Pirelli Angel GT's ??

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Re: Need new tires Pirelli Angel GT's ??

I personally stay away from any tools or tires made in China, but that's just me. I find some of the Taiwan tools to be much better than the china versions.
Like you, I don't want to be a test rider, I'd rather learn from other folks mistakes.
I believe there were a few posts on our forum about the Z8 tires, and IIRC not alot of folks liked them.
Lately I've been sticking with Pirelli (sister company to Metzeler) and Continental tires.
On my cages, I run General grabbers, and like them much better than Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin, etc. But that's another story.
Let us know how your new tires do.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar

Igofar,,, so,, the rear tire Roadtech 01 is made in Germany,, and the Z8 is made in China. This is likely because the 01 is a new design,, and the z8 has been around for a while. I did read up on the HD story regarding Metzeler manufacturing in Brazil. It was over 10 years ago,, and affected the bias ply design that was shifted there. Seems the HD solution was to run those tires 10psi over pressure. My new boots are all radial construction,, and the HD incident was quite some time ago. But you can bet that I will explore and evaluate very carefully. After all,,, I am very fond of the test riders,,,, Cat'

I will check the origin's in the morning,, Igofar. Thanks for the tip. In what way did the Brazilian HD tires under perform ?? Was the issue limited only to tires made for HD ?? As an engineer who worked for a world wide manufacturer,, named Dana,,, I saw many times how out sourcing to India/China/Mexico affected quality. Thx,, Cat'

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar

Good to know the whole story,, Igofar. I will keep posting on how I get along. And if it does not work out as I expect,, I will return to the Angel GT's,,, which I really liked (except for the durability of the front tire). Thx,,, Cat'

I personally stay away from any tools or tires made in China, but that's just me. I find some of the Taiwan tools to be much better than the china versions.
Like you, I don't want to be a test rider, I'd rather learn from other folks mistakes.
I believe there were a few posts on our forum about the Z8 tires, and IIRC not alot of folks liked them.
Lately I've been sticking with Pirelli (sister company to Metzeler) and Continental tires.
On my cages, I run General grabbers, and like them much better than Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin, etc. But that's another story.
Let us know how your new tires do.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

I have a good friend who works for the local Metzeler importer, and he has told me that the Angel GT is made on the same carcass as the Z8 in the Metzeler factory.

I have gone through a few sets of Z8's on my VFR and they are a great tyre, but the Roadtec 01's are better again. with a great comfy/stable ride and plenty of traction. I'd use them on my ST11 but they don't come in the right sizes, so I currently have an Angel GT front (my second) and T30 Evo back (replacing a BT020R), and they seem happy enough together.

I can second the bad Brazilian Metzeler experience, I used a bias-belted Lasertec front on my ST and it was truly awful, hard riding, slow steering, tramlining, poor wet grip and it wore out really quickly (4000km); the last was a blessing in disguise and I was glad to get rid of it. I'm very happy with the Angel GT.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar

That makes sense especially for the rear tire,, Terry. The Angel GT rear has an A-spec available in a 180w,,, while the Metz has the HWM spec (heavy weight motorcycle) in the same size. Beats me why Roadtec can't do a 120/70zr18 for the ST13,, since that size is available in both the GT and Z8 lineups. Cheers,, Cat'

I have a good friend who works for the local Metzeler importer, and he has told me that the Angel GT is made on the same carcass as the Z8 in the Metzeler factory.

I have gone through a few sets of Z8's on my VFR and they are a great tyre, but the Roadtec 01's are better again. with a great comfy/stable ride and plenty of traction. I'd use them on my ST11 but they don't come in the right sizes, so I currently have an Angel GT front (my second) and T30 Evo back (replacing a BT020R), and they seem happy enough together.

