

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I know several riders who believe their "near-hits" mean they have the experience and skills to avoid a strike.
Believe you me, this is definitely not the case!
We can reduce the risk a bit, but it's mostly a crap shoot if you're in a risky area.
(ps- seen some data that says whistles increase chances of a strike!)
IMG_4859a.jpg IMG_4858a.jpg LeftJacket.jpg
... And this one still had spots!

Bike
VStrom 650
Totally agree Playfair,
Skill will not stop a deer strike if they come out of nowhere, we have Muntjac and Roe Deer and dusk and dawn is the worst time.
Advanced observations and lowering your speed will help but the blumming things come from nowhere and always more than one. Whilst we are on the subject of things trying to kill us what about Pheasants. I think they were introduced from the far east, well they can have them back, pesky birds.
Upt'North.
Ride safe.

Bike
03 ST1300 ABS
Florissant, Colorado, USA. I have heard that mounting a deer whistle backwards will attract them (kidding). The mule deer are thick up here on these mountain roads. You need to consider concealment on the shoulders of the roads and definitely the time of day. If you see one deer, there are likely more that will panic to catch-up with the leader. If you are in deer country, dusk till dawn are the highest probability for deer strikes and if you must ride during that time consider slowing down!

Bike
03 ST1300 ABS
I once rode through a flock of geese that were taking off from the side of the highway. I actually ducked below the windscreen and and damn near hit the top of my helmet! I road through at least 2 swarms of honey bees as well. Sheesh!

Bike
2006 ST1300 PA ABS
I live in Utah and Colorado and there very thick here. I will do most anything not to ride at night. In Colorado on one a short 2 hrs night ride, I had to ride at night to get back to camp, i almost hit a deer, Elk and a Moose. A sad Caddy did that for me... totaled the rig. It would have killed me and my brother and probably only left it with a scratch. I have them over my property all the time. South of Moab, UT during there is a very, very dangerous area about 3-5 miles long that have signs with daily deer hit totals. A short around the mountain we stopped counting after reaching 100 and this was during the day.

So far i have been lucky and i continue to ride being very cautious.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I live in PA. and a deer jumped out in front of my bike from the woods in broad daylight and skimmed the front of my bike with it midsection. If I was going a second faster than 45mph I would have broad sided it and had a wrecked bike and probably broken something.
Moral of the story: always wear protective gear and be aware at all times.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Live and ride in Iowa... number 4 on the list. Can happen any time of day, just more likely at dawn or dusk. Been closest to impact with one on the bike in Wisconsin though (number 6). Also saw the smartest forest rat there... she was standing on the shoulder of the road just looking both ways before crossing. There was another cage coming one direction and I was going the other. We crossed each other just about where this deer was standing... waiting. Of course I was on the brakes and passed really slow but the deer just stood there and waiting until we were both past!

Oh, and don't forget. Where there is one there are more following.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I live in PA. and a deer jumped out in front of my bike from the woods in broad daylight and skimmed the front of my bike with it midsection. If I was going a second faster than 45mph I would have broad sided it and had a wrecked bike and probably broken something.
What will really bake your noodle is if you were going 2 seconds faster (55?) you would have missed the whole incident! :cp

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I've managed to hit one in my current state of NC, in the wifes minivan, it didn't have insurance, the deer, not the van. Two close calls on motos when I lived in NY, in one instance, I actually went under the deer as it leaped into the air looking for an escape route, it was on the Taconic I believe, notorious for deer strikes due to it being narrow, and closed in by trees, the second was a near hit, avoided by liberal applications of vinyl swallowing, sphincter clenching braking, IIRC that was on Bear Mountain. Both on my old GS850. I really really hate forest rats.
*Took out a racoon yesterday, in the jeep. I felt the bump.....

Top Bottom