Went to the darkside...

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Skip, I think a new shock will handle most of your concerns... for the time being, just bring it up here and we can remove a little bit from the tire... will only take a couple of minutes and we won't even have to remove the tire.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I had some plastic rubbing when I first mounted the GYTT after running the Hankook. It stopped after a while...lol

Bike
'08 ST1300
When I order a new tire for the Wing, It will be the new Michelin Premier A/S to replace the Alpin.
to skipcurt: hope it works out for you; lots of experience on this forum;

to Vinny:
I am not a darksider yet; still weighing costs vs benefits; risk mgmt; but this tire--"Michelin Premier all season w/evergrip" if can find suitable size really seems made to order;

to 970Mike:
the next candidate for clinical trials? (need 16in for goldwings; 17in size for st13's?)

[video=youtube;qgougHTBL7A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgougHTBL7A[/video]

Last edited:
Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Same size? 205/50-17? Also, is that the Evo 2?
yes---i would never put on a tire that would require me grinding on frame to make it fit, if its that tight it is not safe. The Hankook should get you a good 15,000 miles and a very high performance sticky tire. I inflate to 28 psi for better life, over inflating causes center of tire to wear quicker.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
Went Double Dark last year with the HanKook pictured above. No rubbing anywhere on my 06 ST. 6,800 miles and only down 1/32" for tread-ware near as I can measure. Started off at 37psi in the rear for the first 5K miles, and have since dropped it to 28psi. Much better ride. I didn't realize that the EVO 2 was still available. Great entry level tire for getting a feel for the force...

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
Well, I was organizing my garage from the many projects that I have going on around the house and I was moving the bike by hand. I was on the left (clutch) side so the bike is naturally leaning a bit to the left. Heard a squeak and felt a little resistance. Didn't really like the way it felt so I did a little feeler gauge test with some milk jug plastic. Sure enough while it's on the kickstand there is no gap between the tire and the swingarm. Got to work removing everything to take off the rear wheel to investigate. Deflated the tire and wrestled that puppy out of there and this is what I see. Pretty fair amount of rubbing mostly tire to plastic and a little on the swingarm. The red straight line in the pics is where we sanded down the extra rubber from the molding. The red circles are where it was rubbing.

I don't think I'll be using this particular darkside tire going forward. Need something not as wide so guess I'll start reading to find the next most popular darkside tire or....back to PR4's.
Just found this post. That's just what mine looked like. wear in the plastic. I took a belt sander to the tire and finally removed enough rubber at the very side.

Top Bottom