Extra cargo capacity for the goldwingers!

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
This past week while my wife and I were riding the Cherohala skyway, we saw a goldwing equipped with a hitch mounted Givi trunk. He had installed extra lights for the brakes, and directional turns. Was very well done.
Kind of looked like this, but was wired for the lights.
BestemT-Box929-back.jpg

I am thinking about doing this for my extended "one up" touring in the future.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I saw a 1500 wing with a 1500 trunk mounted on the hitch rack like that with all the lights working. I don't take a passenger and was going to put an 1100 wing trunk on the hitch rack of my 1500 wing and just add some led lights to it but not sure what to do with my wing since I got the mighty ST 1300

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
In AZ it may attract a LEO, due the license is obstructed. YMMV
The first thing I thought when I saw that-- red light camera proof!

From that angle it does appear to obscure the rear plate but I'd want to see it from the front seat.

If a state has a distance requirement then it could be a problem. But I see lots of plates that are partially obscured by oversize license plate frames trailer hitches and illegal (in CA) plastic covers (most often tinted). Yeah a big YMMV.

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
In AZ it may attract a LEO, due the license is obstructed. YMMV
The mount system pictured you can clearly see there is a pronounced upward offset in the receiver tube. It may be that the owner of that particular wing did not want the exhaust spilling out on the Givi trunk. My wing has the turned down tips and would allow a slightly less higher offset. The view of the license plate would be better, although not 100%.

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
But I see lots of plates that are partially obscured by oversize license plate frames trailer hitches
I've seen many vehicles with hitch racks... especially folks going camping, tailgate parties, etc with the license plates completely obstructed... I would guess there would be some LEO's not willing to ruin the occasion. If it looked like the set up was more permanent, like a work truck... then I think a chat with the LEO would be in order. Some folks with the rascal(motorized wheel chair) racks mounted on their vehicles have moved the tag to the rack itself.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Just move the license plate to the new rear. When I mounted my toolbox on the trailer hitch I moved the license plate as well. Used a LED license plate bolt to illuminate it. Definitely no need to have conversation with the constable.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
For me, the pak-it rak was a better option... maybe not as secure, but more versatile due to the shape and you end up with a rack you can also use for a cooler.

Now, what I did was had a friend of mine handy with a welder make a rack then I purchased the Nelson Rigg GWR-1000 which is pretty much the same one as the pak-it rak..

Top Bottom