I can second the bad Brazilian Metzeler experience, I used a bias-belted Lasertec front on my ST and it was truly awful, hard riding, slow steering, tramlining, poor wet grip and it wore out really quickly (4000km); the last was a blessing in disguise and I was glad to get rid of it. I'm very happy with the Angel GT.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #

Cat,
I ran a Z8 front and 01 rear on my bike for about 4k kms. I had to swap them out for a new set of tires for a long trip (put on Angel GT's). I was happy with the Metzler combo. I plan on putting the half wore out ones back on and run them out and see how they do in the last half of their tread life. Wish they would make a front 01 in 18".
Rod

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar

Thanks for the input, Rod. I am still a big fan on the Angel GT's, and will be right back on them if the Metzeler's don't live up to my expectations. I would be interested in hearing how your front GT tire wears through it's last half-life. I took my front wheel off tonight,,, and with nearly 17,000km's on it. It is moderately cupped,, and worn hard on it's left side. It has done a good job,, and perhaps this is just normal wear for a single compound, silica rich, soft shoe. It seems to have worn out faster than the dual compound rear, and I just don't feel confident in it now,, or I would try to push it another 1000kms. On my old CB's,,, the front tire outlasted the rears 2 to 1. Seems to me that S/T riders and their big heavy high powered bikes are just harder on the front tire. Well,, If the weather co-operates,,, I should be out there testing a Z8/GT combo, by Friday afternoon. More to follow,,, Cat'

Cat,
I ran a Z8 front and 01 rear on my bike for about 4k kms. I had to swap them out for a new set of tires for a long trip (put on Angel GT's). I was happy with the Metzler combo. I plan on putting the half wore out ones back on and run them out and see how they do in the last half of their tread life. Wish they would make a front 01 in 18".
Rod

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar

Just an update. The new Z8 front rubber handles beautifully with the 3/4 done Angel GT A-spec rear. Cornering confidence is fully restored, after going through a prudent break in period. Very smooth transitions,,, likely similar to when my old front GT was new. My dealer who did the tire change, commented that the GT front "sure didn't owe me anything". So I will be having fun,, while watching the wear pattern on the new front Z8 over the next few weeks. It was only 2 or 3 weeks of use on the old front GT when I started to notice what I would call "tread related wear", beginning to show. The Z8 is markedly different in it's tread pattern,, so we shall see. About the end of August,,, the Roadtech 01 rear will go on for evaluation,,, cheers,, Cat'

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
Just got back from 4500klms trip out east and the tires performed very well. The last 1000klms the front did start to get louder and started cupping with 10k klms on them now. I would buy them again but with the A spec rear. However now that they are made in China I will see what the new reviews say

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Salt on the roads the last few nights means my riding season is done. And it also means my rear Angel GT 180/55zr17 A-spec is being "retired" (forgive that one) after 20,500kms. It is not quite on the wear bars,, and indeed seemed to be refusing to give up. Locally,,, I would ride it another 500kms, I believe. But I would not trust it to a long trip. It is time the rear came off for brake service reasons anyway. Time also to commend and recommend this tire,,, which in my opinion has done the excellent job I expect from premium priced rubber. Thanks Pirelli,,, Cat'

OP
OP
CDNolddude
STOC #
Salt on the roads the last few nights means my riding season is done. And it also means my rear Angel GT 180/55zr17 A-spec is being "retired" (forgive that one) after 20,500kms. It is not quite on the wear bars,, and indeed seemed to be refusing to give up. Locally,,, I would ride it another 500kms, I believe. But I would not trust it to a long trip. It is time the rear came off for brake service reasons anyway. Time also to commend and recommend this tire,,, which in my opinion has done the excellent job I expect from premium priced rubber. Thanks Pirelli,,, Cat'
. Cat, how many k’s did you get out of the front? I have a 6k trip planned for next June and have 11k on them now so not sure if they’ll make it

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Hi CDN,,, I changed out my Angel Gt front tire at nearly 17,000kms,,, and I should have done it about 1000 sooner. It was very cupped,,, and I was losing confidence in it. As I have described before,,, I only give that front tire an overall B-mark based on my own experience, and have not purchased it again. So I think you should go with a quality replacement a couple of weeks prior to your June trip. I would not want to be worrying about a wearing thin tire on one of my long trips. If you like the GT,, go that way again. I have been having great performance from a Metzeler Interact Z8 front tire for about 10,000kms now. I will quite likely buy this tire again,, for about next summer/fall. Have a great trip,,, Cat'

Top Bottom