Pirelli Angel GT's ??

WaterlooJay

R.I.P. - 2021/07/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2021 BMW RnineT UGS
STOC #
Re: Need new tires Pirelli Angel GT's ??

I have the GT's on my ST13.

Great tire, on dry and wet. Quieter than the PR 4's. 5000k so far no complaints.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar

I am happy with my Angel GT`s,,, with about 10000kms now on the front,,, and 5000kms on the A-spec rear. They perform very well,,, and don`t seem to be lacking much, as yet. I expect them to last me until this time next season,,, and if they don`t I will be disappointed. After all they are a premium priced tire. But, I have never run an equivalent PR4, or similar tire to compare it too. One concern I have is that I see a bit higher wear rate on the front tire,,, just left of center, than I would have expected to see. Cat`

I loved my ANgel GTs....however, I will never run another set. I measured tread depth as close to the center as possible on these tires (There are NO sipes anywhere in the center) and it had 3/32". After 500 miles, the cords were showing in the center. There was zero warning of the ultimate wearout. I refuse to run something that I never know if I can trust it.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar

I loved my ANgel GTs....however, I will never run another set. I measured tread depth as close to the center as possible on these tires (There are NO sipes anywhere in the center) and it had 3/32". After 500 miles, the cords were showing in the center. There was zero warning of the ultimate wearout. I refuse to run something that I never know if I can trust it.
You mean 5000 miles,,, right ??

Bike
2008 ST1300A Red

Went from a CT on the rear to the Angel GTs and Love them......Very smooth, just need to find out how many miles I can get.

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #

thanks guys, may go to these as I need tires next week at the latest before a trip down to the blueridge..

You mean 5000 miles,,, right ??
No...500. There was still a little over 2/32" depth showing in the sipes closest to the center, but cord was very visible for almost halfway around in the center. I was riding to Austin (Yes, I ride 504 miles to get my ST worked on by the best mechanic I've ever found) to get new tires mounted. The shop there is the best and most reasonable I've ever used. I figured I could get one more short trip out of them, but I had a long one planned, so I decided to change them early. The miles to Austin finished them off. The lasted right at 9600 miles, rode and handled great in all conditions, but gave zero warning for the cord show. I went back to PR4s. I've liked those for the two sets prior to the Angel GTs, but I wanted to try those. I ran PR2s (two sets) and PR3s (one set) prior to the PR4s. I like all of the mentioned tires. It's only the cord thing that bothered me.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar

Okay,,, gotcha,,, and this is worth noting because I have read other reviews that said to change them right on the wear bars or the cords will be exposed. Your comments had me out to the garage,, with flashlight in hand, for a close inspection. And I will be keeping a very close eye on the wear rates. Thx,,, Cat'

No...500. There was still a little over 2/32" depth showing in the sipes closest to the center, but cord was very visible for almost halfway around in the center. I was riding to Austin (Yes, I ride 504 miles to get my ST worked on by the best mechanic I've ever found) to get new tires mounted. The shop there is the best and most reasonable I've ever used. I figured I could get one more short trip out of them, but I had a long one planned, so I decided to change them early. The miles to Austin finished them off. The lasted right at 9600 miles, rode and handled great in all conditions, but gave zero warning for the cord show. I went back to PR4s. I've liked those for the two sets prior to the Angel GTs, but I wanted to try those. I ran PR2s (two sets) and PR3s (one set) prior to the PR4s. I like all of the mentioned tires. It's only the cord thing that bothered me.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A

I am on my 5th or 6th set of Angel GT tires on my ST1300!
After trying all of the popular tires, I will run no other tire on this bike for as long as they keep making them.
I average 9-10k miles out of a set, but it is worth it for the wet and dry handling.
I have had zero cupping, no noise, and no surprises with these tires.
I change my tires when I hit the wear bars (around 10k)
I run loaded, brake hard, and come out of corners hard etc.
I don't baby them.
I have never heard or seen a GT tire fail in 500 miles.
I would take that to the factory and see why it failed.
I would say try the tires, you will love how quiet and smooth they are.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #

I am about to replace my angle gt's with a new set, I got about 14,000 miles out of these but don't plan on putting many more miles on these. yes I did like them and going to stay with them for the mighty ST 1300

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #

I am happy with my Angel GT`s,,, with about 10000kms now on the front,,, and 5000kms on the A-spec rear. They perform very well,,, and don`t seem to be lacking much, as yet. I expect them to last me until this time next season,,, and if they don`t I will be disappointed. After all they are a premium priced tire. But, I have never run an equivalent PR4, or similar tire to compare it too. One concern I have is that I see a bit higher wear rate on the front tire,,, just left of center, than I would have expected to see. Cat`
The only A-spec rear I can find is not the standard size.. it's a 180/55 not 170/60?? does this make a big difference?
they do have an A-spec front in the proper size..

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar

Yes,,, you got it Ken. I have the 180/55,,, as it was more important to me to have the heavier carcass that the A-spec provides. It runs great,, and I push my tires pretty hard. It is 1% smaller,,, however you can't tell for either mileage or performance. Cat'

The only A-spec rear I can find is not the standard size.. it's a 180/55 not 170/60?? does this make a big difference?
they do have an A-spec front in the proper size..

Bike
2004 st1300

I've got about 4k mi. on my Angel GT's, I love them. I bought the ST used with a set of Pilot road 3's, they were ok,but once I switched to the Pirellis my cornering confidence is definitely better.

sniff.....sniff.....I am starting to feel like the maytag repair man..... :rofl1:
My ST was in your area (over the Golden Gate) this summer, but unfortunately, I was not on it (One of my sons was) or I would have stopped in. The guy in Austin is 500 miles, you are 1500 miles. I would trust you to make my ST new-I take the factory service manual with me to Austin...but he is GOOD!

Bike
2010 ST1300

I read Larry's original review of the Pirellis an popped for them. I love them - but I have to admit that I don't have a whole lot of experience with various tires on the ST. The GT's are sooo smooth and handle the curves so well that I will never look any farther for another brand of tire (or is it the bike?). Yes, I know, never say never. Thank you Larry, for the teriffic recommendation.

I do not have a tank of gas through the ST yet with my new Angel GTs, but like their smooth ride.

Top Bottom