Whine?

Hi All,

Did 300 miles on bike today and when decelerating I can hear a whine or a harmonic noise from either middle or rear of bike. Not sure. Pulled clutch in and noise still there. It's not loud under acceleration but maybe little louder upon deceleration. Checked front wheel bearings front wheel spun etc and all fine and rear. Is this a characteristic or something else? I am new to these bikes also.

Many Thanks

Peter

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Does it sound like George Jetson's space car??? :)

If so...it is the valve drive.....chain tension. Common noise on the 1300.

ToddC

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Is it at a specific speed or any time? I get some wheel whine or hum, not sure what to call it, at 45ish give or take. Kind of like truck tires humming but not that loud.

OP
OP
Does it sound like George Jetson's space car??? :)

If so...it is the valve drive.....chain tension. Common noise on the 1300.

ToddC
Sorry mate its the 1100. It's a different noise from the jetsons whine lol

OP
OP
Is it at a specific speed or any time? I get some wheel whine or hum, not sure what to call it, at 45ish give or take. Kind of like truck tires humming but not that loud.
It's slight on acceleration and can hear it on deceleration. Sometimes it does not do it. More noticeable on motorway at speeds above 45ish etc when I was heading back from Scottish Borders.

Cheers

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
It is probably gear whine from the gears that drive the cams. Not to worry about that.

Even though you have posted in the 1100 Tech section, some viewers go to the "What's New" section of the board and click on topics without noticing which bike, or sub section, it is relevant to. Thus the confusion over 1100 or 1300. To help clarify this for those not paying attention, it is helpful if you put your year and model in the info accompanying your name and avatar, as you see in mine.

OP
OP
It is probably gear whine from the gears that drive the cams. Not to worry about that.

Even though you have posted in the 1100 Tech section, some viewers go to the "What's New" section of the board and click on topics without noticing which bike, or sub section, it is relevant to. Thus the confusion over 1100 or 1300. To help clarify this for those not paying attention, it is helpful if you put your year and model in the info accompanying your name and avatar, as you see in mine.
Cheers mate. So it's normal. Pull clutch in can still hear it. Wouldn't be final drive or anything?

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
May be a noisy cam BELT tensioner or idler pulley bearing.

But there also is a characteristic whine from the straight-cut camshaft gears.

You may want to compare the sound with another ST1100 , if possible, to determine if you have a real problem or not. How many miles on your bike ??

Last edited:
OP
OP
May be a noisy cam BELT tensioner or idle pulley bearing.

But there also is a characteristic whine from the straight-cut camshaft gears.

You may want to compare the sound with another ST1100 , if possible, to determine if you have a real problem or not. How many miles on your bike ??
Hi. 32000 miles. Near enough a full service history. 2001 abs/tcs/cbs model.

Cheers

Bike
92 ST1100
It's slight on acceleration and can hear it on deceleration. Sometimes it does not do it. More noticeable on motorway at speeds above 45ish etc when I was heading back from Scottish Borders.

Cheers

So, tell me, when have you, or are going to change oil in that final drive?;). 75w-140 synthetic(Redline, Royal Purple,etc.) IS gonna be the best bet.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Possible the final drive...?
My '00 did that from day one, had the drive overhauled/adjusted under warranty: still present; changed the oil to higher viscosity: less audible, still there...
Approaching an intersection, disengaging the clutch to slow down and while coasting before applying brakes it goes "....yiiiing-yiiing-yiingyingyingying...", like the tranny of an old, rear wheel drive FIAT... :rofl1:
Problem is that its very silent, so no mech or other person ever notices it during a test-ride...
And neither my previous '92, nor the other '94 are showing it...

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Low mileage, but the grease in the pulley bearings is 15 years old ..........

Should be able to differentiate a whine from the engine/ trans from a rear drive whine, I would think ......

OP
OP
So, tell me, when have you, or are going to change oil in that final drive?;). 75w-140 synthetic(Redline, Royal Purple,etc.) IS gonna be the best bet.
Doing it soon. Full service and carb balance over the next few weeks.

Cheers

OP
OP
Its easy enough to determine whether its engine noise or rolling noise. Find a stretch of quiet road, get it to produce the whine. Pull the clutch in and let the revs drop. Or to be more certain, pull the clutch in and cut the engine (red cutout switch). If it is still there, it must be wheel /brake / final drive related. (Make sure you have the clutch pulled in when you turn the red cutout switch back on and then release the clutch gently - the engine will restart as the clutch engages and you can then match the revs of the engine to the speed of the bike.)

If it disappears when the engine isn't running, then the whine must be related to the engine running -in which case you should be able to hear it when the bike is stationary. A stethoscope, or a screwdriver blade held against various parts of the engine with the handle held against the ear reveals the location of all sorts of noises.

The there's the 'gotcha' whine which can come from the plastic radiator grill covering, and /or where the clear the windshield meets the black lower windshield. I found at some speeds the air flow can get into the gaps and create a whistle / whine.
At motorway speeds I have pulled clutch in and noise is there. Have not tried killswitch yet but will do. Can't hear it at idle only when getting up to speed and moreso decelerating. Not loud but I can hear it.

Cheers

OP
OP
Possible the final drive...?
My '00 did that from day one, had the drive overhauled/adjusted under warranty: still present; changed the oil to higher viscosity: less audible, still there...
Approaching an intersection, disengaging the clutch to slow down and while coasting before applying brakes it goes "....yiiiing-yiiing-yiingyingyingying...", like the tranny of an old, rear wheel drive FIAT... :rofl1:
Problem is that its very silent, so no mech or other person ever notices it during a test-ride...
And neither my previous '92, nor the other '94 are showing it...
That's what it's like. I thought initially was engine noise or possibly wind through mra vario or other areas of fairing radiator etc. Did you have issues with final drive doing this even after investigation etc?

Cheers

OP
OP
Low mileage, but the grease in the pulley bearings is 15 years old ..........

Should be able to differentiate a whine from the engine/ trans from a rear drive whine, I would think ......
It's subtle and seems to be from centre I think of bike. Only notice on motorways. Slight on acceleration and slightly more on deceleration.

Cheers

OP
OP
No, packed 75W140 Bel-Ray gear safer into the drive, noise still present, 90.000 trouble free km now...
Hoping that's all it is. Changing final drive oil and will have a look at splines and re lube them.

Top Bottom